Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Vinyl wrapped

Old 06-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #21
thegreatwall23 is a splendid one to beholdthegreatwall23 is a splendid one to beholdthegreatwall23 is a splendid one to beholdthegreatwall23 is a splendid one to beholdthegreatwall23 is a splendid one to beholdthegreatwall23 is a splendid one to beholdthegreatwall23 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Danny
thegreatwall23's Tacoma Gallery
From what I have read... If you are in a hot environment, like Texas or somewhere like that and it isn't in a garage, about 7 years. My truck is only driven as a second car and stays in the garage and I live in TN, so I think it will last me double that.

It is supposed to stop rock chips, etc... Not sure about scratches, I am going to test a spare piece later today.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #22
thegreatwall23 is a splendid one to beholdthegreatwall23 is a splendid one to beholdthegreatwall23 is a splendid one to beholdthegreatwall23 is a splendid one to beholdthegreatwall23 is a splendid one to beholdthegreatwall23 is a splendid one to beholdthegreatwall23 is a splendid one to behold

I just placed a spare piece of vinyl on a piece of metal and did some scratch tests. I scratched deep enough to scratch the metal and went across the vinyl. It scratched just like the metal, but when I peeled back the vinyl if protected the metal completely. I then tried some keys and it scratched the vinyl, but not underneath. I then cleaned the vinyl and the scratches weren't as visible, but still there. So, it will definitely protect the paint. Probably depends on the finish you get on how visible scratches are on the vinyl.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #23
NvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Jeff
NvrSumR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatwall23 View Post
From what I have read... If you are in a hot environment, like Texas or somewhere like that and it isn't in a garage, about 7 years. My truck is only driven as a second car and stays in the garage and I live in TN, so I think I will last me double that.

It is supposed to stop rock chips, etc... Not sure about scratches, I am going to test a spare piece later today.
That's longer than I expected. Very cool!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #24
instagram: ATC510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
dam great job man! looks great! I've been wanting to do this myself as my truck is scratched up bad.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #25
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Very cool. Good work!
Old 06-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #26
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great!! I've done 5 car roofs myself and my roof on my double cab twice. I want to wrap the whole truck a different color at the end of this year
Old 06-10-2013, 04:47 AM   #27
yota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: E.J.
yota243's Tacoma Gallery
what color was it before? and if not grey, i assume u have to change that at the dmv as well right? did u do under the hood where all the cross brace stuff is or is it still original?
Old 06-10-2013, 05:17 AM   #28

The original color was Silver Streak Mica. I haven't done anything with the dmv. lol... I didn't even really ever think of that. Not sure what I need to do there. I will probably just roll with it and explain if something happens.

No, you don't do the underside... You just cut a little past the edges and tuck and fold under and stick to the bottom side.

I didn't do behind the cab further than my hand could reach. You could take the bed off and do that, but I didn't do it. Each panel was a piece of vinyl. So, I would measure one panel, say the fender, then cut a sheet that size and put it on. Some people do over lay the entire side of the truck then cut in the creases and tuck, but I wanted to get the gaps better, so there wouldn't be any of the old color showing threw. It is very tedious... I am not sure how many hours it took me, but it was several. You just have to take your time if you want it too look good. Then again, this was the first time I had ever messed with vinyl, so someone that knows what they are doing would be much better at it I'm sure.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:21 AM   #29
fbj913 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
fbj913's Tacoma Gallery
looks killer. do they offer other colors? i did a little searching already but cant find much.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #31
black_magic2010 is on a distinguished road

Army: 644th Transcompany/1st I.D.
black_magic2010's Tacoma Gallery
Did you remove the door handles, headlights, grill, or fenders flares to wrap the area around or behind these? Also did u wrapp the inside of the doors with the same piece used for the outside of the doors. I've seen a few videos where this is done so that none of the original color is showing.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:05 AM   #32
Robotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobotoco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roberto
Robotoco's Tacoma Gallery
looks real good form hear man i love that color
Old 06-10-2013, 06:06 AM   #33
fbj913 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
fbj913's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
looks killer. do they offer other colors? i did a little searching already but cant find much.
ha, found it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5ft-x10ft-NE...item589a1e4d34
Old 06-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_magic2010 View Post
Did you remove the door handles, headlights, grill, or fenders flares to wrap the area around or behind these? Also did u wrapp the inside of the doors with the same piece used for the outside of the doors. I've seen a few videos where this is done so that none of the original color is showing.
I did remove the door handles, but not the headlights. I was able to cut around the edge and tuck them around the headlights. I have an aftermarket grill and bumpers, so I only had the truck panels to do. I only wrapped the inside of the doors where it would be visible to the outside of the truck. But all of those pieces were used to cover a panel and then tucks and formed to the inside of the doors. If you open a door, you will see the old color and the vinyl line where it stops. The line isn't really straight either, I thought about going back and straightening that out to make it look a little better with the door open.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #36
black_magic2010 is on a distinguished road

Army: 644th Transcompany/1st I.D.
black_magic2010's Tacoma Gallery
bump..just cause I think this such a cool mod for the truck. Sure others have done it and hopefully they chime in. Photos of your wrapped truck greatly appreciated. I plan on doing this sometime before the summer is over.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #37
dustinJ is on a distinguished road

Name: Dustin
dustinJ's Tacoma Gallery
I use my truck in the oil field and I think this would be an awesome mod to save the paint on our trucks. Thanks for the info. I'm going to give it a shot on mine.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #38
TeamBlue
alegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shedalegav is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
alegav's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to alegav Send a message via Yahoo to alegav
AWESOME!!! I was also thinking about a vinyl wrap, I got a quote from a local comapny with a great reputation and they wanted $2700. Needless to say I didnt go through with it. But for what you paid and some time and a buddy I would LOVE to tackle this. Your truck looks great. How do you wash it, or do you just spray it off?

Alex
Old 06-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegav View Post
AWESOME!!! I was also thinking about a vinyl wrap, I got a quote from a local comapny with a great reputation and they wanted $2700. Needless to say I didnt go through with it. But for what you paid and some time and a buddy I would LOVE to tackle this. Your truck looks great. How do you wash it, or do you just spray it off?

Alex
Yeah, same thing for me. My quote was 3k, you can do it for about 600 yourself. You wash it like a normal car. If you end up with matte or carbon fiber finish, you can't wax it! It will leave a white residue. They said any detail spray is fine on it.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #40

I have had several people interested and asking a lot of questions, so I thought I would post this up... The place that I got my vinyl is running a 10% off sale right now on Ebay. So, it would save you 50-60 depending on how much you buy or if you have a single vs double cab. Here is the link to his store.

http://stores.ebay.com/AutoVinylSolutions