Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Are you getting bad MPG?

View Poll Results: Click on all that apply to your Tacoma.
I get good MPG!! 1,042 27.68%
My MPG sucks! 1,459 38.76%
My Tacoma is Stock. 1,435 38.12%
I have a heavy foot on the gas accelerator! 792 21.04%
I have the fog light mod running through the ECU relay. 145 3.85%
I have added bolt on after market parts. 571 15.17%
My Tacoma is lifted? 731 19.42%
Who gives a crap???? 539 14.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3764. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2009, 07:17 PM   #41
Allens_Piece has a spectacular aura aboutAllens_Piece has a spectacular aura about
Air Force: Employed
Allens_Piece's Tacoma Gallery
TRD exhaust and K&N 63 series CIA (thus the heavy foot problem).
Old 02-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #42
MurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Air Traffic Control
Name: I HATE SPICYTACOS
MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
i am 21....

before december my mpg were 17 to 18 mpg on average
since then i noticed i was getting 13,12,14,15,13 on tanks of gas.
bought a scangauge and did a full tune up 98,000 miles on the gold bz
i drive like a freakin grandma that cant see and doesnt care and best tank is 15.13mpg US.
last year at the same time i got 16.9 on average for last years winter.
to sum it up:
see bad mpg (you)
A. drive the same
B. drive like a grandma
C.dont drive -or-
D. never accelerate with more then 22tps (scangauge)and never speed(never more then 55) and buy only chevon gas and still have the mpg go down....
i apparently pick D!!!!!!!!!!! f-my life, shoot me now!!!!!!!!! please god come down and take my POS engine and rekindle the past glory please.

ok all better. please help i really do drive good and have street tread 265/65/16 on it. the whole time. and run synthetic oil
Old 02-26-2009, 01:00 AM   #43
106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about106Tacoma has a spectacular aura about

106Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
igata make an apt with the dealer, avergage 10-12 mpg all highway, k and n air filter not cold air intake and a magnaflow exhaust is all thats done to my truck. This is not good.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #44
bdub85 is on a distinguished road

Marines:
bdub85's Tacoma Gallery
I get about 21-22 mpg average. Highways + grandma driving style = profit
Old 02-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #45
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CtryBoyInMT's Tacoma Gallery
I've never hit the 19 Mpg mark. High 18's but never 19. All interstate at 60 Mph or country cruising at 40 Mph even.

I've totally given up on the dream of 20 Mpg.

Funny how a 5.3L full size Chevy 4WD gets 21.(something) at 65 mph on the Interstate.
But I see we have a lower carbon offset!
Old 02-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #46
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
^ Dood. Somethings wrong. Ive hit 25 mpg on extended highway driving with a bed packed with camping gear.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #47
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
^I agree. I easily get 23mpg with upwards of 500lbs in the bed at 70mph. Granted, 4X4 gets lower MPG but what, maybe 1mpg?
Old 02-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #48
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant future
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Snyperx Send a message via Yahoo to Snyperx Send a message via Skype™ to Snyperx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztx1000 View Post
before december my mpg were 17 to 18 mpg on average
since then i noticed i was getting 13,12,14,15,13 on tanks of gas.
bought a scangauge and did a full tune up 98,000 miles on the gold bz
i drive like a freakin grandma that cant see and doesnt care and best tank is 15.13mpg US.
last year at the same time i got 16.9 on average for last years winter.
to sum it up:
see bad mpg (you)
A. drive the same
B. drive like a grandma
C.dont drive -or-
D. never accelerate with more then 22tps (scangauge)and never speed(never more then 55) and buy only chevon gas and still have the mpg go down....
i apparently pick D!!!!!!!!!!! f-my life, shoot me now!!!!!!!!! please god come down and take my POS engine and rekindle the past glory please.

ok all better. please help i really do drive good and have street tread 265/65/16 on it. the whole time. and run synthetic oil

I hear ya man!! No, I'm not God Pretty much since the colder weather started my mileage went to crap. I have been getting something like 13 to 15 mpg. I am hoping it is the Winter forulated gas. I use to get 17 mpg like clock work. That was with the lift and tires. Also I am easy on the gas. I put a can of seafoam in during my last fill up. Will see if that helps a bit. I also run synthetic like you.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #49
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The EPA on your 2WD auto's are 20 on the top end. 4WD manual is 18. between the 4 Tacoma owners I know, none of us are getting above the EPA's in all 3 different configs: 4WD Man (2), 4WD auto, or 2WD man. Maybe the 2WD autos are better than EPA, but I don't know anyone (that I'd trust/believe) that has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
^I agree. I easily get 23mpg with upwards of 500lbs in the bed at 70mph. Granted, 4X4 gets lower MPG but what, maybe 1mpg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonKs View Post
^ Dood. Somethings wrong. Ive hit 25 mpg on extended highway driving with a bed packed with camping gear.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #50
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-26-2009, 09:41 PM   #51
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtryBoyInMT View Post
The EPA on your 2WD auto's are 20 on the top end. 4WD manual is 18. between the 4 Tacoma owners I know, none of us are getting above the EPA's in all 3 different configs: 4WD Man (2), 4WD auto, or 2WD man. Maybe the 2WD autos are better than EPA, but I don't know anyone (that I'd trust/believe) that has one.
EPA is continually underrated. Real world, meaning driving style and other conditions, is always more accurate. There are many many folks on the various forums getting such MPG. Try doing a search, you'll learn something.

BTW, my window sticker says 17/21. I routinely obtain 17-18MPG city and the WORST I've done on highway trips has been 21.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #52
Lifetime Member

I just used the EPA rating numbers to get a 4WD/2WD comparison to determine the decrease due to 4WD. I also looked at the 2008 numbers. The EPA uses a new testing procedure for 2008+, that in lies the difference.
I still believe the biggest variance is caused by fuel quality and outside air temperature.
Maybe I'm just jealous some achieve higher than sticker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
EPA is continually underrated. Real world, meaning driving style and other conditions, is always more accurate. There are many many folks on the various forums getting such MPG. Try doing a search, you'll learn something.

BTW, my window sticker says 17/21. I routinely obtain 17-18MPG city and the WORST I've done on highway trips has been 21.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #53
Damn you, vile woman!
Stewie is on a distinguished road

Stewie's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on what you consider bad?

15.5-16. I do a variety of around town and some freeway but mostly around town. It's about what I expected.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #55
hell yes i love my truck
MsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Samantha
MsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
i was getting 18-19 mpg before the tires...now i'm getting 15
Old 03-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #56
Dennis = sinneD
Mr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to allMr.Fahrenheit is a name known to all
Mr.Fahrenheit's Tacoma Gallery
do the 2nd gen come with an option to recalibrate the pcm for different tire sizes??
Old 03-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #57
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
I get 18mpg driving 65 mph on LA freeways

'06 V6 4x4 DC
Auto trans
I over inflate the stock BGF rugged trails to 40psi. (at 32 psi I get 16 mpg)

I am about to switch to BFG M/T and I fear my mpg dropping...
Old 03-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #58
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
Move to CA and you dont have to deal with winter gas.. you'll have to deal with $1200 for a one bedroom apt though
Old 03-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #59
TheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud of

Navy: Equipment Operator 1st class
Name: Aaron
TheSchwartz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
I know exactly what you mean. I did that mod too. And when I did it, it seemed as if my MPG started suffering. I don't drive fast or take off fast. I really don't know too much about electrical though. Anyone got any ideas? For some reason I think that mod has something to do with it for some 05+ tacoma owners.

If your running your fog's all the time it causes more demand on your battery = more run time for alternator = more power taken from engine. hope this gives you some ideah.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #60
TheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud ofTheSchwartz has much to be proud of

Navy: Equipment Operator 1st class
Name: Aaron
TheSchwartz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allens_Piece View Post
TRD exhaust and K&N 63 series CIA (thus the heavy foot problem).

Ive got the K&N 63 with a magnaflow 18" and i have the same problem, Small world