Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Budgeted $3500 for tires/wheels/lift thoughts?

View Poll Results: Which Set of Tires To add to my 3" Lift??
Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 265/70/17 40 42.11%
BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO 275/70/17 30 31.58%
BF GoodRich Mud-Terrain T/A KO 255/80/17 19 20.00%
Hankook Dynapro ATM 255/75/17 6 6.32%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
Remember Your ABC's. Always. Be. Cool.
Bsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Brandon
Bsheriff11's Tacoma Gallery
Budgeted $3500 for tires/wheels/lift thoughts?

Updated****
Bought: Icon stage 3 with Dakar springs.
Decision: Tires? Keeping stock sport wheels. Added a poll, so help me out! Not interested in 285s.

Ok so I've researched and want a 3" lift kit for my 2012 Tacoma Dbsb. I was thinking of ordering the OME kit with the complete leaf pack, diff. Drop, and top spacers from Toytec. For the tires, maybe some BFG A/T KO's and grabbing some FJ TT matte black 16" wheels. Haven't decided on the spidery tax spacers yet or if I want to get 265/75/16 or the 285's. I drive 80% highway. What are yall's thoughts on this and what am I missing/what would you more experienced Taco owners do with that budget (on topic!) thanks in advance and looking forward to it!
Old 06-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
Mustard Tiger
OrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shedOrlPreds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
OrlPreds's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like a solid plan to me man. thats the lift setup i am saving for.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
tdunc is a jewel in the roughtdunc is a jewel in the roughtdunc is a jewel in the roughtdunc is a jewel in the rough
tdunc's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the same plan as you, except I'm looking at Duratracs instead of BFGs. I've been reading a lot about 265s vs 285s and still can't really decide. I really like the look of 285s, but since I'm mostly highway/road driving too, I'm worried about gas mileage suffering. I'm getting the BAMF CMC (cab mount chop) plates installed soon either way. That way it will be easier to go with 285s if I feel like it...which I'll probably end up with. I also purchased the stainless steel extended brake lines.

From my same research, looks like your budget is really close. Just remember you'll have to pay for install (unless DIY), alignment after the lift, brake lines + fluid, and possibly re-calibration to ABS computer at dealership
Old 06-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
TanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to allTanaTaco is a name known to all

Name: James
TanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsheriff11 View Post
Ok so I've researched and want a 3" lift kit for my 2012 Tacoma Dbsb. I was thinking of ordering the OME kit with the complete leaf pack, diff. Drop, and top spacers from Toytec. For the tires, maybe some BFG A/T KO's and grabbing some FJ TT matte black 16" wheels. Haven't decided on the spidery tax spacers yet or if I want to get 265/75/16 or the 285's. I drive 80% highway. What are yall's thoughts on this and what am I missing/what would you more experienced Taco owners do with that budget (on topic!) thanks in advance and looking forward to it!
Sounds like a good route, from what I've heard you won't be needing those diff drops though
Old 06-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Bsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdunc View Post
I've got the same plan as you, except I'm looking at Duratracs instead of BFGs. I've been reading a lot about 265s vs 285s and still can't really decide. I really like the look of 285s, but since I'm mostly highway/road driving too, I'm worried about gas mileage suffering. I'm getting the BAMF CMC (cab mount chop) plates installed soon either way. That way it will be easier to go with 285s if I feel like it...which I'll probably end up with. I also purchased the stainless steel extended brake lines.

From my same research, looks like your budget is really close. Just remember you'll have to pay for install (unless DIY), alignment after the lift, brake lines + fluid, and possibly re-calibration to ABS computer at dealership
Luckily a buddy of mine owns a shop and will let me have at it after hours! The extended brake lines is what I also need to consider! Thanks!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Good lift choice OP. you won't need the diff drop and I'd get the duratracs over the bfg's.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
tdunc is a jewel in the roughtdunc is a jewel in the roughtdunc is a jewel in the roughtdunc is a jewel in the rough
tdunc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Luckily a buddy of mine owns a shop and will let me have at it after hours! The extended brake lines is what I also need to consider! Thanks!
Nice, that will definitely help. I found a group a guys here in Houston who said they'd help me. Much better than having someone work on the truck that doesn't actually care about her! I also forgot to mention I bought Light Racing UCAs too.

Here's the lines I got. Ordered yesterday morning, shipped yesterday afternoon, I'll probably have them tomorrow or Thursday. Awesome turnaround time. Some guys on here say they aren't 100% needed for the OME 3". However, it's supposed to make the leaf pack install much easier (even though only an additional 2"), and I'd rather have SS lines with the extra room for travel. Good purchase in my mind.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...group-buy.html

Oh ya, and I've read the same as ppl are saying above, probably won't need the diff drop. Some trucks, it's actually made things worse.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
im just going to leave this here.. ome with 285's.. do it.

Untitled by beavis0076, on Flickr
Old 06-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #9

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
im just going to leave this here.. ome with 285's.. do it.

Untitled by beavis0076, on Flickr
Nice! Trim much? Tdunc, thanks for the link. Good info so far, def. will not do the diff. Drop, I was 50/50 on that any way!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Your setup sounds pretty good to me. Not sure what the offsets are on the FJ's so you might or might not need wheel spacers. You might also want to look into getting some aftermarket UCA's.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #11

EMS:
The FJ wheels are 15mm offset
Old 06-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #12
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
The FJ wheels are 15mm offset
Oh okay. You will probably need some wheel spacers depending on what size tires you get.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #13

EMS:
Well the FJ's are 15 mm offset so I'm not sure I would need wheel spacers if I go the 285 route, guessing if I did that would give me like 4.5 inches of back spacing?
Old 06-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #14
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Well the FJ's are 15 mm offset so I'm not sure I would need wheel spacers if I go the 285 route, guessing if I did that would give me like 4.5 inches of back spacing?
Um I'm not positive what it would give you with the spacers. I have a -12mm offset and thats like a 4.5" backspacing.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #15

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay21 View Post
Um I'm not positive what it would give you with the spacers. I have a -12mm offset and thats like a 4.5" backspacing.
Ok, so the spacers are the way to go then thanks!
Old 06-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #16
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Nice! Trim much? Tdunc, thanks for the link. Good info so far, def. will not do the diff. Drop, I was 50/50 on that any way!
Nope.. Front muflaps had to come off including the little ones in front of the wheels. Hairdryer to heat up the fender liner and push it back a hair. Thats it.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #17
Fivespeed is on a distinguished road
Navy: EN2
Fivespeed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
Nope.. Front muflaps had to come off including the little ones in front of the wheels. Hairdryer to heat up the fender liner and push it back a hair. Thats it.
No CMC or anything? Must be nice. I had to cut quite a bit of plastic fender liner at the front of the wheel and I need to trim my fender flare at the back of the wheel and also do a CMC to completely get rid of any rubbing at full flex.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #18
Bad Spuller

Nope. Ive never had any issues and have had i out on many trails here in the cascade mts
Old 06-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #19
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Ok, so the spacers are the way to go then thanks!
Yeah you might want to look into getting some aftermarket UCA's as well if your going to go over 2.5"s up front.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #20

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay21 View Post
Yeah you might want to look into getting some aftermarket UCA's as well if your going to go over 2.5"s up front.
Yes, I am getting the icon UCA's with this set up, thank you.

Products Discussed in this Thread