1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weird Rubbing Sound

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by helbnt, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Jun 11, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    helbnt

helbnt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shad
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC LB 4x4
    Hi all,

My truck ('06 DBL Cab, 4x4, 96K miles) has developed what sounds like something rubbing coming from the front. It could be left or right side; sounds like the left, but that could just be from where I'm sitting.

I've had the same tires (275s) on it for over a year. I've not had anything added or done to the truck before this noise started.

The rubbing sound completely disappears when I'm making right hand turns.

Any ideas where I can start looking?

Thanks!

2. Jun 11, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    YOTA LOVER

YOTA LOVER Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    A slew of pricey stuff my wife hates me for.
    Check for play in any of the front end components on both sides; UCA and LCA bushings, tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints, wheel bearings. Check for evidence of rubbing on the frame or fenders.

Sounds like there is some play that is allowing the wheel to rub.

3. Jun 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    helbnt

Member:
    First Name:
    Shad
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC LB 4x4
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. Not to sound like a complete dumbass (which I will admit to), how should I go about doing this? Take the wheel off and start pulling on things?

4. Jun 11, 2013 at 9:31 AM
    YOTA LOVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    Start with a visual inspection of the ball joints and outer tie rod ends. If the boots are cracked/split open that is the first indicator they could be bad.

I suspect it isn't an issue with the tie rod ends, but you need to check to be sure. You won't be able to inspect the inner tie rod ends unless you remove the boot on the rack and pinion, so hold off on those for now.

With the truck still on the ground rock the tire by pushing and pulling on the top of it. If you have a friend help they can rock the tire and you can get under the truck to check for movement of the upper ball joint and the upper control arm bushings. If there is no play in the UCA bushings or upper ball joint, but you can still feel play (clunking/clicking) while the tire is being rocked than the wheel bearing is bad.

With one side of the truck lifted (use a jack stand), the steering wheel locked, have your friend move the tire left to right (like it would move when steering). Look and feel for play in the tie rod. If there is play than either the inner or outer tie rod is bad. If it's the outer, you'll be able to see it. Process of elimination. Also check the rack and pinion, bit of a long shot but it could be bad as well. Look for leaking, worn mounts, and play in the tie rod as it enters the R&P. You should remove the clamp on the boot (have new ones available or heavy duty zip ties), pull the boot back, and wiggle the tie rod. You'll be able to see the inner tie rod end at this point, so check it for play. I replaced 3 R&Ps over the life of my 95 Taco. *While the truck is still in the air spin the wheel. If you suspect the wheel bearing you should be able to feel a little resistance, or at least it won't spin very smoothly as it should. If you aren't sure because of the weight of the wheel, remove it and give the hub a spin slowly by hand.

Now have your friend rock the tire in and out from the bottom. Observe for play in the lower ball joint and the lower control arm bushings.

Repeat all that on the other side and hopefully you find the culprit. It's important to isolate and fix any worn/damaged parts on the front end ASAP because if they fail bad things happen quickly.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  5. Jun 11, 2013 at 10:06 AM
    helbnt

Member:
    First Name:
    Shad
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC LB 4x4
    Wow - thanks for the detailed explanation! I will definitely try all this when I get home today.

6. Jun 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM
    podo74

podo74 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Kona
    Vehicle:
    '05 DCAB
    Had a similar issue issue. Gen2taco posted a video that had exactly my problem...with the whole turning thing and all. ended up being wheel bearing. if everything above checks out try go there. if you can get a hold of someone who can press in the bearing than you should be able to do it in a few hours. beats spending $600(that was the quote i got). good luck

7. Jun 11, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    YOTA LOVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    If you've determined its the wheel bearing you can pull apart the whole front end and bring the spindle in to a good machine shop, and they will press out the old and press in the new. On the Gen 1 (4WD) there was a big retaining ring holding the bearing assembly in the spindle, and the Gen 2 may be the same. Ensure they know how to get it apart properly.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  8. Jun 12, 2013 at 3:54 PM
    YOTA LOVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    What's up OP? What did you discover?

9. Jun 20, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    helbnt

Member:
    First Name:
    Shad
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC LB 4x4
    Sorry it took me awhile to get back to ya'll - the original problem was definitely a wheel bearing. So I took it to my local shop and they fixed it up. Thanks both for the great advice. Rep'd ya both.

However, shortly after getting it back, I noticed a new, different sound while making turns again. Always when I was backing out of a spot and turning at the same time, or moving forward from a stop and turning. Never directly from a straight shot though.

Took it back to the mechanic and he called back asking if I'd recently had the differential oil changed. I mentioned that I had taken it to Jiffy Lube not the week before (yeah, I don't wrench my own truck. Shoot me), and had that done as part of the service. He said unless they used a specific "Synthetic Hypoid (sp?) Oil", I might run into problems.

So I'm taking the truck back to Jiffy Lube this afternoon and seeing what's up with that.

Weeee...

10. Jun 20, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    YOTA LOVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    Glad you got that wheel bearing replaced, just too bad you don't get in there and split some knuckles yourself :D You can learn a lot and save some serious money!

Here's a link thats got a picture of the manual, and it lists the hypoid gear oil for the front diff. Jiffy lube probably fucked it up.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...-differential-gear-oil-change-second-gen.html

If they did fuck it up make sure they get that other shit oil out of there and the right stuff in.

11. Jun 20, 2013 at 11:09 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    if it was back, i was gonna say check leaf springs. i've just got the three pack on my little 4x2 base. the middle spring on the driver side shifted a 1/4 inch or so causing it the little bracket up front to rub agaist the upper leaf. hammer fixed that.

12. Jun 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM
    helbnt

Member:
    First Name:
    Shad
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC LB 4x4
    Just got back from the garage - took it over to JL, told them they fucked up, they brought it in, did something while I sat in their shitty waiting room listening to the crap about the Zimmerman jury selection (calling them the "Seminole Six". I wish I could gag all the talking heads on the TV), then a guys came out and said he thought it was better. I made the guy get in the truck with me, and as I was backing out of the space, same shudder.

So he gives me a business card for a mechanic down the road and said he'd call and tell them I was coming (and truthfully, the guy I was dealing with at JL was alright - just didn't have the knowledge/product needed I guess). Take it to the garage, they get it up on the lift, drain it, flush it, fill it, including the additive, drive it around to make sure it's good and give me the keys, telling me they'll bill Jiffy Lube. And that right there is why I'm smiling right now. Truck is running smooth and feelin' happy!:D

13. Jun 20, 2013 at 3:57 PM
    YOTA LOVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    Proof in the pudding. I don't like the dealership working on my truck, I wouldn't let jiffy lube clean my windows.

14. Jun 21, 2013 at 6:09 AM
    helbnt

Member:
    First Name:
    Shad
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC LB 4x4
    Yeah, this whole episode got me thinking - I couldn't do much with the bearing; simply don't have the tools/experience/space. But fluid changes seem within my reach. And I know there are plenty of how-to's around here.

Might be time to hit up craigslist and get some used tools!

Thanks again for all the help Yota. Much appreciated.

15. Jun 21, 2013 at 6:52 AM
    YOTA LOVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    For the first couple of years think of the money you save in parts and labor as free tools. After you've got a good toolbox set up you're saving money at $60-75/hour. Good luck!

16. Jun 21, 2013 at 7:16 AM
    MassAppeal16

MassAppeal16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carrollton, KY
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD MGM DCSB
    marked for later

Products Discussed in

To Top