1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dreaded PO441 Error Code - Fix

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PRRDave, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Jun 7, 2013 at 6:36 AM
    PRRDave

PRRDave [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4X4
    I've had my Tacoma now for 6 years without a problem. Last Saturday while on a short trip, the CEL light came on. My process to cure this is the basis for this post. Hopefully it will assist you in fixing your CEL and saving a few bucks. Photos are embedded as links and attached at bottom.

CheckEngineLightOn.JPG

I hooked up my Innova unit and pulled the code. A PO441 Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Purge Flow.

CodePO441.JPG

I did some research and found that three components could be the culprit. Bad Gas Cap, Control Valve, or Canister. This was provided there were no rotted or defective hoses. I checked all of my hoses and they were all good, and supple. I ordered a new Gas Cap from Toyota. It was $30. It was a quick install.

GasCapPartNo.JPG

NewGasCap1.JPG

NewGasCap2.JPG

I used the Innova to reset the code and get rid of the CEL. I drove the truck for about 2 days before the CEL reappeared.

I was not going to spend the cash for a Charcoal Canister unless I was sure it was the problem. So I stopped by my local dealer, Price Toyota, and they ran diagnostics for $99. It was the Control Valve, and it had to be ordered. I ordered it and it was in the next morning. They allowed me to do the install and part order to save me some money. I avoided the mark up on the price of the part and the labor cost.

ValvePartNo.JPG

The Valve is very easy to get to, its right on the side of the intake assembly.

ValveLocation1.JPG

ValveLocation2.JPG

You'll need a 10mm socket. Remove the screws to the intake cover and prop it up. Now you can clearly see the valve.

ValveLocation3.JPG

You do not need any tools to get the electrical connector off, and the hoses, the one clamp you can do by hand. Remove all connections.

HosesAndConnectorOff.JPG

Use a 10mm socket to remove the lone bolt on the bottom and remove the old valve. It does not look bad and there is no way to open it to try a cleaning.

OldValve.JPG

Install the new valve using the lone bolt snugging it up a little.

NewValveInstalled.JPG

Hook up your hoses and electrical connection, takes all of 30 seconds.

NewValveConnected.JPG

Secure your intake cover and close the hood, your done here. Hook up the Innova and clear your code.

CodeClearedCELOff.JPG

This worked for me and I avoided the expensive Charcoal Canister which is up under the bed of the truck, and is quite expensive and not available as an aftermarket part.

Hope this helps with your PO4441 CEL Code. This Valve fits multiple vehicles from 2004 to date.

Dave

CheckEngineLightOn.jpg
    CodePO441.jpg
    GasCapPartNo.jpg
    NewGasCap1.jpg
    NewGasCap2.jpg
    ValvePartNo.jpg
    ValveLocation1.jpg
    ValveLocation2.jpg
    ValveLocation3.jpg
    HosesAndConnectorOff.jpg
    OldValve.jpg
    NewValveInstalled.jpg
    NewValveConnected.jpg
    CodeClearedCELOff.jpg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    dsheehan49 likes this.
  2. Jun 7, 2013 at 6:46 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    Canister runs around $360. Rock auto has them and so does AutoZone. Well special order, but hey are available. I've got a p0175/172 light, so in running way rich and my ultra gauge tells me as well. I don't think this control valve is MY problem, but it very well could be. I'm leaning more towards and leaking injector in my case.

Anyways, good info and if I ever run across this, I'll be sure to come back to this thread!

3. Jan 21, 2014 at 12:04 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated

Products Discussed in

To Top