Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Goodyear Duratrac or BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain for City Streets?

Old 06-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
redmarble is on a distinguished road
redmarble's Tacoma Gallery
Goodyear Duratrac or BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain for City Streets?

Would I be better off getting Goodyear Duratracs or BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 tires for my truck? (265/75 16)

Please comment with Pros and Cons.

This is my commuter and will drive 95% on city roads. But, i really like the way the MTs look. I won't be lifting my stock 05 Tacoma Off-road truck.

Thank you, again.
Joey
Old 06-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
The KM2 will be heavier and louder than the DuraTrac. Unless you have the KM2 siped, it may not be good on packed snow and ice. If none of that bothers you, buy what looks better to you.

I've never owned the KM2, but I've read about them and heard them droning on the road. They look like a great tire, just not for everyone. I have a few thousand miles on a set of DuraTracs and I've been pleased on and off road.

More opinions in the Wheels & Tires section, too.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonnie
J88logue's Tacoma Gallery
Boggers.... best way to block out your wife/girlfriends in the truck when she is nagging in the city...
Old 06-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
duratrac, duratrac, duratrac
Old 06-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Loved my duratracs handled great on road and off. That being said my next tire will be the km2 in 255/85/16.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
bigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 9SFS
Name: Jared
bigtaco06's Tacoma Gallery
Either way you go your going to see a decline in gas mileage (not as bad but negligable with a duratrac). If thats not a concern and your buying for looks get KM2. Mean ass looking tire IMO. If thats what you want than go for it. I got 14-17 with a 3 inch lift and 285 Maxxis bighorns. Never had either so can't give you advice other than get what you want the first time.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
redmarble is on a distinguished road
redmarble's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
Loved my duratracs handled great on road and off. That being said my next tire will be the km2 in 255/85/16.

I have a question, why are you choosing the 255-85 16? Will this make the tire look "fatter" like a donut? I want this look on my wheels.

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tall, skinny tire. There are several threads on that size, and the reasoning behind it.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Neither .
Old 06-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmarble View Post
I have a question, why are you choosing the 255-85 16? Will this make the tire look "fatter" like a donut? I want this look on my wheels.

Thanks.
Click on my build link and you'll see pics of my truck with 285 duratracs. Like I said I loved the duratracs just gonna trying something new.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #13
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Neither .
The two are different enough that it's not a great matchup. What flavor of BFG are you running? Maybe that'd be another good option for the OP.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #14
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
duratracs look awesome on these trucks.. last a LONG time, are good in rain, dirt, snow, and on the street.. the mud terrains are good in mud..
Old 06-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
just got goodyear wrangler authority's

pretty nice tire and CHEAP IMHO.

a lil smaller shoulders than duratracs, but I like the tread face/footprint more than the duratracs.

just wish they could make these shoulder lugs bigger, but they serve no actual purpose for my uses, larger shoulder lugs just look nicer

load range C is a huge bonus for some of us
Old 06-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #16
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
duratracs look awesome on these trucks.. last a LONG time, are good in rain, dirt, snow, and on the street.. the mud terrains are good in mud..
redmarble, here are some photos of that size DuraTrac on my truck with stock wheels and at stock ride height.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #17
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
I have had both tires on seperate sets of wheels for a good deal of time and IMO the KM2's ride so much nicer on road in 255/85/16 E load than my 265/70/17 C load Duratracs ever did. I like the KM2 so much I initially bought them as a "wheeling only tire" and once I put them on I haven't gone back to my Duratracs in over a year (granted I haven't driven it in 6 months).....they feel so much stiffer and seem to hold corners better on road as long as it's not snowing, raining, or slick.

That's said I think anyone getting MT's who never offroads because they 'look cool' is just plain silly Most guys who know anything about trucks and off-roading can spot a mall crawler in minutes and believe me the last thing we do is tell them nice truck or give them props. It's actually the exact opposite and we bash all the useless bolts-ons and ask them when the last time they got it dirty was....or better yet have a girl we are with ask them, and when they stutter to answer, the chick tells them her trucks got more offroad balls as she walks away (that happened at the last offroad show I was at and boy did we all crack up).

Get a AT for better mpg, better practicality, longer wear, and in closing stop fronting. No one likes a fake
Old 06-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #18
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I have had both tires on seperate sets of wheels for a good deal of time and IMO the KM2's ride so much nicer on road in 255/85/16 E load than my 265/70/17 C load Duratracs ever did. I like the KM2 so much I initially bought them as a "wheeling only tire" and once I put them on I haven't gone back to my Duratracs in over a year (granted I haven't driven it in 6 months).....they feel so much stiffer and seem to hold corners better on road as long as it's not snowing, raining, or slick.

That's said I think anyone getting MT's who never offroads because they 'look cool' is just plain silly Most guys who know anything about trucks and off-roading can spot a mall crawler in minutes and believe me the last thing we do is tell them nice truck or give them props. It's actually the exact opposite and we bash all the useless bolts-ons and ask them when the last time they got it dirty was....or better yet have a girl we are with ask them, and when they stutter to answer, the chick tells them her trucks got more offroad balls as she walks away (that happened at the last offroad show I was at and boy did we all crack up).

Get a AT for better mpg, better practicality, longer wear, and in closing stop fronting. No one likes a fake
Interesting insight on the two WRT road manners, and good advice on the AT.

I don't see that many mall crawlers around town. We have a plague of diesel morons rorting and belching everywhere, so there's that.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #19
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
BFG AT KO is a great choice.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #20
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Interesting insight on the two WRT road manners, and good advice on the AT.

I don't see that many mall crawlers around town. We have a plague of diesel morons rorting and belching everywhere, so there's that.

I like a stiff ride. It seems like I can "feel" the road better if that makes any sense.

I know plenty of guys who would hate the feel of E loads and 700# front springs, but to each their own. I love it.