Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Low RPM vibrations after fixing U-Joints!

Old 06-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
sschneider is on a distinguished road

Name: Scott
sschneider's Tacoma Gallery
Low RPM vibrations after fixing U-Joints!

I have 112,000 miles on my truck. My truck is having serious vibration issues. I replaced the tires, had them balanced and aligned. After that my truck still wanted to vibrate. The vibration only happened in low gear when accelerating and going up small hills. I recently discovered two out of three U-Joints were bad. I just replaced all three U-Joints. Well... most of the vibration is gone but once in a while there is still a vibration when accelerating.

some of the following advice was given to fix the problem.... Can anybody help me?

- Flush and change the transmission fluid?
- Rotate my drive shaft 180 degrees?

Does anybody have the answer?
Old 06-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a center carrier bearing in the drive shaft?
Old 06-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
slowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Retired
Name: Mike
slowmachine's Tacoma Gallery
I would be very suspicious of the new tires and the balance job. Recheck, maybe at a different shop.

Mike
Old 06-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
Calmer than you are
jmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al Tonter
jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
Did you mark the position if the drive shaft prior to removal, and ensure it went back in the same way?

Are you sure your u joints are in phase?
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ft/index2.html
^^^info on phase^^^
Old 06-12-2013, 03:33 AM   #5
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg256 View Post
Did you mark the position if the drive shaft prior to removal, and ensure it went back in the same way?

^^^info on phase^^^
+1
Old 06-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
Yes... When pulling off the drive shaft the center bearing seemed fine. However , the middle u-joint was fine and the other 2 joints were rusted.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg256 View Post

^^^info on phase^^^
It seems to be good. the only thing I can think of is taking it apart and rotating the shaft a 180 degrees?

it is awkward, it only shakes around 1,500 rpms while going up hills...

Any other theories?
Old 06-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #8
surfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed
surfrat's Tacoma Gallery
mines does this to.. almost sounds like an engine knock.. haven't figured it out yet
Old 06-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
craigc10 is on a distinguished road

Army: 307th Engr. Bn. 82nd ABN. Div
Name: craig
craigc10's Tacoma Gallery
heh I've only got 3000 miles and mine has a vibration too
Old 06-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
Yes I do. I took the driveshaft off again and looked it over. Everything seems pretty smooth. i am going to take the middle U-Joint apart again and rotate 180 degrees and try again. If that does not work ill call and have it rebalanced or have my transmission flushed. It is driving me insane!