1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toyota Service Department Report....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PPower05, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Jun 3, 2013 at 12:52 PM
    PPower05

PPower05 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Perry
    Ranson, WV
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5
    Thought I would share my experance with my local service department in hopes the same nightmare doesn't happen to anyone else.

Purchased my 2010 Tacoma (Off Road, DC) new from Apple Valley Toyota in Martinsburg, WV in 2010, paid cash for the truck. I have been to other dealerships in other areas for work on the same truck due to close proximity to my work (blower motor fan, CD Changer jammed, and one alignment). At approx. 25000 miles, I noticed a slight noise coming from my left front (drivers) side wheel, figured it was due to a tire wear, etc.... Since that time, the noise has gotten progressivly louder at all speeds, so I took it into a reputable auto shop locally. I really didn't have a chance to get it done sooner as my wife and I had our first son. Mechanic sucessfully diagnosed the problem as a bad wheel bearing. I called the dealership, and asked if this was covered under my powertrain warranty, and they said it was. Made the appointment that day (approx. 1 week ago), and the "service coordinator" assured me the part would be in stock upon my arrival. Our family has a camping trip planned this weekend with my 19 foot RV, and this is our tow vehicle. Switch over car seats to our Corrola, and load up the teething 6 month old, make the 20 minute drive to the dealership. We drop the truck off, and run errands/kill time for 2.5 hours until I get a call back. The service department advises me that it is in fact a bad wheel bearing, and they would have to order the part..... I am pissed. Go back to Toyota, learn the manager is at lunch, and have to speak to the assitant manager. Tell him the story, at which point he has to pull up all records, etc, wait for another 15 minutes. During that time, he instructed his coordinators to get me set up in a rental car, and start getting my info. I was amazed. I was actually really pissed about the situation, but for once in my life, the stealerships DID THE RIGHT THING!! I can clearly see the man is trying to do right on his wrong instead of give me some BS excuse. Long story short, I am less pissed now, and we agreed upon a free tire rotation. I return to get my truck tommrow, and they are pulling the part off another job to put on my job. Remember people, the dealerships have the ablity to make things right, it is all a matter of who you talk to, and if they want to do their jobs.... I was completely expecting a run around, but they owned up to the mistake, and did everything they could to make it better. We walk away, and I decide I am going to get some Pink Coolant from the parts department. They want $28.50 per gallon (plus tax)... Seemed awfully high... Probably could have gotten that too, but it was already too late.... END RANT>

2. Jun 3, 2013 at 1:46 PM
    Mattnatti

Mattnatti TEQ HED

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    12' reg cab 4x4 2.7L auto
    I would have not made such a big deal about it and when the job wasn't complete made them give me a equivalent loaner truck. Then pulled your camper with their truck all weekend. Just a thought.

Glad it did work out for you though.

3. Jun 3, 2013 at 3:42 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    I was expecting something horrible. It wasn't a nightmare by any means. They did everything to make it right. Some dealerships wouldn't have done shit. So really, you are lucky. There was no need for the over exaggeration though. Just a thought!

4. Jun 3, 2013 at 3:45 PM

169.254.255.201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Interwebs
    I too was expecting a horror story.. Good to hear though!

5. Jun 3, 2013 at 3:46 PM
    PPower05

Member:
    First Name:
    Perry
    Ranson, WV
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5
    No over exaggeration, just surprised that they would do all of that.... I have purchased 3 new cars over that past 5 years, and this is the only one that would do something like this.... I am really actually quite impressed. More to just to let others know what they can do if they encounter a dealership that "wont do shit", as I have encountered Toyota dealerships that have done just that.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  6. Jun 3, 2013 at 3:53 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    I wish EVERYONE would read the Op's Rant and the post that follow..

OP learned ( I hope) a lesson in "Stealerships" ( I hate that term but will do).....

The post follow up was GREAT...Why BLOW-Up on something Before you get answers..

Folks, I have clearly posted that I use 2 dealers here in tiny NH BUT their CSR is what makes or breaks me...Yell, hell no I go to the other dealer and they respond by "upping " their odds on a customer being happy...

Toyota has been good to me since 1981 and that CSR is what keeps me purchasing them...If I have to yell at a Dealership,the next move will be a different brand...SIMPLE....

7. Jun 3, 2013 at 9:22 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    That's cool, glad they did the right thing. I wouldn't know, I never even let them look at my truck once I left the lot at purchase. Just had my middle U joint replaced at a local mechanic. Think the dealership would do that for $100? Don't think so. My drivers side wheel bearing is starting to make slight noises (I just did a front brake pad/rotor replacement and that side makes a little noise, pass side nothing). Guess where I'll be going.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  8. Jun 4, 2013 at 4:55 AM
    PPower05

Member:
    First Name:
    Perry
    Ranson, WV
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5

I don't like going there, but the shop wanted somewhere around $300-400, and if I went to Toyota, it was free!

9. Jun 4, 2013 at 5:45 AM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Did they address why a wheel bearing would go out with so little mileage?

10. Jun 4, 2013 at 5:55 AM
    Agent Smith

Agent Smith Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad Ivan Stewart Edition
    Toytec lift,FJ Anthracite wheels wrapped in BFG A/T 265/75/16's,WAAG Brush Guard, IPF 868's,sleeved fog lights
    $28.50 a gallon for our pink pre mix coolant isn't that bad. I paid $26 on eBay with free ship and that was the cheapest I could find it anywhere. Guy is now sold out though.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Jun 4, 2013 at 11:10 AM
    MadMan

MadMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indy
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD sport
    De-badged and blacked out
    This is our 8th Toyota from same dealer.
    Took mine to get free oil change, even knowing I only have 2200 miles on her, but she is 6 months old, so it was time. (I have other vehicles and only use truck for my business)

My service adviser said I can bring it in as often as I want, during first 24 months and they will change it free of charge, even if it's every 1000 miles.

He said: "Just see me and I will take care of you". :)

28 minutes later I was on my way home with oil/filter change and tire rotation.

12. Jun 4, 2013 at 11:48 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    Local dealer here, gave me a free overnight loaner when I brought mine in for the "accelerator pedal" recall even with the truck many many miles out of warranty. That was after I had waited several hours then they ran into some computer problem doing the ECU reprogramming steps.

I did hear a long parade of service writer to customer consultations selling folks (a lot of women) $50 wiper blades and $75 cabin air filters while waiting though.

Products Discussed in

To Top