1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 V6 Actual Mileage VS. Ultra-Gauge

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RearViewMirror, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Jun 5, 2013 at 5:42 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror [OP] Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I don't really baby it. Most of my driving just takes me to places that I can't do much more than 45 MPH.

On this tank:

Drove to work 4 shifts (24.5 Miles each way - Can't get over 45 MPH)

Drove to the Water Park 2 times (29 Miles each way - Can't get over 55 MPH) *Note* Wife took it one of these trips.

Drove random trips around town and never got on the freeway the rest of the time.

I'm not driving for mileage but it just works out that way. I would say that less than 10% of my driving lets me get over 60 MPH unless we take it on a trip.

2. Jun 5, 2013 at 6:42 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Fill it to the first click. Let it "settle" for a few seconds, give it one more click on low-flow.

Filling to the top will flood the evap, throw a CEL, and cause rough running.

Any variance in filling is going to even out over multiple tanks. You're dealing with a 21 gallon tank, and topping off is not adding more than a half gallon or so.

3. Jun 6, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    ostroud18

ostroud18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Odis
    Grayslake, IL
    Vehicle:
    2017 4x4 4 door silver TRD Sport
    None
    Hell, Gas is $4.29 87 oct in Chicago today. Price just went up by 15c.

4. Jun 6, 2013 at 7:20 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    The UG is really such a POS. I love reading threads when ppl run out of gas relying on that piece of Chinese junk.

Yes I have one hooked up but I rarely ever use it. And would only depend on it for sensor readouts ect. I haven't opened the ashtray where mine is stashed prob since the week after I installed it... Garbage in, garbage out

5. Jun 6, 2013 at 7:26 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Ummm hmmm...:rolleyes:

6. Jun 6, 2013 at 7:36 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    Wow. Tell us how you really feel...

7. Jun 6, 2013 at 7:43 AM
    RearViewMirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    His was a pretty silly comment really. Calling it a POS because someone relied on it for mileage makes no sense honestly. If someone relied on the gauge instead of their actual fuel gauge then that is the fault of the driver and not the device itself.
    I just wanted to see how close the actual mileage was and even though I overfilled the tank it was still close to within the +/-1 MPG which I think is pretty good. I'm satisfied with it and would recommend the purchase mostly because of all the other things it does. Obviously 737 would not. His choice.

But a POS?... nah. It's a good product that does a lot of things for a decent price. I personally love it.

8. Jun 6, 2013 at 6:50 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Ditto.
    Only used for a week or two, there was never the opportunity to properly calibrate it.

Mine was probably 4mpg optimistic out of the box. Ya... you'll run out of gas if you rely on THAT to indicate the level in the tank.
    At this point, I've got it pretty well dialed in to where it's reporting about 1/2mpg below actual, so if I relied on it to tell me when my tank is empty, I'd still have about a half gallon left.

But I don't run it that low. I don't think I've ever gone more than 35 miles after the light has come on.

9. Jun 7, 2013 at 2:14 PM
    Imageoguy

Imageoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gatineau, Qc, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB SR5
    Full OME suspension (885 front springs, Dakar leaf pack + OME shocks) + D29XL extra leaf + 3 deg. shim + RideRite airbags
    I calibrated the distance for my UG with a GPS for about 140 miles. I also calibrated the MPG using about 2 tanks. I've been within 1/4 gallon for the past 6 fill-ups from what the UG displays so it looks like it's pretty accurate.

For the last 2000 miles, I have mostly ridden with my ATV and stuff in the box, probably a couple 100 lbs above max load and I'm averaging 14 MPG. Working on logging roads, I've been having slightly better mileage (1-2 mpg) than my buddies F-150 (not the ecoboost) while following each-other. As most people, I would like to see slightly better mileage but I can live with what I'm getting.

10. Jun 10, 2013 at 6:10 AM
    edm3rd

edm3rd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duke
    Memphis TN
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner AC 6sp
    hard tonneau,scangauge
    UltraGauge or ScanGauge, there is more to calibrating it than meets the eye. First (even before first fillup, run 50 miles on highway with mile markers (or use GPS) to determine odometer error and adjust your gauge. Please note this should probably be done ever 10,000 miles to account for tire wear. With new Mich LTX MS2, dash odometer reads 2.3% high. ScanGauge was about 1% high, and now is right on the money. Second, do the first tank/second tank (per instructions). There is a separate adjustment where you compare what the gauge thinks you used to what the pump shows you used, and you can adjust this every fillup if you want.

I have 40,000 on my truck, fill it all the way, BUT I always run at least 20 miles after filling, and have had ZERO problems with the canister. BTW, my truck will hold an additional 2.5 gallons from when it first clicks off until it is filled to the very top.

Products Discussed in

To Top