Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Are you getting bad MPG?

View Poll Results: Click on all that apply to your Tacoma.
I get good MPG!! 1,042 27.69%
My MPG sucks! 1,458 38.75%
My Tacoma is Stock. 1,435 38.13%
I have a heavy foot on the gas accelerator! 792 21.05%
I have the fog light mod running through the ECU relay. 145 3.85%
I have added bolt on after market parts. 571 15.17%
My Tacoma is lifted? 731 19.43%
Who gives a crap???? 539 14.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3763. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Post Are you getting bad MPG?

I have a couple ideas (which could be totally wrong) why I think some of us tacoma guys are not getting very good miles per gallon whether whatever season. I do realize that the winter gas is a different mixture ratio and it does affect your MPG, but doesn't it still seem some of us guys or gals sometimes get lame mileage .

We can start a poll and see some statistical data for it. I am not sure how this will turn out, but it will be interesting.

Please help out and take the poll.

Edit: Please add your bolt on aftermarket parts if you choose that option
Old 02-23-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
ride a bike till winter gas is out
Old 02-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Wait until the spring - gas mixtures will change and gas mileages will change also.

Surely, I'm getting worse mpg this winter than in the summer. These trucks don't like the cold weather (atleast mine doesn't). I've noticed changes in MPG (according to my scangauge) that when the temps are warmer (up in 50's), the gas mileage gets better than when its in the 20's. And I'm not necessarily changing my habits or driving differently.

Gas mixtures are different in the winter because gas (in general) isn't as volatile in cold weather and doesn't ignite as easy/fast. They put additives in the gas to help it ignite....
In warmer weather, those additives are not needed because gas is volatile and ignites easier without those additives.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
Okkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to behold

Okkine's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not quite getting the same mileage as what it's rated (rated at 10.5 L/100 KM), ad I'm getting 11.5-12. That said, I live in a fairly hilly city with lots of stop 'n go traffic, and we're still using the winter gas blend here, so I expect it to pick up to about it's rated mileage in the spring.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okkine View Post
I'm not quite getting the same mileage as what it's rated (rated at 10.5 L/100 KM), ad I'm getting 11.5-12. That said, I live in a fairly hilly city with lots of stop 'n go traffic, and we're still using the winter gas blend here, so I expect it to pick up to about it's rated mileage in the spring.
Are your last figures converted to Miles per gallons or Kilometers per/L?
Old 02-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
buyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nicebuyobuyo is just really nice

buyobuyo's Tacoma Gallery
My mileage is so-so. Life time average since I started tracking it (feb 08) is 19.6 MPG with a general trend up. My best tank ever was 23.6 and my worst was 14.9. All city driving usually gets me 17-20 and hwy/city usually gets me 20-22.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:07 PM   #9
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
im getting shitty gas mileage lately...but then again theres winter blends, and ive been doing almost 100% city driving - 2 miles to and from work and thats it.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:41 PM   #10
redmarble is on a distinguished road
redmarble's Tacoma Gallery
Gas mileage is better than my bimmer, which also is a V6.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:23 PM   #11
jvand678 is on a distinguished road
jvand678's Tacoma Gallery
I had finally broken the 20 mpg mark after bolting on a new exhaust, putting in a CAI and adding the unichip. Then I got the customization bug and added the lift and new rims and tires (heavy nittos) and it sucked it right back down to the pre break-in 16.5 mpg. I put about 600 hwy miles on mine a week and almost all of it at 70 mph. Like the rest of you, I'm hoping that the warm weather and summer fuel mix will bring the numbers back up again.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:31 PM   #12
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
My truck has not let me down since day 1...................mpg depends so much on driving conditions,climate,octane,tire condition,clean filters,wind,weight,4x4/4x2,a heavy foot,etc.............
Old 02-23-2009, 11:31 PM   #13
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a heavy foot. Sometimes I get good gas mileage, other times not so good.

I've gotten between 12 and 21 MPG's.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:28 AM   #14
Okkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to beholdOkkine is a splendid one to behold

Okkine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Are your last figures converted to Miles per gallons or Kilometers per/L?

Liters per 100 Km. The Canadain site rates it at 22.4 miles / US Gallon (once converted), I've been getting about 20.5 miles per gallon (I usually do the conversion, but I was slack'n off at work ). I don't drive too aggressively, but I don't granny it either.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:36 AM   #15

Okkine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatHLC128 View Post
im getting shitty gas mileage lately...but then again theres winter blends, and ive been doing almost 100% city driving - 2 miles to and from work and thats it.
Don't forget that short trips like that tend to get worse mileage, as the engine doesn't have a chance to really warm up.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:03 AM   #18
freesample will become famous soon enoughfreesample will become famous soon enough

freesample's Tacoma Gallery
i get crap mpg..cause its a truck...so i'm trying to trade it for a car pretty soon
Old 02-24-2009, 05:09 AM   #19
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Winter blend gas and warmups have me at about 16.5-17 combo city and hwy.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:58 AM   #20
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Wait wait wait... What does the Fog Light mod have to do w/ it??? My mileage isn't great, and I drive like an old lady, but I did the fog light mod. I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to cars, but I really don't know much about the electrical system, either....