Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Truck hit while parked, what would you do?

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Let the insurance companies deal with it. 216 94.74%
Let them pay out of pocket. 12 5.26%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2013, 06:06 AM   #1
709GADE is a splendid one to behold709GADE is a splendid one to behold709GADE is a splendid one to behold709GADE is a splendid one to behold709GADE is a splendid one to behold709GADE is a splendid one to behold709GADE is a splendid one to behold

709GADE's Tacoma Gallery
Question Truck hit while parked, what would you do?

Truck was hit while parked/unoccupied, person that hit my truck left the scene, incident was witnessed and police were called, collision report filed, person who hit my truck came back to the scene about 1/2 hr later. Estimate of $1212 in damages to my truck. They initially wanted to pay for the repairs themselves, then changed their mind and wanted to go through insurance when I mentioned I need a rental car and then changed their mind another time and now wants to pay for it themselves. My insurance company advised me I should just probably let our insurance companies deal with it to minimize any risk to me. What would you do?
Old 06-13-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
Deercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Deercantseeme's Tacoma Gallery
100% let insurance deal with it. That way you know for sure it's gonna be paid for.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deercantseeme View Post
100% let insurance deal with it. That way you know for sure it's gonna be paid for.
x10000 dont trust anyone, bad enough they left the scene.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #4
slowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Retired
Name: Mike
slowmachine's Tacoma Gallery
If you are doing the repairs yourself, it may be more attractive to take the cash. For all other options, I would use the insurance. If more damage is discovered in the course of (or after) the repair, the insurance will cover it.

Mike
Old 06-13-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
Christian Off Road Engineering
C O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clint
C O R E's Tacoma Gallery
I would say insurance x10000000 except for 1 drawback.

If you let insurance handle it, they will report it to carfax and your $1200 worth of damage fixed will end up costing you $3,000 depreciation on the carfax if you decide to sell or trade in your truck, but if you plan on keeping it then definitely use insurance.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:21 AM   #7
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on the damage. If it was damage that was purely cosmetic, I'd take the $1200 and buy some upgrades for the truck. If its damage that's going to rust, cause drivability issues, etc. I would go through insurance then you get a rental, know the work is done right, and you won't get screwed.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:32 AM   #8
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by C O R E View Post
I would say insurance x10000000 except for 1 drawback.

If you let insurance handle it, they will report it to carfax and your $1200 worth of damage fixed will end up costing you $3,000 depreciation on the carfax if you decide to sell or trade in your truck, but if you plan on keeping it then definitely use insurance.
In this state, if you're not at fault, you will be paid loss of value too.... check your state's insurance laws.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #9
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Since you aren't me, I'll give my advice anyway. Depending on the damage, let them give you cash, spend it on mods or put it on the principal. If they can't come up with at least 70% of the money on the spot, go with insurance, that's why you have it.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #10
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Depends on the damage. If it was damage that was purely cosmetic, I'd take the $1200 and buy some upgrades for the truck. If its damage that's going to rust, cause drivability issues, etc. I would go through insurance then you get a rental, know the work is done right, and you won't get screwed.
Agree. OP, got any pics of the damage?
Old 06-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #11
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Since you aren't me, I'll give my advice anyway. Depending on the damage, let them give you cash, spend it on mods or put it on the principal. If they can't come up with at least 70% of the money on the spot, go with insurance, that's why you have it.
I should read before I post
Old 06-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #12
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW- I watched a guy let go of a shopping cart and it ran right into the car I had at the time. The basket went right up over the hood as we all could not get there in time. We worked it out so that his homeowners insurance paid for my damage. About 1000 bucks.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #13
cheese'd out of my mind
Tuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tuckerhump's Tacoma Gallery
Let the insurance companies handle it. I tried to go through the route of letting them pay for themselves, and they ended up moving away shortly after hitting me and then the police couldnt even do much at that point.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #14
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
In years past just handling it privately would be easy and fair. In today's world of cutthroat and the current "Me, me, me" state of most people I would suggest let the insurance companies deal with it. Sometimes underlying frame damage or most ANY cab damage(Depending of course on the severity of the accident) can not show up on initial inspection. If you agree to take the $$ from the person, and them later on find out there is more damage, you will be VERY hard pressed to EVER get that extra money. It is not worth the risk anymore, no matter how tempting it would be to save some of the $$ for mods and such.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #15
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
The fact that they left the scene alone disqualifies letting them pay for it. Good that they returned but I still wouldn't trust them.

I had a fellow offer to pay me (it was clearly his fault) $50 for the damage he did backing into my car. Granted it was an old car but he bashed in the door so hard it wouldn't open anymore. Right..
Old 06-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #16
knayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
knayrb's Tacoma Gallery
Absolutely let the insurance companies deal with it. I have gone the route of private fix jobs and it's painful. You have a police report and hopefully noted that the other party left the scene. The fact that they left and didn't return until they new they were identified should be a clue on their integrity. There is nothing you will gain from going private. The only benefit will be to the other party and from their prior actions I wouldn't trust them.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #17
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on the damage. If it's just a front or rear bumper and you can take the cash, replace the parts with better aftermarket parts and do all the repairs yourself, take the cash and be done with it (if he can get the cash quickly, if he can't, go through insurance). If it's other body damage that will require parts get painted, let insurance handle it.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #18
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
Sadly no one is trustworthy. The guy has already flip flopped a few times, he is not worth the risk. Go with the insurance. Not all insurance companies report to CarFax, Its a private entity and not required by law. They have ZERO to gain by reporting to carfax.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:15 AM   #19
bigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 9SFS
Name: Jared
bigtaco06's Tacoma Gallery
I was the one 1 idiot who didn't read the thread opener and voted lol. If it was a CLOSE friend I would let them pay out of pocket to save their insurance on going up. If It was a hit and run type situation then dude felt bad and came back like you discribed I would definitely let insurance take care of my light weight.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #20
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
The fact that they left the scene alone disqualifies letting them pay for it.
^^^^This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
Sadly no one is trustworthy. The guy has already flip flopped a few times, he is not worth the risk.

^^^^And this.

Screw this guy. I wouldn't trust him any further than I could throw him. I hate people like that.

If you let the insurance companies handle it then it takes the risk out of your hands. His insurance (as has been stated) should give you "loss value" on your truck also.