Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

I made a mistake, advise, spindle lift and locker or a 4*4

Old 06-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
I made a mistake, advise, spindle lift and locker or a 4*4

Update: so right after I got my promotion and decided to get a new truck layoffs started due to rising interest rates. I have made it through two rounds of cuts the last two months by working my butt off and staying off tacomaworld. We are down to a small group now and Im starting to feel safer agian. Im going to take my truck to toyota this weekend for my free oil change and I was thinking it might be time now to get a new one. The payment will basically be the same but will be another 60 months before I pay it off. Am I crazy or should I wait? If the payments the same does it really matter if I get laid off Im still going to owe. The other news is I will probably drop 2,000 into new suspension and UCAs and another 1,500 on armor but the armor can wait. What would you guys do?

So I bought the right truck at the time for me. But now I want to offroad after being a member on here. I got a promotion and am think about upgrading.

Should I strip down my truck and trade it in for a 2013 white trd off road double cab 4*4 and wait for upgrades due to the loss on my trade in.

or

keep my truck get a spindle lift, trail armor and a locker.

I have enjoyed being a memeber on here and my prerunner is not better than your stock 4*4.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
i think in the end you would be happier with 4x4.
x2
Old 06-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
NRA Endowment - Member
mwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwc273's Tacoma Gallery
Go for the 4X4! (Try it... You'll like it...)
I got a sport 4X4 and was going to lift it 4", but it's so tall now I can barely get my canoe up on the rack without a step ladder...
Old 06-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
redtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedredtacoma88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John Austin
redtacoma88's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 makes the truck so much more fun and so much better!
Old 06-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
i think in the end you would be happier with 4x4.

X4
Old 06-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Twat did you say?
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 end thread

That's thing about this site, you buy a prerunner and join. Then you find out you 'need' a 4x4 to have the fun you really want to have
Old 06-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
i'm a prerunner and was going to upgrade to a 2013 4x4 dcsb and was totally not worth the extra expense to me.. I say if u like ur truck outfit it to be the best it can be.. ARB rear locker ect. I don't want my truck to go anywhere I would need 4x4 but I like trail riding..
Old 06-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
nathan3306 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AMMO
Name: Nathan
nathan3306's Tacoma Gallery
You maybe surprised what you can get for a trade if not try and sell it locally. I paid right at 28K for my SR5 out the door and Traded it in within the same year for 26,500. I also say get the 4x4!! Congratz on the promotion by the way. Those are hard to come by these days.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
IAFF Local 34 Professional FireFighters
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Yup... If you plan on doing a lot of off road then you will be happier with a 4x4.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Transfercase mod!
Old 06-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #12
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like im getting a 4*4. I can strip everything off except the 5100s tires and rims. Do you think toyota will swap my suspension, tires, and rims for me with the new trucks?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademan925 View Post
Sounds like im getting a 4*4. I can strip everything off except the 5100s tires and rims. Do you think toyota will swap my suspension, tires, and rims for me with the new trucks?
Work it into the deal. The dealership will do anything if the price is right but I'm sure you'd be better off putting your current truck back to stock, trading it that way and then having a local shop put the lift on your new truck (then either sell off your stock stuff or keep it for future use).
Old 06-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #14
TacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDeLaPlaya is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bobby
TacoDeLaPlaya's Tacoma Gallery
My buddy has a stock tundra 06 non trd 2wd open diff. It has followed a defender 90 anywhere we have ever gone offroading. Barstow, ocotillo, beach, hill climbs it will do it with more wheels spin and a little more speed to start. However the difference is the drivers skills my friend with the d90 is a sketchy driver with no sense of car control and my friend with the tundra has been doing trackdays since sophmore year of hs and were 26 now.

I have done enough shit with a 2wd to know that a prerunner is just fine for me. I am not about flexing and rock gardens. I don't know what your trying to do but go offroading first and see what gives you problems...if you enjoy doing the types of offroading your truck cannot do then get a 4x. I know I can have a great time in any vehicle 2 or 4
Old 06-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #15
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like you wont be satisfied until you get the 4x4. I was in the same boat, i talked myself out of the 4x4 and got a trd offroad prerunner instead and was never fully satisfied.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #16
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
sounds like you wont be satisfied until you get the 4x4. I was in the same boat, i talked myself out of the 4x4 and got a trd offroad prerunner instead and was never fully satisfied.

wait WHAT??! you sold your taco?!
Old 06-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #17
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
wait WHAT??! you sold your taco?!
yep. high payments, bad mpg, small bed, small back seat. It wasnt suiting my needs anymore. I solved all of them minus the bed issue (driving a jetta) but my old man has a 8' and a 12' trailer I can tow with my wifes suv if I need to.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #18
GhostDog86 will become famous soon enough

Name: Max
GhostDog86's Tacoma Gallery
If you keep your truck I would say don't get a locker, if your at a point where "driver skill" and a lil throttle won't get you through I don't see the locker doing much. For the cost of a locker I'd get a winch. Cheaper insurance and easier to move to another vehicle.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #19
dustinJ is on a distinguished road

Name: Dustin
dustinJ's Tacoma Gallery
Mines a 4x4 but it's a work truck. It has to be. If I got one for personal use it would be a Pre runner with a mid travel setup. If your not rock crawling or mudding 2wd is fine. Less weight up front and less moving parts. If I were you I'd do a 3-4 inch spindle lift some mid travel rear springs 285's and go fast goodies and play on the trails. I like to go fast though.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinJ View Post
Mines a 4x4 but it's a work truck. It has to be. If I got one for personal use it would be a Pre runner with a mid travel setup. If your not rock crawling or mudding 2wd is fine. Less weight up front and less moving parts. If I were you I'd do a 3-4 inch spindle lift some mid travel rear springs 285's and go fast goodies and play on the trails. I like to go fast though.
look at the terrain difference though. You're in Amarillo...look at the pic he posted, mountains, big trees, and big rocks. Me thinks 4wd is the way to go