Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma thread I found on my gun forum...

Old 02-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma thread I found on my gun forum...

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotenator View Post
I have driven Toyotas of some discription for over 20 years ,and have had nothing but good things to say about the company,their engineering,vehicle longevity and performance.All that has changed after my purchase of an '09 Tacoma late last month.I noticed on the way home with it that everyone seemed to be in a bigger hurry than normal, but it didn't click until I installed my GPS in it a few days later that the speedometer was off.I checked my speedometer against the speedo check section of highway not far from my house ,and found that it agreed with my GPS.I even asked an WSP officer that was fueling his car next to me ,if he would pace me for a mile or so on the highway (most departments calibrate speedos on a regular basis), and again the results were the same. My speedo reads fast by almost 7% ,which translates to 4 MPH at 60.This may not sound too bad until you realise what this affects.My factory 36 Mo 36000 mile warranty will expire early by 2500+ miles which is a couple of months normal driving for me.My 84 Mo 100,000 mile extended warranty that I purchased will expire almost 7000 miles early or nearly 5 Mo.When I contacted the dealer they had me bring it in and checked it.They told me that it was within spec., and there was no way to calibrate it so that it would read properly.The Toyota "acceptable indication error" sheet I was shown is heavily weighted to the high side( 59.5 -63.5 at 60 MPH for example)I contacted Toyota directly and got the same answer, "we are real sorry, but not enough to do anything about it".Basically Toyota has decided that they will cut their warranty costs,increase their MPG ratings(1.3mpg in my case) and shorten their maintenance intervals(get to sell more filters and oil) ,on the customers dime.If Toyota engineers can't figure out a speedometer(a seemingly simple task that car makers have been doing accurately for over 100 years) ,it doesn't infuse me with confidence in the truly important engineering tasks like drivetrain, electronics and safety.I urge all of you who own Toyotas and for that matter any make car or truck, to check and see if your speedo is accurate.I have a feeling that this is not an isolated incident, and you should see if your warranty will run out sooner than it should, and if so let the car makers hear about it.If we make enough noise they will at least know that they were caught in their little scam, and might think twice next time some bean counter comes to them with this kind of crap.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
my speedo was off in my 07 and 09....but the odo was dead on. now that i've added larger tires, the speedo is dead on and the odo reads slow, so i extended my warranty
Old 02-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
my speedo was off in my 07 and 09....but the odo was dead on. now that i've added larger tires, the speedo is dead on and the odo reads slow, so i extended my warranty
Yeah, me too.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
It's not just Toyota....my 04 Honda Sabre motorcycle is off almost 10%. There were many threads like this on an owners forum for the bike.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting....My thought is that I would imagine every speedo in every vehicle is going to be inaccurate to a certain degree.I'm certainly not prepared to write off the quality of my truck,or the integrity of a company because of it.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
On my 1st gen the speedo reads fast too..those portable radar signs cops put here and there, i'll do exactly 55 by the speedo, the sign says I'm doing 53. Stock wheel and tire sizes. Guess Toyota figured they got away with it for a long time, why worry about it now.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
All these "smart" people gauge the accuracy of the ODO on the speedo's accuracy. With a GPS, why didnt he just reset the "Trip" in the truck, and the "Trip" on the GPS, and see if they are much different. Dam near every vehicle is gonna have a difference in the speedo readout. Hell, my Bikes spreedo was of by 12 mph at 70. BUT, the ODO's are pretty spot on.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:48 PM   #9
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
On my 1st gen the speedo reads fast too..those portable radar signs cops put here and there, i'll do exactly 55 by the speedo, the sign says I'm doing 53. Stock wheel and tire sizes. Guess Toyota figured they got away with it for a long time, why worry about it now.
Those portable radar signs are about the most inaccurate gauges out there so I wouldn't go by that. M/T or C/D, I forget which, had an article about this a while back.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:48 PM   #10
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
All these "smart" people gauge the accuracy of the ODO on the speedo's accuracy. With a GPS, why didnt he just reset the "Trip" in the truck, and the "Trip" on the GPS, and see if they are much different. Dam near every vehicle is gonna have a difference in the speedo readout. Hell, my Bikes spreedo was of by 12 mph at 70. BUT, the ODO's are pretty spot on.

yup...that was the tell all on mine. i watched the odo and watched the mileage on the gps and they were identical at stock w/ the speedo off.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #11
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Those portable radar signs are about the most inaccurate gauges out there so I wouldn't go by that. M/T or C/D, I forget which, had an article about this a while back.
Good. I was wondering about that. Thinking cops are thinking if they read high people will slow down...but on the other side if it reads low they get to write a few more "6 over the limit" tickets.

No offense to honest cops intended!
Old 02-23-2009, 07:55 PM   #12
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, they don't calibrate those like they do in the police cars. The ones in the cars are pretty much spot on for the most part (I have a couple cops in the family and some local cop friends). I know my speedo is dead on at 60mph per my buddies police car radar since I upsized my wheels.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #13
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
i read somewhere once that they are allowed a + or - 3% variable from what it should read. not sure how true that is...
Old 02-23-2009, 08:10 PM   #14
1 man wolf pack
Hardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Evan
Hardcorehehaw's Tacoma Gallery
Packerfan,
Do you have a Springfield XD?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #16
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
A couple of them.
bah
Old 02-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #18

Old 02-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #19

You WILL be asimilated
Old 02-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #20