1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Having ahard time.....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BBQ BOY, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Feb 24, 2009 at 5:09 PM
    BBQ BOY

BBQ BOY [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    trying to decide whether to get 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive. I have always had 4 wheel drive trucks but never have had a Toyota truck. I do plan on going off road but don't like to play in mud. I will if I have too though. In my are athere seems to be a limited supply of Tacomas. Must be the economy. I think I want a long bed bu there are only 2 in my area and they are 2 wheel drive. As a matter of fact 4x4 Tacomas are hard to come by. Anyway are these truck very capable in 2 wheel drive? If I get a 2 wheel shouild I just install a winch?
    What I plan on doing with this truck are: fishing, hunting, camping. towing my boat and trail riding.

2. Feb 24, 2009 at 5:10 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    4x4... you'll eventually regret the 2wd by the looks of it...

3. Feb 24, 2009 at 5:11 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    I would go with a 4x4 but that is just me.

4. Feb 24, 2009 at 5:16 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    4x4! I compomised by getting the 4x4 with the 2.7L 4 banger. I didnt get the double cab because I still wanted a truck with an actual bed

5. Feb 24, 2009 at 5:17 PM
    BBQ BOY

BBQ BOY [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I talked with a fella tonight who has a 2 wheel drive and he said a buddy of his has the same truck in 4x4 and he gets 4 mpg less.

6. Feb 24, 2009 at 6:19 PM
    Marazzito

Marazzito Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Exhaust, AFE Cold Air Intake, URD Short Shifter, OME 886 HD Lift OME Rear Springs With XL... TRD Supercharger Coming Soon.
    I would get the 4x4 if you plan to do Off-Roading. If you go with a Prerunner, get the TRD Off-Road package, the locker will make a 2 wheel drive act more like a 4 wheel drive Off-Road. Initial cost of a Prerunner with the TRD Off-Road package will be about the same a a 4x4 SR5 with out the Off-Road package. However, you will get a better suspension and I think a nicer looking interior, plus you will be saving MPG's with a 4x2.

7. Feb 24, 2009 at 6:20 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    go with 4x4........................better to have and not need it then to need it and not have it!! and by the sounds of it......you will want one at some point.

8. Feb 24, 2009 at 6:22 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    4x4

I love my Prerunner, but if I was gonna do it all over again, I'd go with 4x4.

9. Feb 24, 2009 at 7:22 PM
    Hardcorehehaw

Hardcorehehaw 1 man wolf pack

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray PreRunner
    Debadged, 20" Liquid Metal Magmas, Yokohama Parada Spec x 285/50/20, Llumar clear bra, Fold-A-Cover G4, Weathertech liners, Wet Okole seat covers, JBS technologies keyless entry keypad.
    I was in your position a week or two ago, I've always had 4x4. In the 3 years I owned my last truck I locked it in 4wd maybe 2 or 3 times.

As the old saying goes it's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

I just got my Prerunner a few days ago and was almost regretting not getting 4wd, but honestly, I'll probably never need it because I won't go out looking for trouble.

I don't think a 4x4 will get 4mpg less, but it will definitely do worse than a 2wd and it will cost more to purchase initially. You just have to weigh out the pros and cons. If you can afford it, I say get it, 1 or 2mpg isn't really that big of a deal, right?

10. Feb 24, 2009 at 7:30 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    I would say 4x4 because you rarely hear anybody say they wish their 4x4 was a 4x2. But you do hear about the other way around. (wish my 4x2 was a 4x4)

11. Feb 24, 2009 at 7:54 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Sit down and write the pros and cons of each truck. Take a hard look at what you really need. You are about to spend some money on a very good product. The product will not let you down. Go to other dealerships,even if its an hour drive away. Their are trucks out their. Get one that fits your needs. When I purchased the current truck I own,I looked for over a month into it. I went to 5 different dealerships until I found what was right for my particular situation. Good luck. :)

12. Feb 24, 2009 at 8:04 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Get the 4WD.

If you have any reason at all to use 4WD, then get it.

Offroading in 2WD is fine but 4WD till take you even farther and alot more fun (depending on your type of wheelin). And obviously, if you're in the snow belt - definately get the 4WD.

13. Feb 24, 2009 at 8:16 PM
    cbcs1987

cbcs1987 Redneck from the hills

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4wd access cab
    6" Fabtech coilover lift. 35/12.50/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, 17x9 ProComp 1089 wheels painted black, UWS black lowprofile toolbox, husky liners, tacoma bed mat, bed lights, Premier stereo, Cobra 19 cb, firestik 3' antenna.
    Trust me. I had a 2wd for a long time and I dont know how I made it without it. Now that I have 4wd I will never have another 2wd, unless its for puttin around town in.

14. Feb 24, 2009 at 8:28 PM
    A.D.

A.D. Desert Riding Ninja

Member:
    SoC♠l 4 life but stationed in Utah
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    4x4 is nice, i have one in my other truck and i have used it plenty, but thats because i know that when i am going to be playing in mud(which is seldom) i am going to need it. I also have a Pre-Runner Taco, and i love this truck, its a TRD Off Road package, that has seen good times off road, but i use it for mainly dirt trails, some small beaches, and dry lake beds, i have never gotten myself into a situation where i needed 4x4 in my Taco, and have found that i rarely ever lock the rear end. I don't wish my Taco was 4x4, cuz what i bought it for is what i use it for, carrying around gear, daily driver, and looking good, LOL. If you feel that you will need 4x4, get it, but if its only a very small chance that you will ever use the 4x4, don't. You will almost never go offroading by yourself, and its something to drink beers about afterwards if you had to get pulled out by one of your buddies. Just my 2 cents.

15. Feb 25, 2009 at 1:28 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    It would probably be easier to give you more accurate information with more specific information on what you are looking for.

Are you buying new and willing to special order or are you buying used?

You said long bed, well only double cabs have a short/long bed option, access cabs and regualr cabs come with the standard bed. If you are concerned about gas mileage are you considering a V6 or the 4cyl, also manual or auto? That changes your options for bed size and cab configuration also. But you mentioned towing, so you are going to want the tow package and the V6, so that takes out your regular cab options.

So you should probably consider a 4x4, Double Cab, long bed, v6, auto...in either the base package, the trd offroad or just sr5 packages..if you go with a prerunner then get a trd offroad package for the locker.

You should probably make an attempt at using the Toyota.com build your own Tacoma since the options vary by region we can not provide you with accurate information.
    This is not going to get you very helpful information around here. I think you need to take the time it took you to make all your post asking for help and do some of your own research first then ask once you are narrowed down what you want/need.

But I did offer my best assistance in your posts. ;)

16. Feb 25, 2009 at 2:11 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Sounds like you should have bought a Tundra then :thumbsup:

:rolleyes:

17. Feb 25, 2009 at 2:45 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Hmm....the DC comes in a long bed option which is 73.5in, same as the regular cab standard bed. Sounds like your compromise was with a 4 banger instead of the V6.

18. Feb 25, 2009 at 5:04 AM
    09 tacoma trd

09 tacoma trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    ontario, canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 black tacoma dbl cab trd sport
    don't even think about it. 4x4 all the way. it's a truck not a car.

19. Feb 25, 2009 at 5:45 AM
    Rich8419

Rich8419 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2009 Dbl Cab Short Bed Offroad Pkg
    weathertech floor liners, scan guage, gatekeeper
    Think about the places you do all these things and how often you do it. I fish a lot but don't camp or hunt so the prerunner makes sense. However, since you mentioned hunting and trail riding I would go with the 4x4.

Products Discussed in

To Top