1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

max tire size on stock height with 16x8 with 2.25 backspace?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hugh Flung Pu, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Jun 2, 2013 at 11:22 AM
    Hugh Flung Pu

Hugh Flung Pu [OP] New Member

Member:
    Pro comp makes some 16x8 steels with a 2.25 backspace.

has anyone run these and what would be the max tire size you can mount with minor/no issues at stock height?

I would like to widen the stance without using spacers if possible, while also running skinnier tires such as 255/85/16. I can't see it rubbing at full lock with skinny tires and a backspace of 2.25, even if its a full 33" tire. But then again i'm only human and I haven't tried it or seen it personally. I'm also concerned about it rubbing the fender on the trail.

and when I say widen the stance I mean flush or poking out a bit. I was never a fan of the sunk in look.

2. Jun 2, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Lol 2.25 BS will be poking out a out two inches past the fenders, if not more.

3. Jun 2, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    stock tire size with that BS sounds like its going to rub.

4. Jun 2, 2013 at 12:08 PM
    Hugh Flung Pu

Hugh Flung Pu [OP] New Member

Member:
    that's what i'm hoping for :D

can you explain a bit more in depth? :confused:

5. Jun 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Dude, I'm running 4.5 BS plus spindles that add another 3/4 or so...I'm almost an inch past the fenders...with 2.25...you'd look like you have LT...but don't..

6. Jun 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    And yea, you'd rub

7. Jun 2, 2013 at 11:37 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    ok,

your wheels make an arc when you turn them from full lock to full lock. if you push your tires out further that "arc" increases.

imagine you are looking at one of those huge wind turbines for wind energy. if you go out on the blade 5 ft. the distance that point will travel around the circle is much less than the very tip of the blade. this is a huge difference but the same idea works for your wheel turning arc. the further you push your wheel out with the hub in the same spot. the greater arc you will have and thus will push your tire into the fenders.

I had the same problem running 1.25 spacers.

Hope this helps explain it.

Products Discussed in

To Top