Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Are you getting bad MPG?

View Poll Results: Click on all that apply to your Tacoma.
I get good MPG!! 1,041 27.70%
My MPG sucks! 1,455 38.72%
My Tacoma is Stock. 1,433 38.13%
I have a heavy foot on the gas accelerator! 792 21.08%
I have the fog light mod running through the ECU relay. 145 3.86%
I have added bolt on after market parts. 571 15.19%
My Tacoma is lifted? 730 19.43%
Who gives a crap???? 537 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3758. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #981
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Check my mpg's today 13.7 almost 14!........ I don't drive like a grandpa, but I'm not hard on it either. Lots of stop and go to work for 11 miles a day and some drives to my parents house about 30 miles round trip. ( steep hilly roads ) wish it would get better but I don't care it's a truck and 10 ply 285,70,17's are heavy compared to stock.
Man points +1, Mpg 0

Thanks,

Brett

Mileage dose suck though.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #982
FATPUBUS has a spectacular aura aboutFATPUBUS has a spectacular aura about
FATPUBUS's Tacoma Gallery
Well i only did 321 miles on a full tank today, is that bad? Ran 65, or 75 where the limits were allowable in Texas. The 05 4runner, same engine gets bout 420 per tank, so i guess the tacoma mpg sucks lol! Oh well, not concerned with it...usually dont drive that much in 3 weeks let alone a day!
Old 05-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #983
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
Wait wait wait... What does the Fog Light mod have to do w/ it??? My mileage isn't great, and I drive like an old lady, but I did the fog light mod. I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to cars, but I really don't know much about the electrical system, either....
absolutely nothing. It'll put a little more strain on the electrical system, so the alternator will be a tiny bit harder to turn. but this wont affect your mpg at all.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:09 AM   #984
IAFF Local 34 Professional FireFighters
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATPUBUS View Post
Well i only did 321 miles on a full tank today, is that bad? Ran 65, or 75 where the limits were allowable in Texas. The 05 4runner, same engine gets bout 420 per tank, so i guess the tacoma mpg sucks lol! Oh well, not concerned with it...usually dont drive that much in 3 weeks let alone a day!
I wonder why there is such a huge discrepancy between mileage between all our trucks (larger tires, lifts, and towing aside)? I have mud tires and different wheels on mine (albeit stock size), and the added weight of some aftermarket equipment but other than that mine is pretty much still a stock truck. If I only got 321 miles on a tank I would be PISSED. I fill mine up every payday (every 2 weeks) and I get well over 400 miles on a tank. When I say I fill it up I mean I fill it UP. All the way to the neck. I know it isn't recommend but at least I know that my calculations are correct on the MPG. I drive 240 miles in a 2 week period to work (24 miles each way 5 shifts) all country back roads. I never get a chance to get it above 50 going to work. Like I said before, I drive like a grandpaw because of where I have to drive. The rest of my driving that I do are short drives around town to take and pick my daughter up from school, to go to the store, or out to eat. Only about 10% of my driving is freeway and I'm sure that makes a difference. But I still average well into the lower 20's on our vacations and I keep it between 70-75 so I don't know.

I'll give you and example:

In March we went to Colorado on vacation. We left on a Fri. evening and drove from Benton Ar. to El Reno Ok. Distance of almost 390 miles. I had the bed full of luggage and 2 other people in the truck. I filled up as soon as I left Benton and made it to El Reno with just below 1/4 tank of fuel left. I drove 70 / 75 the entire way other than through Ok. City.

Only engine mod I've done is a K&N air filter and I know that doesn't make "that" much difference. I have used a lot of different fuels in the past and all have pretty much the same mileage other than the shit I bought in S.D. But I have noticed a pretty noticeable difference when I switched to Shell V-Power FWIW.

If the 12-13 models are getting that type of mileage I'll just keep my 11 for a long time.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:23 AM   #985
grant2335 is on a distinguished road
Name: Grant
grant2335's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=JAG;419548]I have a couple ideas (which could be totally wrong) why I think some of us tacoma guys are not getting very good miles per gallon whether whatever season. I do realize that the winter gas is a different mixture ratio and it does affect your MPG, but doesn't it still seem some of us guys or gals sometimes get lame mileage .

We can start a poll and see some statistical data for it. I am not sure how this will turn out, but it will be interesting.

Please help out and take the poll.

I have a 4 banger with a 2.5 inch lift kit and i live in Canada drive 100 kms a day to work and back and coast me 80$ a week that is when gas is at 1.23$ a Le-tr i love it have a light foot and make shore to put new air filter in
Old 05-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #986
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATPUBUS View Post
Saying how far a tank took you isn't very helpful, the only way to really compare at least somewhat equally is how many miles and how much you filled the tank with. Even then it's only going to make sense if you use the same exact pump at the same exact station since different pumps will shut off at different points. Really the only GOOD way to do it would be like on myth busters where you start with an exact known quantity and figure things from there.

I generally get between 320 and 340 to a tank, roughly 17 to 18 mpgs with a commute every day of about 20 miles of 80 mph. I could see somebody getting 20 mpg's if they keep things under 50 all day every day but I'll never be able to test that as that's just unrealistic for me.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #987
U.S.M.C.
bowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: HQ BN Truck CO 2nd Marine Division, RS Salt lake city, 6th Marine Regiment, 7th Marine Regiment
bowzerdoo77's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to bowzerdoo77 Send a message via Skype™ to bowzerdoo77
I have a 6 inch lift and 35's and I got 16.1 on my last tank.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #988
B11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
B11's Tacoma Gallery
How you drive these things has as much to do with your MPG as just about anything. Especially if you have a manual trans. and you do much stop and go driving. Tire size is another biggie, especially if your vehicle has wide or wider than stock tires. Wide tires can dramatically affect your fuel consumption. Another reason I like tall and narrow tires like the 255/80/17's or 255/85/16's
Old 05-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #989
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Disclaimer: Knowing that I could easily fake this and modify it to match whatever mileage I want.... you guys will just have to trust me on this.

I will take pictures of my miles driven and the fuel gauge to give you an idea of "my" mileage and see if yours is similar to mine. I will fill up at the exact same pump that I filled up at a couple of days ago and show that I top it completely off and then take a picture of the receipt and the miles on the trip odometer. I'm not doing this to brag and in no way is this scientific but at the very least it will be a "baseline" of what my truck is doing.

I use Shell-V Power 93 octane exclusively, have a K&N air filter (no cold air induction just the filter), and use Mobil 1 Synthetic oil.

Where my truck sits right now 5/20/13 9:45 am

Old 05-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #990
War Eagle!!
aubi1414 is a splendid one to beholdaubi1414 is a splendid one to beholdaubi1414 is a splendid one to beholdaubi1414 is a splendid one to beholdaubi1414 is a splendid one to beholdaubi1414 is a splendid one to beholdaubi1414 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
aubi1414's Tacoma Gallery
I get 300-330 per tank but Im also not a Prerunner which is another huge difference for some of us. My needle when it looks like that I have about 55 miles on a tank. I might run 93 and see how much it changes my MPG next fill up and if its worth the extra money.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #991

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubi1414 View Post
I get 300-330 per tank but Im also not a Prerunner which is another huge difference for some of us. My needle when it looks like that I have about 55 miles on a tank. I might run 93 and see how much it changes my MPG next fill up and if its worth the extra money.

Yeah... that is something else i didn't mention. The extra weight on the 4X4 would presumably drop the MPG also.
Like I said I fill mine up to the neck where you can not put any more fuel in it. I know that you shouldn't do it but I have never had any ill effects other than it pisses the people off behind me if the station is full lol. But this is the only way that I know of accurately determining exactly how many miles you are getting per gallon (assuming the pump is calibrated correctly but that is a uncontrollable aspect).
Old 05-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #992
I like the Anaheim Ducks
Okeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud of

Name: Kyle
Okeetee's Tacoma Gallery
My average MPG dropped from approximately 20 to 18 after I put on 265/75/16 Duratracs. Is that significant? Because it sure feels like it.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #993

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okeetee View Post
My average MPG dropped from approximately 20 to 18 after I put on 265/75/16 Duratracs. Is that significant? Because it sure feels like it.

I don't know... I lost about 1 1/2 MPG when I put my mud tires on also. I have mine aired up to 40psi and as I have put some miles on them the mileage has "slowly" crept back up.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #994
War Eagle!!
aubi1414 is a splendid one to beholdaubi1414 is a splendid one to beholdaubi1414 is a splendid one to beholdaubi1414 is a splendid one to beholdaubi1414 is a splendid one to beholdaubi1414 is a splendid one to beholdaubi1414 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Justin
aubi1414's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Damn you drive a lot!! Feeling up weekly Gas here is at 3.32 also
Old 05-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #995
I like the Anaheim Ducks
Okeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud ofOkeetee has much to be proud of

Name: Kyle
Okeetee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubi1414 View Post
Damn you drive a lot!! Feeling up weekly Gas here is at 3.32 also
I forgot what it's like to pay $3.32 for gas.

Ever since I moved back to SoCal in January my weekly miles have gone through the roof. When I lived in Denver, I filled up bi-weekly for around $3 per gallon.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:53 AM   #996
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Melt
97T's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 97T
Quote:
I forgot what it's like to pay $3.32 for gas.

Ever since I moved back to SoCal in January my weekly miles have gone through the roof. When I lived in Denver, I filled up bi-weekly for around $3 per gallon.

why the hell would you move back to that dump (im a nor cal native who left for denver last year)

Anyhow, decided to check out my spark plugs ... no good .... so i figure ill be able to break 20 again once i get new ones (used to pull 22 - 23 all hwy when i moved here cause the gas doesnt have all the bullshit additives the california stuff has)

And i bet you guys are probably over $4 / gal by now too cause its jumped into the upper 3's here .
Old 05-30-2013, 05:48 AM   #997

Firefighter:
Oh shit.... I forgot completely about this thread. I was going to post my next fill up but between fill ups I got this and got busy messing around with it.

The 26.4MPG that it is showing is driving directly from the Shell Gas Station (Filled up with 93 octane V Power) back to the house on the road that I take to go to work (27 miles). Never got above 45 MPH so that looks pretty accurate for that period.

I'm in calibration mode with it right now so I need to run the tank back down pretty low and fill up at the same pump so it will be calibrated. But from the looks of it it is running pretty accurate at the moment sitting at 22.5-23.

I'll post my next fill up and then go from there. For what its worth... Regular unleaded down here is sitting at about $3.20
Old 05-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #998
U.S.M.C.
bowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: HQ BN Truck CO 2nd Marine Division, RS Salt lake city, 6th Marine Regiment, 7th Marine Regiment
bowzerdoo77's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to bowzerdoo77 Send a message via Skype™ to bowzerdoo77
I have been towing my Prius with my Tacoma from North Carolina and I am in north Platte Nebraska and I have been getting 13.25 mpg average I am shocked
Old 05-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #999
City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet
ChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ChiveOn's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know yet. I just plugged in my Ultra Gauge and all I have learned is that I suck at getting good economy.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #1000
169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

169.254.255.201's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
why duz my mpg suk?????

I gots big tars, low geers, and I drive real fast down them public roads. the fuzz keep on pullin me ovr fer no reasin. im gettn bout 7 mpg maybe I need new headlites
Not even sure what to say to that.. loll

New headlights would yield signifacnt results. May 15 to 16 MPGs?? And if your really want some more mpgs, try those octane increasers at walmart.