Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Goodyear Duratrac or BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain for City Streets?

Old 06-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #41
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
I have 10 k on mine.. No wandering or squisheness... Very solid.. High speeds as well.. Did a road trip through monfuckingtana.. Lots of high highway speeds there. Ive had lots of tires in my day.. These are my fav.. But do hum a bit. . Try adjusting your psi if your having issues.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #42
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Tire size, wheel offset and width, and other alignment factors can all attribute to different handling. I'd be hesitant to say it's the tire if you haven't had the same wheel, suspension, alignment set up with another tire of the same size.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:41 AM   #43
redmarble is on a distinguished road
redmarble's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you guys, for your comments. I appreciate your knowledge on this subject. My stock Rugged Terrains are crap. They slide on any surface. They are actually dangerous on wet roads. I have to replace two wheels and have decided to upgrade.

DoorDING... Thanks for the pics. Wheels are very attractive.

So, the MT's are not good on rain? This worries me. Don't want them to be like my rugged terrains.

Another option would be the BFGoodrich All-terrains T/A KO. Any comments on this tire?

Again, thanks to EVERYONE who has contributed!
Old 06-15-2013, 01:01 AM   #44
kevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant futurekevinthefawker has a brilliant future

kevinthefawker's Tacoma Gallery
I never had any issues with the bfg all terrians ran them on my last few trucks and they did the job quite well.

Never had any issues in rain snow sand mud and on road they are great. Just a tad on the heavy side I think I lost an average 1-2mpg
Old 06-15-2013, 01:07 AM   #45
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
IMO, If you are going for looks, wheel spacers will make more of a difference visually than MTs. Or get more aggressive wheels.
The change in stance will make a bigger difference to me anyway.

I love my duratracs, but haven't tried KM2s yet.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:45 AM   #47
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave Smith
elsenordave's Tacoma Gallery
I run my BFG KMs on the highway not loud at all the roof racks is louder...
Old 06-15-2013, 04:56 AM   #48
Plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
The factory tires have considerably less tread depth than the DuraTrac, or most any other LT tire. That, plus the taller sidewall most people end up choosing, will make them feel less stable than OEM, but again, I haven't felt any wandering or loose feeling.

Cupping or other wear problems may indicate a suspension problem. Are you sure your alignment is correct and/or you don't have some other suspension problem? If the tires are wearing unevenly, it'd be worth it to figure out the problem before it destroys them.
Yeah, I just want to give some insight to those that don't have them. I like the tires, but expect handling differences if you buy this type of tire.

My alignment is good except for my caster, which will make it wander. My issue is more with if you make an avoiding swerve at highway speeds or even turn hard you notice a big difference with handling.

The cupping that I'm getting is directional, not side to side. It's from acceleration on the rears. I was doing a lot of 'city' driving there for a while, so a lot of stop signs and red lights.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #49
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I liked my duratracs more than my bfg A/Ts but they were both good tires.

I don't like these firestone m/t's, great on road, great off road, terrible sidewalls.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #50
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsenordave View Post
I run my BFG KMs on the highway not loud at all the roof racks is louder...
... and the boost is loudest of all!
Old 06-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #51
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Not sure what your alignment and suspension is like, but if you went from something like the OEM tires to a DuraTrac with nearly twice the tread depth and a taller sidewall, it'll cause a big change is road feel. FWIW, I'm still running the stock suspension set to OEM specs with DuraTracs, and I don't feel any wandering or other problems.

If you haven't had the truck aligned lately, that's a good place to start. If you've installed a lift, you probably won't want the truck adjusted to OEM specs.

I havent had it aligned in 4 years.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #52
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
BFG KM2s are better overall off-road but Duratracs probably better on pavement. I'd get ATs if I were you, probably BFG TKO. Cheaper and will last much longer.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #53
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmarble View Post
Thank you guys, for your comments. I appreciate your knowledge on this subject. My stock Rugged Terrains are crap. They slide on any surface. They are actually dangerous on wet roads. I have to replace two wheels and have decided to upgrade.

So, the MT's are not good on rain? This worries me. Don't want them to be like my rugged terrains.

Another option would be the BFGoodrich All-terrains T/A KO. Any comments on this tire?

I have the BFG all terrains and love them. Great in rain and on the road. 90% of my driving is on road and highways. They're quiet enough around town, ride food, still look awesome when cleaned up, plenty aggressive off road, decent in mud.

Personal opinion, best all around tire. Duratrac's have similar reviews...they look more like a mud terrain as well.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #54
Raz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
Raz4back's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmarble View Post

If you are wanting an aggressive looking tire, but with better street manners, check int Mickey Thompson ATZs. I ran them on my 07 and IMO are a better tire (especially off road) than the BFG AT. The only reason that I'm not running them on my 12 is that I need something a little better in the thick mud we have here for hunting season.

They are on the expensive side, but worth the money. This pic is at 80k miles. Keep them rotated and they will last a long time.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #55
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorthyOpponent View Post
I have the BFG all terrains and love them. Great in rain and on the road. 90% of my driving is on road and highways. They're quiet enough around town, ride food, still look awesome when cleaned up, plenty aggressive off road, decent in mud.

Personal opinion, best all around tire. Duratrac's have similar reviews...they look more like a mud terrain as well.
Like you and others, I think an AT will be a better tire for the OP than an MT. The DuraTrac kind of bridges the classifications (iirc, TireRack considers them a "Commercial AT"), and there are several other popular AT options. MTs definitely have their place, but they're more at home off road than an AT.

Before I bought my ATs, a Jeep friend scoffed and said I needed a set of Goodyear MT/Rs because ... well, because they looked badass, and he didn't really know anything about the DuraTrac.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #56
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Duratracs are installed on every government pick up/SUV around here.

they clog up in da mud like crazy though

Old 06-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #58

You ever had bfg at's in mud? LOL
Old 06-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #59
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
same shit I would imagine

that's why I got KM2's now
Old 06-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #60
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Yeah...they can clog up in thick nasty sloppy mud, but a little wheel spin cleans them and they're not too bad...not a mud terrain, but its not designed to be.

Kinda like the people that complain that their summer highway tires don't do well in snow...