Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Offroad or Sport - In terms of the Rear Diff

Old 02-25-2009, 04:44 AM   #1
Negative1 will become famous soon enough

Negative1's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Offroad or Sport - In terms of the Rear Diff

Since were shopping for a new truck, I really want the Offroad because of the extras like skid plates, rear diff lock.

3 Questions:

1.) What else does the Offroad model have that the Sport does not?

2.) On the offroad model, when the rear diff lock is not on, does it act like an open Diff? Or is it still a LSD?

3.) Can you engage and disengage the rear diff lock while driving, at any speed, or this something you should avoid for premature damage?

I'm just wondering for winter conditions, while driving if I need more traction in 2WD, if I can just push the rear diff lock on to help out.

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2009, 06:01 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
2) When the locker is not on - it's an open diff.

3) The locker (as equipped from the factory) can only be engaged while in 4lo range at 5mph (4WD trucks only). **there is a modification you can do to force the locker to engage in 4hi - but that is something you do on your own - and - not necessarily covered under warrantee if something breaks while using the locker in 4hi.

I'm not familiar with the PreRunner TRD Offroad - so I can't personally comment on that.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

3) The locker (as equipped from the factory) can only be engaged while in 4lo range at 5mph (4WD trucks only). **there is a modification you can do to force the locker to engage in 4hi - but that is something you do on your own - and - not necessarily covered under warrantee if something breaks while using the locker in 4hi.
So you only have 1 tire spinning no matter what when in 2WD, regardless of whether the locker button is engaged or not..

This sucks.... Your better off with a LSD for winter...
Old 02-25-2009, 06:14 AM   #4
I am the Sofa King
harshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

harshest's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative1 View Post
1.) What else does the Offroad model have that the Sport does not?
Toyota.com

Quote:
TRD Off-Road Extra Value Package (OC) - (cost savings of $950) -- Off-road-tuned suspension with Bilstein® shocks, locking rear differential, 16-in. alloy wheels with P265/70R16 BFGoodrich® Rugged Trail T/A tires, VSC [4] + A-TRAC (on 4x4 models, in place of standard VSC [4] +TRAC), Hill Start Assist Control (HAC) [5] and Downhill Assist Control (DAC) [5] (4x4 A/T models only), engine skid plate, front tow hook, 115V/400W deck power point, fog lamps, power mirrors (standard on Double Cab models), remote keyless entry, cruise control, variable-speed wipers, overhead console with compass and temperature gauge, chrome grille surround and rear bumper, color-keyed front bumper and overfenders, smoked headlamp trim, sliding rear window with privacy glass, sport seats with driver lumbar support and Sport fabric trim (in place of Standard bucket seats), metallic-tone instrument panel trim, leather steering wheel with audio controls, leather shifter (A/T models only), sunvisors with mirrors and extenders, backup camera [3] and auto dimming inside mirror with monitor, TRD Off-Road graphics
Quote:
TRD Sport Extra Value Package (PY) - (cost savings of $950) -- Sport suspension with Bilstein® shocks, 17-in. alloy wheels with P265/65R17 tires, hood scoop, color-keyed grille surround/bumpers/power mirrors (standard on Double Cab models)/door handles/overfenders, smoked headlamp trim, sliding rear window with privacy glass, 115V/400W deck power point, fog lamps, remote keyless entry, cruise control, variable-speed wipers, overhead console with compass and temperature gauge, Sport seats with driver lumbar support and Sport fabric trim (in place of standard bucket seats), metallic-tone instrument panel trim, leather steering wheel with audio controls, leather shifter (A/T models only), sunvisors with mirrors and extenders, backup camera [3] and auto-dimming inside mirror with monitor, TRD Sport graphics
Old 02-25-2009, 06:34 AM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Since were shopping for a new truck, I really want the Offroad because of the extras like skid plates, rear diff lock.

3 Questions:
1.) offroad has a plastic skid plate for the gas tank, lack of scooped hood, color matched everything, but has the rear lock which is king

2.) on the 09's only, when the rear locker is off, u can still use the auto lsd...its an open diff, but the auto lsd works

3.) everyone i've heard/seen know when to use it before they get to that point, so engage it at a stop

I'm just wondering for winter conditions, while driving if I need more traction in 2WD, if I can just push the rear diff lock on to help out.

and to this, u have vsc that will help out as well as the auto lsd when in 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshest View Post
Toyota.com
the options for the sport that u pulled are flawed b/c they dont mention the vsc+trac at all....or the auto lsd
Old 02-25-2009, 06:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
2.) on the 09's only, when the rear locker is off, u can still use the auto lsd...its an open diff, but the auto lsd works
This is why I asked, because I'm finding conflicting information...

So the Offroad model, has a LSD differential and is NOT an open Diff...

BTW, I'm talking about the 6Spd manual Offroad truck, if that makes any difference?
Old 02-25-2009, 07:05 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is why I asked, because I'm finding conflicting information...

So the Offroad model, has a LSD differential and is NOT an open Diff...

BTW, I'm talking about the 6Spd manual Offroad truck, if that makes any difference?
The Offroad model does NOT have the LSD differential.

There are two different types of LSD.

The 05-08 model trucks can be equipped with the mechanical LSD which is inside the differential.

The 09 trucks have an AUTO LSD which uses the brakes/ABS system to pulsate the brakes to stop the spinning tires. It has nothing to do with the differential.

The 05-08 trucks can't have both the mechanical LSD & locker at the same time.

The 09 trucks can have the AUTO LSD & the locker at the same time.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:40 AM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

The 05-08 model trucks can be equipped with the mechanical LSD which is inside the differential.

The 09 trucks have an AUTO LSD which uses the brakes/ABS system to pulsate the brakes to stop the spinning tires. It has nothing to do with the differential.

DING DING!!! janster is one smart chica!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #9
allpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

allpro's Tacoma Gallery
Don't forget that the Sport rear end is slightly bigger - 8.4 vs 8.0 on the Off-road. I've had both. The rear e-locker is nice, but after breaking 2 sets of gears I decided to go with the Sport this time around. The LSD works better than I thought it would but I'm getting a Detroit soon. Plus now I have a cool hood scoop!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
bmkshort is on a distinguished road
bmkshort's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

My 09 manual says the AUTO-LSD can only be used on 2WD models and 2WD mode on 4WD models. Pg. 176. I was curious as to their wording so
I checked it for myself and sure enough, it would only activate in 2WD.
I've only had this truck for a week now so I'm still learning.

As for the AUTO-LSD not having anything to do with the differential, you are correct as with the AUTO-LSD equipped trucks have an open conventional type of differential vs. the mechanical type that use springs and clutch paks to tranfer torque.

But, the AUTO LSD does work with the differential in the sense that it does this when the system detects wheel spin and applies brake pressure to that wheel. It forces the differential to transfer the torque to the other wheel. Its actually pretty ingenious. It allows the use of the traditional reliable (basically maint-free) open-type differential to be used. To better understand the physics behind the madness, it helps to have a good understanding of how differentials work to begin with. As far as the different ways Toyota uses the VSC,TRAC,and so forth, i'm still learning.

Here is an interseting link to a site that expains how differentials work.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential2.htm
Old 02-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #11
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro View Post
Don't forget that the Sport rear end is slightly bigger - 8.4 vs 8.0 on the Off-road. I've had both. The rear e-locker is nice, but after breaking 2 sets of gears I decided to go with the Sport this time around. The LSD works better than I thought it would but I'm getting a Detroit soon. Plus now I have a cool hood scoop!
It's Allpro!

Welcome to TW
Old 02-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #12
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
It's Allpro!

Welcome to TW
lol...no shit....must be john, sarah, or pepe....terry already has a login
Old 02-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #13
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
lol...no shit....must be john, sarah, or pepe....terry already has a login
lol... no shit... saw terry as a member a while ago...

welcome to post 1 of allpro...
Old 02-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #14
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
lol... no shit... saw terry as a member a while ago...

welcome to post 1 of allpro...
from the profile, i think the 08 DC is sarah...