Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Having ahard time.....

Old 02-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
BBQ BOY has a spectacular aura aboutBBQ BOY has a spectacular aura aboutBBQ BOY has a spectacular aura about

BBQ BOY's Tacoma Gallery
Having ahard time.....

trying to decide whether to get 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive. I have always had 4 wheel drive trucks but never have had a Toyota truck. I do plan on going off road but don't like to play in mud. I will if I have too though. In my are athere seems to be a limited supply of Tacomas. Must be the economy. I think I want a long bed bu there are only 2 in my area and they are 2 wheel drive. As a matter of fact 4x4 Tacomas are hard to come by. Anyway are these truck very capable in 2 wheel drive? If I get a 2 wheel shouild I just install a winch?
What I plan on doing with this truck are: fishing, hunting, camping. towing my boat and trail riding.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
4x4... you'll eventually regret the 2wd by the looks of it...
Old 02-24-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
4x4! I compomised by getting the 4x4 with the 2.7L 4 banger. I didnt get the double cab because I still wanted a truck with an actual bed
Old 02-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
BBQ BOY has a spectacular aura aboutBBQ BOY has a spectacular aura aboutBBQ BOY has a spectacular aura about

BBQ BOY's Tacoma Gallery
I talked with a fella tonight who has a 2 wheel drive and he said a buddy of his has the same truck in 4x4 and he gets 4 mpg less.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
Marazzito will become famous soon enough

Marazzito's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marazzito Send a message via Yahoo to Marazzito
I would get the 4x4 if you plan to do Off-Roading. If you go with a Prerunner, get the TRD Off-Road package, the locker will make a 2 wheel drive act more like a 4 wheel drive Off-Road. Initial cost of a Prerunner with the TRD Off-Road package will be about the same a a 4x4 SR5 with out the Off-Road package. However, you will get a better suspension and I think a nicer looking interior, plus you will be saving MPG's with a 4x2.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
go with 4x4........................better to have and not need it then to need it and not have it!! and by the sounds of it......you will want one at some point.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
4x4

I love my Prerunner, but if I was gonna do it all over again, I'd go with 4x4.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
1 man wolf pack
Hardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Evan
Hardcorehehaw's Tacoma Gallery
I was in your position a week or two ago, I've always had 4x4. In the 3 years I owned my last truck I locked it in 4wd maybe 2 or 3 times.

As the old saying goes it's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

I just got my Prerunner a few days ago and was almost regretting not getting 4wd, but honestly, I'll probably never need it because I won't go out looking for trouble.

I don't think a 4x4 will get 4mpg less, but it will definitely do worse than a 2wd and it will cost more to purchase initially. You just have to weigh out the pros and cons. If you can afford it, I say get it, 1 or 2mpg isn't really that big of a deal, right?
Old 02-24-2009, 08:30 PM   #10
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
I would say 4x4 because you rarely hear anybody say they wish their 4x4 was a 4x2. But you do hear about the other way around. (wish my 4x2 was a 4x4)
Old 02-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #11
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Sit down and write the pros and cons of each truck. Take a hard look at what you really need. You are about to spend some money on a very good product. The product will not let you down. Go to other dealerships,even if its an hour drive away. Their are trucks out their. Get one that fits your needs. When I purchased the current truck I own,I looked for over a month into it. I went to 5 different dealerships until I found what was right for my particular situation. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:04 PM   #12
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Get the 4WD.

If you have any reason at all to use 4WD, then get it.

Offroading in 2WD is fine but 4WD till take you even farther and alot more fun (depending on your type of wheelin). And obviously, if you're in the snow belt - definately get the 4WD.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:16 PM   #13
Redneck from the hills
cbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
cbcs1987's Tacoma Gallery
Trust me. I had a 2wd for a long time and I dont know how I made it without it. Now that I have 4wd I will never have another 2wd, unless its for puttin around town in.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:28 PM   #14
Desert Riding Ninja
A.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shedA.D. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Graphics Artist
A.D.'s Tacoma Gallery
4x4 is nice, i have one in my other truck and i have used it plenty, but thats because i know that when i am going to be playing in mud(which is seldom) i am going to need it. I also have a Pre-Runner Taco, and i love this truck, its a TRD Off Road package, that has seen good times off road, but i use it for mainly dirt trails, some small beaches, and dry lake beds, i have never gotten myself into a situation where i needed 4x4 in my Taco, and have found that i rarely ever lock the rear end. I don't wish my Taco was 4x4, cuz what i bought it for is what i use it for, carrying around gear, daily driver, and looking good, LOL. If you feel that you will need 4x4, get it, but if its only a very small chance that you will ever use the 4x4, don't. You will almost never go offroading by yourself, and its something to drink beers about afterwards if you had to get pulled out by one of your buddies. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:28 AM   #15
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
It would probably be easier to give you more accurate information with more specific information on what you are looking for.

Are you buying new and willing to special order or are you buying used?

You said long bed, well only double cabs have a short/long bed option, access cabs and regualr cabs come with the standard bed. If you are concerned about gas mileage are you considering a V6 or the 4cyl, also manual or auto? That changes your options for bed size and cab configuration also. But you mentioned towing, so you are going to want the tow package and the V6, so that takes out your regular cab options.

So you should probably consider a 4x4, Double Cab, long bed, v6, auto...in either the base package, the trd offroad or just sr5 packages..if you go with a prerunner then get a trd offroad package for the locker.

You should probably make an attempt at using the Toyota.com build your own Tacoma since the options vary by region we can not provide you with accurate information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ BOY View Post
Ok let me rephrase. Too lazy. Why does Toyota make you go through 10 different steps for each color to figure it out. Toyota has the worse web site.
This is not going to get you very helpful information around here. I think you need to take the time it took you to make all your post asking for help and do some of your own research first then ask once you are narrowed down what you want/need.

But I did offer my best assistance in your posts.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:11 AM   #16
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
4x4! I compomised by getting the 4x4 with the 2.7L 4 banger. I didnt get the double cab because I still wanted a truck with an actual bed
Sounds like you should have bought a Tundra then

Old 02-25-2009, 03:45 AM   #17
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Hmm....the DC comes in a long bed option which is 73.5in, same as the regular cab standard bed. Sounds like your compromise was with a 4 banger instead of the V6.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:04 AM   #18
09 tacoma trd is on a distinguished road

09 tacoma trd's Tacoma Gallery
don't even think about it. 4x4 all the way. it's a truck not a car.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:45 AM   #19
Rich8419 is on a distinguished road
Rich8419's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ BOY View Post
What I plan on doing with this truck are: fishing, hunting, camping. towing my boat and trail riding.
Think about the places you do all these things and how often you do it. I fish a lot but don't camp or hunt so the prerunner makes sense. However, since you mentioned hunting and trail riding I would go with the 4x4.