Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear-end noise on 2009 4x4 Sport

Old 02-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
kbenoit001 is on a distinguished road
kbenoit001's Tacoma Gallery
Rear-end noise on 2009 4x4 Sport

I'm hearing an unfamiliar sound and was wondering if someone can help me pinpoint the problem. I have a 2009 4x4 Sport.

When my rear tires or on an uneven surface (right rear higher than left rear especially) and I make a fairly quick turn, I get a beep followed by a "clicking" in the rear end. The best way for me to describe the sound is that it sounds like a slipping gear. Now, I am assuming there is something wrong with the limited slip. I am not mechanically familiar enough with differentials to pinpoint exactly what the sound is but I know it is abnormal. It is only when the limited slip activates that I hear this noise. The truck drives normally on the road even when accelerating hard.

Can someone explain how this limited slip works and what exactly I am hearing?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
the 09 limited slip isn't a mechanical device anymore... 05-08 had mechanical LSDs in the Sports.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
the 09 limited slip isn't a mechanical device anymore... 05-08 had mechanical LSDs in the Sports.

So, how does it work then? Brakes? Any ideas on the noise?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know this by first hand experience in a '09 Taco but I would be willing to bet the 'beep' is your truck letting you know the traction control/stability control is kicking in. The 'clicking' could probably be attributed to the pulsing of your brakes to correct the issue (auto-LSD). Like Delmarva said, the new LSD is fully electronic and not mechanical.

It works by applying the brakes to whatever wheel loosing tracking, thus redirecting power to the wheel with more traction.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
No idea on how it works really -- I'm assuming the ECU senses wheel slippage and brakes the slipping wheel... much like VSC me thinks...
Old 02-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
I don't know this by first hand experience in a '09 Taco but I would be willing to bet the 'beep' is your truck letting you know the traction control/stability control is kicking in. The 'clicking' could probably be attributed to the pulsing of your brakes to correct the issue (auto-LSD). Like Delmarva said, the new LSD is fully electronic and not mechanical.

It works by applying the brakes to whatever wheel loosing tracking, thus redirecting power to the wheel with more traction.
That makes sense. If anyone with an '09 has experienced this, I would appreciate your feedback. It sure is an odd sound for a component that is working properly.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
Prayers for Bill and Michelle
trcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant future

trcksr4grls's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to trcksr4grls
I would say if an '09 take it to the dealership...lol
Old 02-24-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcksr4grls View Post
I would say if an '09 take it to the dealership...lol

Oh, I have an appointment at 8am tomorrow. I just like to know what I'm talking about when I deal with those wahoos.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
Prayers for Bill and Michelle
trcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant futuretrcksr4grls has a brilliant future

trcksr4grls's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to trcksr4grls
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenoit001 View Post
Oh, I have an appointment at 8am tomorrow. I just like to know what I'm talking about when I deal with those wahoos.

LMAOOOOOOOO he said wahoo's!!!!
Old 02-24-2009, 03:00 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcksr4grls View Post
LMAOOOOOOOO he said wahoo's!!!!

I'm a big fisherman
Old 02-24-2009, 03:25 PM   #11
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
the clicking and beeping is the TRAC and/or auto lsd kicking in. if the wheels are on uneven surfaces, the comp takes that into account and adjusts accordingly. no need for a dealer...its what its supposed to do
Old 02-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
the clicking and beeping is the TRAC and/or auto lsd kicking in. if the wheels are on uneven surfaces, the comp takes that into account and adjusts accordingly. no need for a dealer...its what its supposed to do
Ok, someone with an '09, that's great. So you've experienced this? A clicking/slipping sound?
Old 02-24-2009, 03:36 PM   #13
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yes....offroad and taking a sharp turn. and actually, i think i misspoke before...its the VSC thats kicking in. its saying basically that it deems whatever ur doing to be unstable and the vehicle could lose control. so it overrides what ur doing and sends info to the sensors and makes it do what it wants. completely normal. i got it a lot while offroading through mud in 4hi.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
yes....offroad and taking a sharp turn. and actually, i think i misspoke before...its the VSC thats kicking in. its saying basically that it deems whatever ur doing to be unstable and the vehicle could lose control. so it overrides what ur doing and sends info to the sensors and makes it do what it wants. completely normal. i got it a lot while offroading through mud in 4hi.
That's great, thanks for the input. A little disappointing though, sometimes I like to be unstable and out of control.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #15
Sooooooper Moderator

u can tuen the VSC off by sitting at a stand still, pressing and holding the buttom that looks like a truck peeling out, and u'll see the VSC off and i think the auto lsd lights turn on. do that and try it again and see what u get
Old 02-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #16
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Read page 283 of your owners manual.

"Tips for driving in various conditions"

.Four-wheel drive models-
Old 02-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #17
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsupl View Post
Read page 283 of your owners manual.

"Tips for driving in various conditions"

.Four-wheel drive models-

These trucks come with an owners manual?...