1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone with 35"s have ongoing problems?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rmarqu2, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Jun 2, 2013 at 11:12 PM
    rmarqu2

rmarqu2 [OP] YES... i am a murse....

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Baton Rouge
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4
    FOX 2.5 coilovers, FOX 14" rears, AP expos, AP front plate bumper and skid, lightforce 240 blitz, warn m8000, 3/8 amsteel, BAMF sliders, cheap Chinese rock lights, ARB lockers all around
    Hey guys I know there's a thread on how to do the modifications to make 35"s fit but I'd like to know if anyone heard of problems that someone might experience afterwards, or did they regret doing it?

2. Jun 2, 2013 at 11:58 PM
    Soft Taco

Soft Taco For Love of Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 4WD Auto DCLB TRD Sport
    Plenty of people run 35"s... but why not stick to 33"s? Better mpg, better power to wheel ratio. faster accel. Less strain on multiple parts. Hell, I run 265s... aka 31.5ish. I love them. Now, my local delaership has a sexy 13 white DCSB stormtrooper on 35"s they did themselves. Brand new truck all custom modded. They honor the warranty and everything.... so.... it can be done.

3. Jun 3, 2013 at 12:21 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Well, you can count on taking a hit in the wallet for sure, both in cost of tires, gears (which I'm almost certain you'll want) and of course fuel. You may need new wheels as well depending on BS.

Of course rubbing will be an issue and probably an ongoing one until you take drastic measures. Then theres the consequence of some of the modifying you do isn't easily reversible. Smashing the firewall can't really be undone, cutting the fenders... well it can be band-aided (by leaving tabs for stock flares) or you can try and find entirely new ones (not easy).

After you drop all the cash and continue to, and then have modified appropriately you're going to wheel and chances are you'll never have a problem but compared with 33s the chances of breakage increase. How much? Who knows! I broke a side gear with 35s, which ruined and axle shaft (which still cost a lot of money and that was with me buying a used shaft, installing the bearing, installing the axle, installing the 3rd, and getting the 3rd partially warrantied - which may be out of the realm of possibility for most), fluke? Probably. Really that's the risk of off road but I think you certainly increase the risk with 35s. To a fault? Probably not, people blow shit up with 33s too, but it's something to consider.

Do I regret it? Yes and no. Would I have reversed it had I not bought another vehicle to build up (a 92 FJ80)? No, I'd have kept my 35s.

I love my truck, I love wheeling, but it's not the best DD and not the best wheeler, it does both well but not great. That's why I bought the FJ and went back to 33s.

4. Jun 3, 2013 at 12:22 AM
    Blacktacoma23

Blacktacoma23 If your tires don't rub you can fit bigger tires

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mall Crawler/84'
    6" BDS DB, 37", Dirt King, Total chaos UCA's w/ Heims, Fox c/o's, 4-banger fenders, 37" Nittos, 4.88 w/ rear ARB, AP Expos, 17x9 Method beadlocks, cab mount relocation, "Insain fab" tub, 5% tint, 10" Rockford Fosgates, Magnaflow 18" custom catback exhaust, AFE intake, Trail Gear bumper, Crown brake lines F/R
    Only slightly regretted doing it on a 3" lift, cuz it would rub turning into parking lots:eek:

edit: unless you full on tub the wells like a few guys

5. Jun 3, 2013 at 12:29 AM
    tacokid09

tacokid09 it's about the off-road miles

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian aka B-Lang
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra
    i love my 35s... haha.

only think im starting to worry about are my wheel bearings. right now my trucks at about 70k and been hitting the dunes since 36k.

6. Jun 3, 2013 at 6:15 AM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    The weight of your tire/wheel combo will more likely have the bigger affect on things breaking/wearing faster.

I honestly couldn't tell much of a performance loss going from 285's to 315's. Lost maybe 1.5 mpg - but gained 5 spg's. The slight clearance increase has made a huge difference in clearing obstacles I used to get hung up on. No regrets.....

7. Jun 3, 2013 at 6:27 AM
    Bogg

Bogg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Surrey, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4x4
    :popcorn

8. Jun 3, 2013 at 6:39 AM
    thegreatwall23

thegreatwall23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Off Road
    Armor Shrockworks front bumber Shrockworks Rock Sliders Brute Force Rear Bumper XRC8 with synthetic rope Relentless Full Skid Pack Suspension Icons 2.5 extended travel all around with King 14" 700# Springs Icon Tubular UCA's All Pro Standard Leaf Pack 3 degree axle shims Wheelers front bumpstop U bolt flip kit Timbren rear bumpstop Mods rear diff breather fog light anytime ABS Disable TPMS disable Door Chime disable Seat Belt Chime Disable Cab Mount Chop Pinch Weld Mod BHLM Other 4.56 Nitro gears FX-R Retrofit HID's with Halos PIAA fogs and driving lights Wet Okole seat covers Weather-Tech floormats Access LiteRider bed cover AMP bed extender Viair 450P-A Rocky Clutch SD mounts Pop-n-lock tailgate lock Aux rear lights Rear sliding window security bar B.A.M.F Light Bar Ultragauge 48" Hi Lift Jack with Bed Rail Mount Bushwacker Fender Flares ECGS PTFE Bushing SS Brake Lines Brembo Blanks Hawk HPS In cab winch control (12voltguy) Tint
    I have had no issues... I did have to replace my wheel bearings, but that is when I still had 33's. As everyone else has said, you will have to do some major trimming if you are running a 3 inch lift. Cab mount, pinch weld, fenders, etc... Probably set caster forward as well on alignment.

9. Jun 3, 2013 at 6:40 AM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    60k miles on 35's here with no problems from running them!

10. Jun 3, 2013 at 9:13 PM
    rmarqu2

rmarqu2 [OP] YES... i am a murse....

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Baton Rouge
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4
    FOX 2.5 coilovers, FOX 14" rears, AP expos, AP front plate bumper and skid, lightforce 240 blitz, warn m8000, 3/8 amsteel, BAMF sliders, cheap Chinese rock lights, ARB lockers all around
    Cool. Good info guys. I was thinking of getting a set of 35"s JUST for wheeling and keeping the 33"s for the road. Been high-centering alot is the reason I'm thinking of it...

Products Discussed in

To Top