Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Goodyear Duratrac or BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain for City Streets?

Old 06-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #21
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I like a stiff ride. It seems like I can "feel" the road better if that makes any sense.

I know plenty of guys who would hate the feel of E loads and 700# front springs, but to each their own. I love it.
I thought about the heavier set, but decided I didn't want that kind of ride. My Load C DuraTracs definitely have more sidewall flex and tread squirm than the stock tires. I'd hate the feel on something sporty, but it's acceptable to me on a truck.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #22
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I thought about the heavier set, but decided I didn't want that kind of ride. My Load C DuraTracs definitely have more sidewall flex and tread squirm than the stock tires. I'd hate the feel on something sporty, but it's acceptable to me on a truck.
I did the load range e.. because its all they make in my size.. and I love em!
Old 06-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #23
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My build isn't on here any longer but I think off of memory my 255's on SR5 steelies are 8# heavier per tire/wheel than my 265's on Sport OE aluminum's so that's not horrible. The main issue is the diameter change.... up hills on the highway OD is now useless. Luckily I live in the flattest state around so it's not a big deal. I also saw no real decrease in average tank mpg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
I did the load range e.. because its all they make in my size.. and I love em!

this....I had no choice in 255's and was worried I'd hate them, but luckily it's the opposite.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #24
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Towing was another reason I wanted to keep the weight and diameter closer to stock. I just got back from dragging my pop-up camper through the Rockies, and I made the right choice. If I lived where I could put 255/85-16 KM2 tires to use regularly, I'd probably try a set, but I don't. What I really need to change is my home address.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #25
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Towing was another reason I wanted to keep the weight and diameter closer to stock. I just got back from dragging my pop-up camper through the Rockies, and I made the right choice. If I lived where I could put 255/85-16 KM2 tires to use regularly, I'd probably try a set, but I don't. What I really need to change is my home address.

oh yea you would be screwed unless you had 410's

that's my move when I hit the lottery...along with some arb's front/rear
Old 06-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #26
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

dont forget a motor!
Old 06-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #27
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Duratrac is an all terrain tire vs BFG mud terrains.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #28

Quote:

That was my first tow trip with the truck. Working the 4/5 shift to keep the AT in locked-up overdrive seemed to help with fuel economy. The overall improvement in on-road ride quality with the DuraTracs was significant. A-TRAC/e-locker will probably do everything I ever need, but I've seen some of your photos - go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
Duratrac is an all terrain tire vs BFG mud terrains.
OP likes the look of the MT, so that may be a deciding factor. It's not how I choose tires, but it's their truck.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #29
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
dont forget a motor!
I haz new motor.... with wire harness and all the accessories

Just need to put it in one of these days

Quote:
That was my first tow trip with the truck. Working the 4/5 shift to keep the AT in locked-up overdrive seemed to help with fuel economy. The overall improvement in on-road ride quality with the DuraTracs was significant. A-TRAC/e-locker will probably do everything I ever need, but I've seen some of your photos - go for it.

OP likes the look of the MT, so that may be a deciding factor. It's not how
I choose tires, but it's their truck.

One day.... when I have time I'm broke. When I'm busy I have money. You know how it goes. Heck I spent my new motor money at least three times before I bought it. It's paid off now so the fight is getting easier. Now I just need to find me a sugar momma
Old 06-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #30

Quote:
I haz new motor.... with wire harness and all the accessories

Just need to put it in one of these days

One day.... when I have time I'm broke. When I'm busy I have money. You know how it goes. Heck I spent my new motor money at least three times before I bought it. It's paid off now so the fight is getting easier. Now I just need to find me a sugar momma
I thought the feds were giving out free food, phones, health care, and engines? What's the hold up?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #31
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I thought the feds were giving out free food, phones, health care, and engines? What's the hold up?
lack of a garage or an engine hoist is a start. if I had them it would be in like flint

gotta time it with my other buddys who spend every weekend wheeling, or with their families, or making money fabbing shit in their garages.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #32

Quote:
lack of a garage or an engine hoist is a start. if I had them it would be in like flint

gotta time it with my other buddys who spend every weekend wheeling, or with their families, or making money fabbing shit in their garages.
Can't help with the garage, but a friend has had good luck buying a Harbor Freight engine hoist on the few occasions he's needed one, then selling it for only a slight loss when he's done. He keeps them clean and unblemished, so it's an easy sell.

Where's our OP? I want to hear more about the KM2 plans.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #33
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Can't help with the garage, but a friend has had good luck buying a Harbor Freight engine hoist on the few occasions he's needed one, then selling it for only a slight loss when he's done. He keeps them clean and unblemished, so it's an easy sell.

Where's our OP? I want to hear more about the KM2 plans.
I have a few friends within block who have the hoists, knowledge, and garages. Just gotta link up wit them. Summer is a PITA to get stuff done.

I think the resident asshole scared him away

<<<---------------------------------
Old 06-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #34

I didn't see Pete here.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #35
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I didn't see Pete here.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #36
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
I love the look of my Duratracs but they seem less stable on the street at highway speeds. I am not sure if its bad alignment or what but the front end seems to wander and it began the moment the Duratracs were installed.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #37
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
I love the look of my Duratracs but they seem less stable on the street at highway speeds. I am not sure if its bad alignment or what but the front end seems to wander and it began the moment the Duratracs were installed.
They have a ton of sipes so they function great on snow but thus can lead to them feeling squishy
Old 06-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
Not sure what your alignment and suspension is like, but if you went from something like the OEM tires to a DuraTrac with nearly twice the tread depth and a taller sidewall, it'll cause a big change is road feel. FWIW, I'm still running the stock suspension set to OEM specs with DuraTracs, and I don't feel any wandering or other problems.

If you haven't had the truck aligned lately, that's a good place to start. If you've installed a lift, you probably won't want the truck adjusted to OEM specs.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #39
SAY MY NAME
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
I have the duratracs. About 7500 miles driven on them. They are good looking tires. As highway tires they are not so good. At 65-70 mph they are not as stable as the factory tires. They are 'loose' feeling at best. Constantly correcting the direction. They cup really quickly. I've been rotating every 2500 miles. Slightly noisey, but not horrible. The more miles the more noise they produce.

Great for off road and snow.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
I have the duratracs. About 7500 miles driven on them. They are good looking tires. As highway tires they are not so good. At 65-70 mph they are not as stable as the factory tires. They are 'loose' feeling at best. Constantly correcting the direction. They cup really quickly. I've been rotating every 2500 miles. Slightly noisey, but not horrible. The more miles the more noise they produce.

Great for off road and snow.
The factory tires have considerably less tread depth than the DuraTrac, or most any other LT tire. That, plus the taller sidewall most people end up choosing, will make them feel less stable than OEM, but again, I haven't felt any wandering or loose feeling.

Cupping or other wear problems may indicate a suspension problem. Are you sure your alignment is correct and/or you don't have some other suspension problem? If the tires are wearing unevenly, it'd be worth it to figure out the problem before it destroys them.