Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

HOW TO: Changing Third Brake Light

Old 02-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
I AM THE GREAT CHACHOLIO!!!
TheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
TheTacoManChach's Tacoma Gallery
HOW TO: Changing Third Brake Light

Ok So What it takes to Change your Third Brake light!

You Need:
A towel or cushion of some sort
A number 3 Torx Bit
A Chizel

So this is a little more difficult then your tail lights... because its sticky...

Only 2 Torx screws hold the light in.

Now use your Torx bit and screw driver to remove them torx screws.

Now that the screws are out the red face plate will just come off easily.
Remove it so it doesnt fall off during the next step.

You now need the towel(cushion) and chizel.
You have to get the chizel behind the light and wedge it out all the way around. Its stuck on their pretty good so work it all the way around. Make sure you keep the towel in between the chizel and the truck!

Now its out unclip the harness.

Now that the old brake light is out. Remove all the sticky stuff that was holding it on. I just peeled most of it off with my fingers, the foam is the main part you want off so that it doesnt get in the way of the new foam on your new light.

Now connect your new light.

Remove all wrapping and that is on your light. And remove the backing that was keeping your new foam from sticking to stuff prematurely.
Line the holes up with the old screw holes. And put the old screws back in.

Make sure the screws are tight. You won't have to worry about over tightening them due to what they sit in. If you over tighen it just slips back. So if it does happen just re tighten to just before that point.

Hopefully this helps anyone worried it might be to difficult. Or didn't wanna risk starting something that they weren't sure how to finish.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
TheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud of

Navy: Equipment Operator 1st class
Name: Aaron
TheSchwartz's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you get that light?
Old 02-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
TheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud ofTheTacoManChach has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwartz View Post
Where did you get that light?
wooddashexperts.com

Its the Bermuda 3rd brake light...
Old 02-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
Redneck from the hills
cbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
cbcs1987's Tacoma Gallery
cool. you got any night pics?
Old 02-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
Okkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to behold

Okkine's Tacoma Gallery
Good to know, Thanks!! Now I just need to find a cargo light that fits there
Old 02-23-2009, 07:51 PM   #7
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
damnit! the new trucks are so easy to work on! My 96 i tried to take the 3rd brake light out, and i didnt know it had 2 bolts holding it on(that you have to drop the headliner to get to) so it broke..I had to use this stuff thats like a silicone, but it hardens up to put my light back in..It looks ok, but I know otherwise..
Old 02-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #8
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
Awesome. It's on the list!
Old 02-24-2009, 06:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
damnit! the new trucks are so easy to work on! My 96 i tried to take the 3rd brake light out, and i didnt know it had 2 bolts holding it on(that you have to drop the headliner to get to) so it broke..I had to use this stuff thats like a silicone, but it hardens up to put my light back in..It looks ok, but I know otherwise..
I have a guide for how to do it in a 96 also...
It takes new screws and new clips that were provided to me with the light... Thumbs up to bermuda
Old 03-18-2009, 05:41 PM   #10
MAR69 is on a distinguished road
MAR69's Tacoma Gallery
hi my name is mauricio from chihuahua, mexico.

i got mine, clear red led, please see some pictures, ( on, off) and the procedure to install
Attached Thumbnails
HOW TO: Changing Third Brake Light-dsc03037.jpg   HOW TO: Changing Third Brake Light-dsc03038.jpg   HOW TO: Changing Third Brake Light-ccf19032009_00007.jpg  
Old 04-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #12
awoit will become famous soon enough

awoit's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to awoit
so my TRD access cab only reflects it never lit up does that mean i can buy a bulb and put it in place or do i need to buy a whole new box/piece that fits into the slot as well as the bulb itself?
Old 04-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by awoit View Post
so my TRD access cab only reflects it never lit up does that mean i can buy a bulb and put it in place or do i need to buy a whole new box/piece that fits into the slot as well as the bulb itself?
well if the bulbs look burned out thats possible...
but its probably a blown fuse
Old 04-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #14
INDIGO7 is on a distinguished road
INDIGO7's Tacoma Gallery
When reinstalling the two(2) torx screws make sure the rubber washers are
installed also. They were supplied with the 3rd brake light kit. Otherwise
the light will fill with water.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:41 PM   #15
awoit will become famous soon enough

awoit's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to awoit
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTacoManChach View Post
well if the bulbs look burned out thats possible...
but its probably a blown fuse
im pretty sure that my model (access cab trd off road) doesnt come with a third brake light its just a reflector unless im mistaken...
Old 04-04-2009, 08:45 AM   #16
MAR69 is on a distinguished road
MAR69's Tacoma Gallery
Please take some pic to us

i don undertand you does have a third ligth!!!!
Old 06-23-2009, 06:26 PM   #17
Im kinda a big deal
JHAirForce05 is a glorious beacon of lightJHAirForce05 is a glorious beacon of lightJHAirForce05 is a glorious beacon of lightJHAirForce05 is a glorious beacon of lightJHAirForce05 is a glorious beacon of light

Air Force: 2T251*Air Transportation*437th APS
Name: Justin
JHAirForce05's Tacoma Gallery
Looks nice.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #19
Grease Monkey
glandnut will become famous soon enoughglandnut will become famous soon enough

glandnut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okkine View Post
Good to know, Thanks!! Now I just need to find a cargo light that fits there
Yeah, really! Some Fords have the cargo/bed lights built into the 3rd brake light, someone has to have made this by now for our Tacos, right?
Old 11-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #20
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by awoit View Post
im pretty sure that my model (access cab trd off road) doesnt come with a third brake light its just a reflector unless im mistaken...
You're mistaken. If it isn't illuminating it is broken.