1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Tacoma Wheel Options

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cp87, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Jun 11, 2013 at 9:11 PM
    cp87

cp87 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello All,

I've been stalking here for a while trying to check out prices for a new tacoma my wife and I are considering (read through the whole 2013 pricing thread). We have talked to a few dealers, just haven't completely made up our minds. This vehicle is for my wife, so I'm not sure if I am more proud to say "My wife wants a truck!" or sad that I'm not getting it myself (I had to buy a car for the gas mileage, I drive over 60 miles/day). But like I said I'm lucky to have a good wife who (while wants a new vehicle) wants a new truck.

I live in the DFW area and I've been looking at the SR5 Texas Edition, TRD Sport, or a regular SR5 with upgraded wheels (all prerunner double cab). We just can't handle the plain steel wheels. We like the Texas Edition but those are the priciest of the three options. TRD Sport is nice and we do like the wheels, but when you start adding extras, it really isn't much different than Texas edition in price (I prefer the TRD option but unfortunately we aren't buying solely on my tastes).

Per this forum, I've searched Costco as well as Edmunds. When considering the regular SR5, when I go to build one, there are two optional wheels to choose from. I can't seem to find a definitive photo of the two options:

$356 16" ALUMINUM WHEELS W/P245/75R16 TIRES
    $595 16" ALLOY WHEELS

I have a feeling I've seen pictures of both of these wheels somewhere I just can't find anything specifically stating, "these are the alloy wheels" or "these are the aluminum wheels."

I used the search function but after sifting through a few pages of threads I decided I might be better off specifically asking. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. Jun 11, 2013 at 9:38 PM
    focotacoma

focotacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    07 Speedway Blue 4x4 TRD off-road
    Im getting there......
    I think that may be a typo/mistake. I think they are saying aluminum wheels meaning the steelies (which retail around $150 a piece aftermarket) and are probably a cheap option (for the up-charge they may mean the steel wheels with these aluminum covers).
    https://www.google.com/search?q=tac...2FTOYOTA-TACOMA-CHROME-WHEEL%2FDetail;300;287

It could also mean another really ugly pair of alloy rims that usually they are only specd on i4 tacoma's that are 6 lugs and are only put on in certain areas (i think by the dealer). https://www.google.com/search?q=dea...-fj-cruiser-trd-wheels-installed-2%2F;640;480

The second alloy option is the wheels you see on most sr5's or Trd off-road's.
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...e3UdqSOoic8wTfvIDICw&ved=0CEwQ9QEwBQ&dur=1147

Hope this helps, basically if I understand what you want you should get the more expensive of the two options.

3. Jun 12, 2013 at 3:14 AM
    DunhamAll

DunhamAll Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '12 Access cab, MT, TRD OR
    Rear diff. breather, BHLM, Wet Okoles.
    You can often find the TRD wheels/tires combo in the BST forums for relativlely cheap. I'd say a goal would be $400. Also watch Craigslist albeit that runs a little pricier.

4. Jun 12, 2013 at 3:52 AM
    Marc702

Marc702 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    DC/PRERUNNER
    I'm not a fan of any factory wheels. But usually a new vehicle has very nice rubber.

Option......Buy the cheapest rim they have and make a visit to
    Discount/America's Tire. You can pick something pretty nice for $150.00 a piece and use the stock rubber.

Then Craigslist the factory rims, you're bound to get something for them.

I think it's a very reasonable way to go and you get to personalize it a little bit. That's what I did.

Just a thought.

Products Discussed in

To Top