1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Manofs, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Sep 6, 2007 at 1:19 PM
    Manofs

Manofs [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    hey, so i went mudding this past weekend, and i ended up going to the coast. well after getting home really late at night, i washed it the next morning. now i am starting to notice rust on the frame. i realize that the salt water is capable of rusting my frame.....i am a little worried what should i do, do i have anything to worry about....any ideas???

2. Sep 6, 2007 at 2:18 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    Shortly after I got my 04 tacoma, I went to the beach. It was low tide and there were some standing tide pool in the middle of the beach. I thought it would be fun to go tearing through them at 20 mph. Shortly after doing that I realized what I had done and started to get a little concerned. So on my way home I went to one of those do it yourself car washes with the pressure washer, and soaped, rinsed, degreased, and rinsed the frame twice, total spent in quarters about $12.00. But when I traded it in three years later there was no noticable rust on the frame and only minimal surface rust on the exhaust and driveshaft.

Just my $0.02

3. Sep 6, 2007 at 2:23 PM
    Manofs

Manofs [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    hey thanks, that is exactly what i did, just used the power washer like crazy, so i guess it just surface rust....thanks.

4. Sep 6, 2007 at 9:12 PM
    106Tacoma

106Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 06 Black Sand Pearl 4x4 Every option.
    When i got my truck i took a whole gallon of grease and with my hands coated evrything, frame floors shocks leafs! EVERYTHING! I live in buffalo ny, our roads are salt from january till april! I want my truck to last!

5. Mar 2, 2008 at 4:12 AM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Now that makes sense.

6. Mar 2, 2008 at 4:13 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    My god I would hate to be the guy who has to service your truck!...If you enjoy doing what you did to your truck I saw an ad on craigs list for a "fluffer"!

7. Mar 2, 2008 at 4:30 PM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    It is better than that asphalt that they spray.

8. Mar 2, 2008 at 6:31 PM
    ellsworth

ellsworth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Buffalo
    Vehicle:
    08' off rd 6 speed
    6 inch Fabtech, st stabilizers, 18x9 DC -1s 305/65/18 bfg at's
    get some non detergent 30 weight and spray the frame rails and body panels and let er drip...Watch the plastic and the wiring harnesses....Trust me, do this every fall b4 salt season...you need to get into the crevices with oil not bridge across them with undercoating...I to live in salt country and it saves lives but eats cars...I have a 91 s-10 nearly rust free...oil that`frame`and them lines....

9. Mar 2, 2008 at 6:35 PM
    ellsworth

ellsworth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Buffalo
    Vehicle:
    08' off rd 6 speed
    6 inch Fabtech, st stabilizers, 18x9 DC -1s 305/65/18 bfg at's
    keep doing that and as far your mechanic, if he also lives in buffalo, you will gain his respect and admoration...every season, coat the f$%^ out if them rails and lines and shock nuts and etc....It works and your mechanic will thank you if you ever need work underneath because he wont spend the day blow torching one rust blob to the next!!!!!!!!!!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top