Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Truck hit while parked, what would you do?

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Let the insurance companies deal with it. 216 94.74%
Let them pay out of pocket. 12 5.26%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #22
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
You pay insurance for a reason...your rates won't go up and his insurance should end up paying your deductible. Take it to the best place you can to get it fixed and make sure it's done right. If hell take off once, he'll do it again when he thinks he can get away with it.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #23
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
IMO- You can't trust the person. They left the scene and then have flip-flopped on how to handle the issue. If they had been up front and honest about the whole thing, stayed around or left a note with contact info and then where like, "I got this"; than working with them might be worth the risk.

Go through the insurance.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #24
Specalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpecalt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Specalt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by C O R E View Post
I would say insurance x10000000 except for 1 drawback.

If you let insurance handle it, they will report it to carfax and your $1200 worth of damage fixed will end up costing you $3,000 depreciation on the carfax if you decide to sell or trade in your truck, but if you plan on keeping it then definitely use insurance.

With this Make sure you ask there insurance for Diminished value. Tell them exactly this.

This will be reported to carfax, as a result I will not get fair value for my vehicle WHEN I trade it in after it is fixed from this incident. (I am not sure I want to keep this car because of the accident). I would like you to cover the diminished value of my vehicle. Work with your insurance co to figure out what that value actually is.

Source I work for an Insurance co.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #25
Greytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: dave
Greytacoma1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specalt View Post
With this Make sure you ask there insurance for Diminished value. Tell them exactly this.

This will be reported to carfax, as a result I will not get fair value for my vehicle WHEN I trade it in after it is fixed from this incident. (I am not sure I want to keep this car because of the accident). I would like you to cover the diminished value of my vehicle. Work with your insurance co to figure out what that value actually is.

Source I work for an Insurance co.
Man...good info! I'll keep that in mind.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #27
ZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
ZMan2k2's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure of the type of collision, but if the truck is an auto, and it was pushed forward or back at all, the pin that locks the flywheel when in park could have been sheared off. This happened to my parents car a while ago. Their car was parked out front of the house, and a drunk hit the car, pushing it forward. We never thought of it, settled with insurance, and 6 months later, the transmission died. Turns out the pin sheared off, and as it spun around and rattled around in the bell housing, it got shavings in the torque converter, and seized it.

Definitely get insurance involved, and have the tranny looked at, just for that reason. I would worry about it.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #28
tacoman85 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Aircraft Structural Maintenance
Name: Erik
tacoman85's Tacoma Gallery
Attached Thumbnails
Truck hit while parked, what would you do?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371140997.346415.jpg  
Old 06-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #29
tacoman85 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Aircraft Structural Maintenance
Name: Erik
tacoman85's Tacoma Gallery
The same thing just happened to me on Sunday Truck hit while parked, what would you do?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371141159.483552.jpg
Old 06-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #30
Zarny is on a distinguished road

Name: Prem
Zarny's Tacoma Gallery
I know in Canada any fender bender on parking lot is 50/50 liability as far as insurance is concerned. That might mean higher insurance rates for both parties involved. Insurance might not tell you that, but they give some other bullish..t excuse for increase. Depending how high your deductible is you might foot the bill.

In example, I drove into the back of another truck damaging his fender for $1200. My ranger didn't even have scratch paint on tow hooks. The guy didn't want cash upfront, went insurance route and his deductible was $1000, so insurance covered only $200. I had no damage, no repair bill to pay, but my rates went up by $35 a month. Insurance explained themselves with increase in rates for all customers, just so happened at the same time. Go figure.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #31
2012tacolover will become famous soon enough2012tacolover will become famous soon enough

Name: Norm
2012tacolover's Tacoma Gallery
As much as it sucks to have a Carfax on your truck, the fact this person fled the scene, I would go with using Insurance and make sure his/her company knows they committed a hit and run! Make his premiums rise! Who knows how many others he has done this to and not returned to the scene? I hope you get all this resolved quickly!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #32
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by C O R E View Post
I would say insurance x10000000 except for 1 drawback.

If you let insurance handle it, they will report it to carfax and your $1200 worth of damage fixed will end up costing you $3,000 depreciation on the carfax if you decide to sell or trade in your truck, but if you plan on keeping it then definitely use insurance.
Though if he lives in a state that allows it he can get the depreciation out of the insurance company too. IE make Diminished value insurance claim.

http://www.learnvest.com/knowledge-c...surance-claim/

cypherian
Old 06-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #33
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman85 View Post
The same thing just happened to me on Sunday Attachment 217554

Your little fender bender looks like it might be an easy fix with a dentless repair place and a buffer.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #34
pickuptruckguy is on a distinguished road

Marines: 1997 - 2002 Sgt. 3rd MAW.
Name: Bill
pickuptruckguy's Tacoma Gallery
Guy seems flakey, use your insurance. Your rate may go up, it may not, either way, your involved now and the only control you have is to make sure your truck gets fixed. You take about 15 more images of that same spot. When the time comes for you to sell your truck and the accident comes up on carfax, you show them those 15 photos and don't sell your truck for a dime less than what its worth. These trucks don't last long, someone will buy it.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #35
I bring the feel goods
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickuptruckguy View Post
Guy seems flakey, use your insurance. Your rate may go up, it may not, either way, your involved now and the only control you have is to make sure your truck gets fixed. You take about 15 more images of that same spot. When the time comes for you to sell your truck and the accident comes up on carfax, you show them those 15 photos and don't sell your truck for a dime less than what its worth. These trucks don't last long, someone will buy it.
Why would op's rate go up if it was not his fault?

I would go through insurance, the person already flaked once. And pictures speak better than a carfax in some cases.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #36
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't really have to do with the OP's situation (It would have if the driver had not come back) but this is why I carry Uninsured Motorist on my policy. Had a guy hit the guy behind me and pushed him into my car a few years ago. The guy that started the accident (of course) didn't have insurance. My insurance adjuster came out, looked at the damage, and cut me a check right then and there. I told him where I wanted it fixed and he called them up for me and got everything taken care of. Premiums were not affected in any way.

On a side note. A friend of mine accidentally backed into the same car in the same spot at the station. I would have been happy to let him pay for the repairs so it wouldn't go on his insurance but he had a policy that allowed him up too $750 in damages before his insurance would be affected. I worked with them to keep it below $750 so we were both okay. Got my car fixed (again lol) and his insurance didn't go up.

Both times it showed up as a rear bumper respray on CarFax so the value of the car wasn't affected.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #37
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Insurance all the way. You know its gonna get taken care of.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #38
pklintworth is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
pklintworth's Tacoma Gallery
let the insurance handle it if they left the scene you serisouly think there gona pay the full amount
Old 06-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #39
pickuptruckguy is on a distinguished road

Marines: 1997 - 2002 Sgt. 3rd MAW.
Name: Bill
pickuptruckguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
Why would op's rate go up if it was not his fault?

I would go through insurance, the person already flaked once. And pictures speak better than a carfax in some cases.
you missed my point. I was trying to suggest that while it's possible his insurance might go up, a higher rate after this thing is settled shouldn't deter him from using his insurance to get the truck fixed now.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #40
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
Let your insurance take care of it. That's one on the services you pay for with your premiums. Hidden damage, your covered. not happy with the workmanship, your covered. The person who hit you doesn't pay, your covered.