Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My Slider Build....

Old 06-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
My Slider Build....

I descided to finally start building my sliders.. Started making up the mounting plates today.
The materials im using are, 3/16" plate for the mounting plates and gussets, and then 1-3/4" .120 wall hrew tubing for the rest of it.
These will be bolt on with 3 legs/mounting mounts. 2 of them (front and rear) will be L shaped and be bolted on the bottom. I descided to only do 2 plates L shaped to limit drilling.

I will get some pics up later..
Old 06-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK View Post
I you have the press brake, bend your plates with an inboard turned up leg to grab the inside of the framerail. This will be a no drill install and done right probably stronger since loads will be spread out more than a single bolt.

PK
I dont have a press brake. I just cut half way threw were I want the bend and then bend it to a 90, then weld up my cut and grind smooth. I get nice sharp 90's this way.. Im looking for super strong sliders as Im not going to abuse them and there not going to see much offroad time. just alittle extra reasurance.
the thing that sucks is that im going to have to go get my tubing bent up either at my buddy's machine shop or an exhaust shop.. but oh well
Old 06-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #4

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I picked up half of the Tubing ysterday and I will see if I can get the rest of it later this week or next.. Im having a buddy see about doing the bends I need. Then I can have at it and start building them...
Cant freakin wait!! Oh! does anyone know what kind of paint is best to use on sliders? Im looking for a matte black finish..
Old 06-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #5

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Ive been working on them the past few days. I found a local guy who has a bender and dies, and does it kinda on the side.. he charges about $15 Per bend.. Which isnt that bad. Good thing I dont have alot of bends.
Well I finally got one slider made up and finished welding it today.. My welds arent pro looking but they do the job and they dont look that bad.

Here's some eye candy..

Old 06-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good, clean welds. How do you like your Longivity welder, heard there pretty good.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of13TRDsport has much to be proud of
Air Force: Security Forces 02-06
13TRDsport's Tacoma Gallery
welds look awesome! Nice build man!
Old 06-19-2013, 04:07 AM   #8
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #9

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCity4x View Post
Looks good, clean welds. How do you like your Longivity welder, heard there pretty good.
Thanks! I love the Longevity welder. It works great and has never missed a beat.. for the money there great welder. plus they get a 5 year warrenty where as other brands are 2 year..
Old 06-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #11

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyj8 View Post
I like the design you came up with, its different.
lol.. its actually Domello's design.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #13

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I Plan on making my sliders not stick out far and be a nice clean tucked up slider.. But it will still stick out just past the doors to give good protection.

I plan on making these for anyone that wants some, I can custom make them to your likes and needs also. Im starting off locally until I can figure out the shipping.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #14

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Got some more pics.. I got it put in place where I want it. (at 30* angle and about a 1/2" out past the doors.) This makes it so its not so much in the way when getting in and out of the truck. Its only about 3"s out from the rocker panel...

Got the legs all welded up, I still have to do the Gussets..

Old 06-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #15

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Well I got the other one all finished up the other day, and they look awsome!! In the future when I build these for others I will do all 3 mounting plates L-shaped for added strength and just to keep things the same..
Pics to come after I get them painted up...
Old 06-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #16

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
I just checked to see if my sliders would fit on my buddy's 07.. And he has a frave rivet in the way of the rear plate/foot.
Can anyone with a 05-11 tacoma see if the have a rivet thing right above the rear oval hole in the frame? thanks
Old 06-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'd check if I were with my truck but sadly I'm 9hrs away bump and sliders look nice
Old 06-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #18

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! But I ound out that they all have it.. They got rid of them on the 2012's. I will just notch out for the rivet ..
Old 06-26-2013, 01:52 AM   #19
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
The rivet is a 2wd vs 4wd concern.

I have BAMF sliders I got here from another guy. When I went to mount them, my 2wd had the rivet in the mount location. If you look just aft of the rivet, there is another set of frame holes that ate for the 4wd crossmember.

So basically, there are several variations to build these sliders. First is SC DC, next is wheelbase, third my be LB or SB, and forth, 2wd or 4wd.

If you are selling them, consider many owners want totally reversible mods with no damage or holes. Add the kick up flange to the mounts and make them strong with no added frame holes. You might see this as a marketing feature.

PK
Old 06-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #20

ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the tip.. I geuss im going to have to look at a 2wd Taco and see if the frame rivets are different.