Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bought/sold/about to buy again 2013 DC LB, should I do it??

Old 06-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
Tony1790 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Retired BMC, USCG
Name: Tony
Tony1790's Tacoma Gallery
Bought/sold/about to buy again 2013 DC LB, should I do it??

New guy here, long story/question:

In Dec 2012, the neighboring Toyota store had a sale going on DC SB for $28,500, would have been $27,500 with college discount, but they were out of stock with more to arrive shortly. So instead I bought a 2012 RAV4 V6 Limited for the wife to be. Meanwhile, the Tacoma's come in, but not on the same sale, so I go to another Tacoma store in Feb 2013 and get a 2013 DC LB SR5 4x4 V6 for $27,100 with college rebate.

Fast forward to May 2013 and fiance decides to sell her sports car that sat in the garage and buy a Mazda3 to get better gas mileage. So now we have 3 car payments, not good. I put up the Tacoma and Rav4 on Craigslist for sale, I get a call from a dealer, he buys my Tacoma for $28,800, so now I'm driving the RAV4. It's a rocket, it gets good mileage, but I like driving a truck better, sooooo.

As of June 2013 (now) the best deal I can get is $28,955 for a new 2013 DC LB just like the one I sold. I am losing money on the RAV4 and will owe nearly $4000 more for the new Tacoma than I currently owe on the RAV.

I can buy a 2013 Frontier DC just like the Tacoma, but with a few extra features for $3000 less than the Tacoma. I could just drive the RAV and use a trailer for any bed needs or buy a used truck with the $4000 as a home depot getter.

Any recommendations?

1. Get the Tacoma tomorrow & trade in RAV for $4000 more than I owe now.
2. Get the Frontier & trade in the RAV for $1000 more than I own now.
3. Keep the RAV & buy a used truck for $4000 and use it to haul stuff
4. Keep the RAV and just use my enclosed motorcycle trailer to haul stuff

It's a PITA to hook up the RAV to a trailer everytime I need to move bigger stuff, but the gas mileage and less debt of the RAV is appealing as well.

What say you? If someone would've bought the RAV instead of the Taco, we wouldn't be having this question. The only thing that I didn't like about my Taco was the driveline vibration at 20mph that couldn't be fixed, the mud flaps and the lack of MPG lie-o-meter that my RAV does.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
Molon Labe
WThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Will
WThomas1250's Tacoma Gallery
I would go with 3 or 4. You could also try to sell the Rav for something cheaper (Corolla, Civic--for gas mileage) and then you'd have even more money for a used truck
Old 06-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
So why did your fiancé buy a mazda3 when you just got her a rav4? Did she not like the rav?
Old 06-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
Go with option #4 (you listed #2 twice). Why take a hit on the RAV4 for 4k? You already kind of answered your own question regarding the debt and the gas mileage. Not only that, Tacoma's are classed differently for insurance purposes so you are paying more for insurance vs. the small SUV. How badly do you want that truck? Make a pro-con list and figure it out that way.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If you NEED a truck, I'd get the Frontier. Keep in mind, a decent enclosed motorcycle trailer will cost you at least $1,500, then you have to register and maintain it (and pay inspection and excise taxes on it annually depending on how your state does things).
Old 06-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Sell the Rav and get something you can afford.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAggie View Post
So why did your fiancé buy a mazda3 when you just got her a rav4? Did she not like the rav?
New job, 78 miles round trip and the RAV is only getting 21mpg
Old 06-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
New job, 78 miles round trip and the RAV is only getting 21mpg
Oh ok! If I were in your shoes I would sell the rav4 and buy a nice 1st gen and pay off the car ASAP. The 1st gen will hold its value and do everything you need a vehicle to do, until you get everything payed off.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
wo wo wo... slow down.. geeze.. your car buying habits made my head spin.. you may take a 4k hit on the rav 4.. but you will keep better resale on the taco than the frontier.. you might make that 4 k up later..
Old 06-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
Moco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311/0331 Security Plt. Hot dogs & Soda 2/23
Moco's Tacoma Gallery
2 things:

I.) Not sure what your vehicle history is, but if you think the Rav4 is a rocket, you need to go drive a real car (any late model Mustang, Camaro, Challenger with a V8)

II.) I take it from your avatar that you are in the CG? I assume you're not making tons and tons of money - even if you are an officer, but especially if you're enlisted. Maybe it would be a wise decision to quit buying cars? you got lucky with your previous truck - selling it for about what you paid - but this musical chair of vehicles that you're playing is going to eat away money that could be better used for other things (401K, house, bills, etc.).

My advice would be to keep a DD for the fiance, get rid of the RAV4, and if you must have a truck, buy a good condition used Tacoma or other.

Of course, all this is my opinion and you're apparently a grown man. So do what you please, but understand you buying new cars and getting rid of them almost immediately is not a sound financial practice.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #12
MadMan is on a distinguished road

MadMan's Tacoma Gallery
We have both, wife's 2012 RAV4 Limited and mine 2013 Tacoma.

I like Taco a lot, but would drive RAV4 if I had a trailer to use a few times a year, when I needed more room then fits inside it.

If I was in your shoes and with your budget, I would keep RAV4 and pay it off as fast as I could, same with wife's Mazda.

At your age, having money to do fun stuff is more important over big monthly car payments.

I drove $500 cars until I turned 28 and got married. Had all kind of money my friends didn't, but they did have nice new cars, which they couldn't afford to drive or do anything fun.

Meanwhile, I got to travel around the world...
Old 06-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moco View Post
2 things:

I.) Not sure what your vehicle history is, but if you think the Rav4 is a rocket, you need to go drive a real car (any late model Mustang, Camaro, Challenger with a V8)
You should do your homework. The Rav4 V6 is pretty damn quick.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #14
Moco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0311/0331 Security Plt. Hot dogs & Soda 2/23
Moco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You should do your homework. The Rav4 V6 is pretty damn quick.

In fairness, compared to a Tacoma it IS fast. But its a little SUV, if youre buying a RAV4 for acceleration, you're doing it wrong. either way, in no terms would I call it a 'rocket'.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #15

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

In fairness, compared to a Tacoma it IS fast. But its a little SUV, if youre buying a RAV4 for acceleration, you're doing it wrong. either way, in no terms would I call it a 'rocket'.
Yeah, it's all relative
Old 06-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #16
Quote:

For a little SUV it's a rocket, especially compared to the Taco, and yes Mustang's, etc are of course much faster
Old 06-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #17
Barrel is on a distinguished road
Barrel's Tacoma Gallery
stop spending money

My advice in matters such as this rarely tends to go over well in 21st century America, but less debt is better. Period.

You're just out of school. Pay off your vehicles or sell them and buy a beater. Save your money. Avoid debt. You can still enjoy your life by living within your means.

Put money aside and then someday in the not too distant future haggle the hell out of a dealer for the truck of your dreams....then write him a check. Driving it will be soooo sweet.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #18
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrel View Post
My advice in matters such as this rarely tends to go over well in 21st century America, but less debt is better. Period.

You're just out of school. Pay off your vehicles or sell them and buy a beater. Save your money. Avoid debt. You can still enjoy your life by living within your means.

Put money aside and then someday in the not too distant future haggle the hell out of a dealer for the truck of your dreams....then write him a check. Driving it will be soooo sweet.

this is anti american..
im totally kidding.. its great advice.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #19
Quote:

I take it from your avatar that you are in the CG?

My advice would be to keep a DD for the fiance, get rid of the RAV4, and if you must have a truck, buy a good condition used Tacoma or other.

Of course, all this is my opinion and you're apparently a grown man. So do what you please, but understand you buying new cars and getting rid of them almost immediately is not a sound financial practice.
Good valid points,

My last vehicle, 99 Jeep Cherokee, I had for 10 years and yes trading cars is not smart, but that doesn't change the position I'm in now. I was thinking that these were long term purchases. I'm retired military now, the website added my Avatar for me when I signed up.

I've been trying to sell the RAV4 with no luck, by trading it in on another vehicle, I get sales tax credit, in this case about $2500 in taxes I don't have to pay on a new vehicle.

I'd rather have a paid for vehicle, than a brand new vehicle, but all of the Taco's around here aren't too much cheaper than a new one with 0 miles.

FWIW, I could get a 2013 4cyl access cab Taco 4x4 for about what I owe on the RAV4 now, OTD.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #20
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
You know your finances better than anyone... Why ask others what to do with your money? From your comments you know financially it's wrong... So why do it? I lost money on my trade towards my Taco but I wanted it, didn't care and could afford to do it. Seems like your looking for Somone to push you in one direction or another but only you should be deciding which it is. Good luck with your decision.