Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tsb leaf spring for trd off road

Old 06-13-2013, 06:20 AM   #21
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
The Toyota springs, whether 3 or 4 leaf, are still weak. You just gain a little lift with the 4. They still sag, they still squeak, the only plus is they are free. I had it done way back when I was still under warranty and wished I had just gotten aftermarket.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #22
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDZR2 View Post
Complain and shop around. Some dealer will want the work. 3 leaf packs suck and my TRD OR is just as capable with the new 4 leaves i had done as one with 3. The Baja has 4 leaves and that is based on an OR.
Mine has 4 but needs a helper or 5. I started the process by complaining to customer service. I have helpers ready to install but the keepers will interfere. I am trying to decide if I should keep after Toyota or suck it up and install the helper. I may wait until my 5000 mile service and see what the dealer says.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #23
Deathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Deathproofduck's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure if you can tell by my lousy photos, but mine are flat or close to it. I can really feel it when i am driving. I really want to do the COMPLETE OME SUSPENSION SYSTEM from wheelers as it comes with new Dakar leaf pack. It is time for my 15k service and i thought about asking the service dept. about a 4 leaf pack, but after reading this is sounds like a long shot? BTW the rack is less than 70lbs.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #24
kevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant future

kevinthefawker's Tacoma Gallery
^you could have the dealer do the tsb pack and then install the ome setup and sell those tsb leaf packs to someone who needs it
Old 06-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #25
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinthefawker View Post
^you could have the dealer do the tsb pack and then install the ome setup and sell those tsb leaf packs to someone who needs it
Not many will buy them... I gave mine away...
Old 06-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #26
posttogoogle is on a distinguished road
posttogoogle's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2013 Double cab TRD Off road. I pulled my 2500 lb camper with tongue weight 250 lbs to the beach for the first time with 4 people in the truck. I noticed when I got out for gas that the truck was squatting more than I thought it should with the load I had. I went over some speed bumps on the way to my destination at a slow speed and the suspension bottomed out. I took a look under the truck and I only had 1 inch clearance between the rubber bumper and the frame.

So I have been searching the net ever since and I didn't really find the whole story anywhere. I saw all the posts for the TSBs for previous model years but didn't see anything for the 2013. So I went to a local dealer with a large inventory Tacomas and took a look at the rear springs for the 2013 TRD Sport, Off Road, Baja, and SR5. All but the Off Road have the 4 leaf pack from the factory. All the Off Roads had the 3 leaf pack. I did see one stripped base model Prerunner that had the 3 leaf like the TRD off road.

I parked beside a TRD Sport and pushed on the corner of the rear bumper side by side and the TRD Sport with the 4 leaf spring was clearly stiffer and the rear bumper was about an inch higher.

So for some reason Toyota decided to put a 3 leaf softer suspension on the TRD Off Roads which is the exact opposite of what I would expect. I am guessing the TSB for the 4 leaf suspension isn't available for the 2013s because all but the Off Road come with the 4 leaf from the factory.

Now I am trying to decide if I want to try and get my springs changed under the drive line vibration TSB for the 2013s. How much difference does it make in the weight you can carry?

I checked the cargo capacity on the sticker of the TRD Sport and it is 100 lbs less than my Off Road. Given the difference I saw in the stiffness of the springs, I think it would be just the opposite in actual use.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #27
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by posttogoogle View Post
[...]
Now I am trying to decide if I want to try and get my springs changed under the drive line vibration TSB for the 2013s. How much difference does it make in the weight you can carry?
I have a 2012 OR and had a similar experience WRT weight capacity. You can see if your dealer will work with you and upgrade your truck to 4-leaf springs, but don't be surprised if they won't. The Wheeler HD pack Pete linked to should be an improvement, you can try another leaf pack or add-a-leaf (AAL), airbags are an option, or you can add some Timbren SES rubber springs in place of the bump stops. I added Timbrens to the stock springs and they definitely helped, but I'll be moving them to OME Dakar springs and dumping the stock springs. If you're considering lifting your truck, this may be the time to do it.

It's unfortunate that Toyota is still using weak rear springs on the Tacoma, but they've been doing it for years. There are plenty of TW posts on all of the options I mentioned, so look around and find the right solution for you.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #28
Horsebit
Grieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrieby54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
Grieby54's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by posttogoogle View Post
Do NOT do this. It will make your vibes worse and they replace it with a 3 leaf pack that doesn't change your capacity...
Old 06-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #29
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grieby54 View Post
Do NOT do this. It will make your vibes worse and they replace it with a 3 leaf pack that doesn't change your capacity...
Yeah, I wouldn't waste my time with it. Actually, I haven't returned to the dealer lot since purchase. I'm not interested in any of Toyota's possible fixes for weak springs. Look at it this way: The best Toyota will do is install their best OEM springs, and all of them suck. Why bother?
Old 06-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #31
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Toyota springs suck , don't waste your time
yep, I added Hellwig 550s. I should have measured the height to the hitch when I had my boat hooked up in the driveway but forgot.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #32
Richc2048 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Electronic Warfare Tech 3rd class (former)
Name: Richard
Richc2048's Tacoma Gallery
I am going to my dealership Thursday for my 2013 dcsb TRD off road. I hope they can do something. I am 200lb and just sitting on the tailgate squats it a lot. Hope that's enough to convince them. If I want to put a shell on it, it'll bottom out with no load in the truck. That's not acceptable!
Old 09-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #33
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
My suggestion is if you are planning on driving near the gvwr a lot. Get some better springs. I've had a off road with 3 leaf pack and a sport with 4 leaf pack. Neither will handle 1300lbs without riding on the overload spring an rubber bumpers. Tacoma springs don't have a big arch to them. Mine are almost flat and its only a month old.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreem View Post
My suggestion is if you are planning on driving near the gvwr a lot. Get some better springs. I've had a off road with 3 leaf pack and a sport with 4 leaf pack. Neither will handle 1300lbs without riding on the overload spring an rubber bumpers. Tacoma springs don't have a big arch to them. Mine are almost flat and its only a month old.
I don't expect them to haul much. Just more than my fat butt without squatting. I want to put a shell on it but if it makes it sag from just 200, I want to see if they can correct that.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #35
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
Probably will still squat some with either leaf springs. Thats normal though. My dakota sags some with just a ranch shell on it.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #36
Good to know. I was hoping it would not sag for at least 500lb. Oh we'll. still trying to get them. If they're better... Hey, got to at least try right. It's a 2013.