Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Pop n' Lock broken and tailgate won't open

Old 06-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
60% of the time it works every time
Hollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hollywood22's Tacoma Gallery
Pop n' Lock broken and tailgate won't open

I could use a little help. I installed a pop n' lock back in 09. It ceased after the first winter but I left it installed, as it was still opening and closing fine.

It would appear now that the mechanism inside has broken. When I try to open it, the handle/latch moves up and down, but I can tell by how easy it is to move that the mechanism has broken off inside.

Would any be able to give advise on how to get the tailgate open so that I can replace it with the factory latch? I use it every day and it will be a serious pain in the ass if I can't fix it promptly.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
SAY MY NAME
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood22 View Post
I could use a little help. I installed a pop n' lock back in 09. It ceased after the first winter but I left it installed, as it was still opening and closing fine.

It would appear now that the mechanism inside has broken. When I try to open it, the handle/latch moves up and down, but I can tell by how easy it is to move that the mechanism has broken off inside.

Would any be able to give advise on how to get the tailgate open so that I can replace it with the factory latch? I use it every day and it will be a serious pain in the ass if I can't fix it promptly.

Any help would be appreciated.
You say the handle feels easy to move up and down. That sounds more like your handle internally has broken. If the pop n lock had become loose and moved over to the lock side your handle wouldn't move.

Either way that sucks. Can you get to the bolts that hold the tailgate cover on without dropping the tailgate? In not around my truck at the moment to look.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
SAY MY NAME
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
I just looked at mine. You can get to the torx bolts with the gate closed. Take them out and pull the cover up and you will have access to the parts.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Hollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHollywood22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
You say the handle feels easy to move up and down. That sounds more like your handle internally has broken. If the pop n lock had become loose and moved over to the lock side your handle wouldn't move.

Either way that sucks. Can you get to the bolts that hold the tailgate cover on without dropping the tailgate? In not around my truck at the moment to look.

Ya, absolutely the latch is broken internally....there isn't any resistance when trying to move the latch....I will look to see if I can remove the bolts....I'm not so sure I can get the cover off when it is closed. What a serious pain!!
Old 06-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
sdoheny will become famous soon enough

Name: Seth
sdoheny's Tacoma Gallery
POP AND LOCK

This happened to my 2012. The tailgate was up and the handle moved freely, but obviously something was disconnected inside. I popped off the top plastic piece and unscrewed all the torx screws. Took the back panel off and saw that one of the latching mechanisms had disconnected( not the two main ones). Reconnected it and put it all back together, no problems since. You should be able to get the back off and reconnect what ever disconnected. Let me know how it turns out.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
I just looked at mine. You can get to the torx bolts with the gate closed. Take them out and pull the cover up and you will have access to the parts.
Awesome thanks for the help...I will try that and post the results....Appreciate the help
Just have to get my hands on the right bits.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoheny View Post
This happened to my 2012. The tailgate was up and the handle moved freely, but obviously something was disconnected inside. I popped off the top plastic piece and unscrewed all the torx screws. Took the back panel off and saw that one of the latching mechanisms had disconnected( not the two main ones). Reconnected it and put it all back together, no problems since. You should be able to get the back off and reconnect what ever disconnected. Let me know how it turns out.

Will do...I'll be able to get at it tomorrow....will definitely let you know....appreciate the help....The members on this sight have always saved me. Cheers.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...
WHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vance
WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
If your truck doesn't have a tonneau cover or canopy, just unbolt the inside cover and work the mechanism to get it open. If you do, I remember there was a "how to" on getting it open in the installation instructions if this should happen, but I can't find it online and my instructions are nowhere near me right now...
Old 06-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
surfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed
surfrat's Tacoma Gallery
just take the top plastic cover off the tailgate. you will see an access hole on top. Stick a screwdriver directly down straight where you see the rods attaches.. push down on the lever..talgain will open right up. same thing happend to me. the plastic lever on the pop and lock broke..
Old 06-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #10

Thanks guys for the help. Seems like this is a common theme with the pop n lock. Can't say I will get another one. Just wish there was a better way of locking the bed.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
This is how I've always done it...

http://youtu.be/WEYMaSoXQUM
Old 06-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
dtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant futuredtopgun515 has a brilliant future

Name: Darrell
dtopgun515's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBound View Post
This is how I've always done it...

http://youtu.be/WEYMaSoXQUM
Exact thought I had!
Old 06-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood22 View Post
Thanks guys for the help. Seems like this is a common theme with the pop n lock. Can't say I will get another one. Just wish there was a better way of locking the bed.
I don't remember where I saw it, but there was a set of instructions on how to open a failed Pop n Lock, and it involved cutting the handle. In that same set of instructions, Pop N Lock stated they would replace the handle with an updated one. They know they have an issue with the earlier handles. Call them before doing anything else.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #14

So I finally got around to fixing my tailgate. Thanks for all of the advice. It was quite easy getting it open.

Like suggested, I unscrewed the screws on the inside of the tailgate. This allowed me to take off the top portion of plastic at the top of the gate.

This exposed several holes at the top of the tailgate. I then used a long piece of metal and pushed down on the mechanism forcing it to open.

Sadly I may need to get another pop n lock as the factory handle I kept doesn't seem to have all the pieces. Hopefully they will have improved on their product.

On a side note, have any of you rust proofed the inside of your tailgate when you had it opened?

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
littleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
littleblue81's Tacoma Gallery
What part was broken? It wasn't anything internal that got loose?

Mine malfunctioned today - after I locked it and came back later I was unable to unlock or open. I can turn the key almost 1/4 turn counter clock wise but not at all clockwise and the handle has no resistance when trying to open.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleblue81 View Post
What part was broken? It wasn't anything internal that got loose?

Mine malfunctioned today - after I locked it and came back later I was unable to unlock or open. I can turn the key almost 1/4 turn counter clock wise but not at all clockwise and the handle has no resistance when trying to open.
My lock had ceased after the first winter I had it. I can't speak to the locking portion of your problem. However if you are getting no resistance when pulling on the handle it could be something similar to my problem.

A little piece of plastic snapped off the inside of the handle. This piece of plastic pushes down on the locking mechanism causing it to open. With out that pressure from the piece of plastic on the inside of the handle your tailgate won't open.

I would suggest trying the same thing I did. Unscrew the top plastic plate from your tailgate. Once you get the top plate off try using a long piece of metal and push it down on the locking mechanism.

If it opens great!! If not your lock is stopping it from opening and maybe someone else can chime in with a suggestion.

Let us know how you made out.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #17
littleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittleblue81 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
littleblue81's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. It was user error. I recently installed a seal around the tail gate to try to keep dust out of the bed and the seal was causing the tailgate to no close fully by a few cm. After noticing that I pushed the tail gate in and jiggled the locking mechanism as well as the handle and it eventually corrected itself.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleblue81 View Post
Thanks. It was user error. I recently installed a seal around the tail gate to try to keep dust out of the bed and the seal was causing the tailgate to no close fully by a few cm. After noticing that I pushed the tail gate in and jiggled the locking mechanism as well as the handle and it eventually corrected itself.
Awesome!!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:25 AM   #19
Freezercat is on a distinguished road
Freezercat's Tacoma Gallery
Apologies for reviving an old thread but it's better to ask than my normal method of applying more force... I also am dealing with defective popnlock - tailgate is locked and key won't turn. Can I remove the plastic top cap off of the tailgate by removing the screws along the top of the plastic tailgate cover?

I started pushing the topcap but it wasn't budging and didn't want to break/scratch anything.

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezercat View Post
Apologies for reviving an old thread but it's better to ask than my normal method of applying more force... I also am dealing with defective popnlock - tailgate is locked and key won't turn. Can I remove the plastic top cap off of the tailgate by removing the screws along the top of the plastic tailgate cover?

I started pushing the topcap but it wasn't budging and didn't want to break/scratch anything.

Thanks!
You got it. Just remove the screws on the inside of your tailgate and you can pop the top ridge piece off. Unscrew all of them and you'll be able access the entire inside of the tailgate. Hope that helps. Good luck.