1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Air intake??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by perchie15, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Jun 6, 2013 at 5:44 PM
    metrick1215

metrick1215 Pirate Medic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Habersham GA..
    Vehicle:
    Black 2008 4x4 4door
    Had a cold air intake on my honda.. made like 600 HP more man..it was Soooooooo sweet... No seriously.. By design our trucks (i will say the 4.0 because that is what i have..) come with a cold air intake stock... You are pulling cold air from the fender... You will not get any gain but you will notice less in your pocket... One because they CAI are expensive as hell.. and you will rev it up more because of the sound.. if the sound is worth the price for you..go for it.. if not spend it on something that has been proven to give power.. like Header back exhaust or supercharger... (btw the only reason i even had one in my honda was because it cost me $20)

2. Jun 6, 2013 at 5:44 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Great chart!

I ran a K&N in severely dust conditions for about 70k, 40k of which were with a snorkel. You want to talk about how to destroy an engine follow what I did. My entire intake past the filter was ALWAYS full of shit the K&N let through. I think you'd be better off throwing one of your dirty socks over the intake than running a POS K&N. Total crap IMO. Never again will I run a K&N on a offroad vehicle.......

I now only use OE style Wix and buy them in bulk 10pk for super cheap.

I only wish I did some Blackstone tests because I'm pretty sure everyone would shit their pants if you saw how much silica and other crap a K&N will let your engine suck down. My cylinder walls look like Freddy Kruger was trapped in them.

3. Jun 7, 2013 at 2:11 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
  4. Jun 7, 2013 at 3:45 AM
    Vigo

Vigo WFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    On a rock in the pacific
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 door
    stuff...
    So they use a car that sucks air in, cold or not, heats it up with a turbo, and probably cools it off again with an intercooler... How does this make sense for testing a cold air filter? And it already pulls cold air from the stick filter...
    With tuning you might get better response and less lag, but not huge gains.
    Pointless.

5. Jun 7, 2013 at 6:16 AM
    Jetlander

Jetlander Just trying to measure up...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan (aka MOAB)
    Depends on the day.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 SR5
    TKO Wheel w/ 35" BFG KM2, Volant CAI, Safari Snorkel, 3" lift, All-Pro Full Skid Underarmor, Chopped/Re-Routed FlowMaster Exhaust, CBI Moab 2.0 Front Bumper, DerpWerx High Clearance Rear Bumper, Rear Tire Swing Out, BAMF Sliders w/Kickouts, King Resi w/700# Coilovers on front, Total Chaos UCA's, King Long Travel with Resi's, Shock Hoops and King 2.5 Bump Stops, OME Dakar Leaf Springs mounted on All-Pro Shackle Flip w/ U-Bolt Flip, extended SS Brake Lines, DerpWerx Bedrack, 10# C02 Tank, Black Badges, Dual Optima Red Top's, Blue Sea 12 Fuse Block on custom Block mount, SuperWinch 9.5iSR Talon w/synthetic line, Prolink Thimble, 20" Rigid Dual Row LED Light Bar, Rigid Dually Floods, OTRATTW Switches, Cab Mount Chop, Cobra CB w/ 4' Firestik, Center Counsel Glock 23 mount (with plenty o' ammo!), Weathertechs, and plenty more mods to come!
    Go with the Volant CAI with scoop if you want a "true" cold air intake. I have one on my Tacoma and couldn't be happier. Definitely increases performance and it gives it a slightly better sound, although not as loud as some of the open-type filters.

6. Jun 7, 2013 at 6:41 AM
    taco2010trd

taco2010trd Cyber Bully

Member:
    Tampa, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver TRD OR DCSB
    Total waste of money

7. Jun 7, 2013 at 6:42 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

My buddy had one of them and it "scooped" water into his engine :eek:

8. Jun 7, 2013 at 6:48 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD

:facepalm:

9. Jun 7, 2013 at 6:52 AM
    SoCaltaco65

Member:
    Vehicle:

Very nice, the NAPA golds are just a tick off of the Delco's efficiency, but have a better filtration.

10. Jun 7, 2013 at 6:59 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Let's all talk about our feelings.

11. Jun 7, 2013 at 7:03 AM
    SoCaltaco65

Member:
    Vehicle:
    grab the Guitar, Ill get a fire going so we can all sing along....

Products Discussed in

To Top