LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

maintenance required light

Old 06-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #41
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjayota View Post
I do have a question since I'm new to tacomas and this thread is already here. Is there anything else that this light comes on for?
No, the MAINTENANCE light is like a mile timer and will start flashing at 4500 miles and stay on at 5000. The OIL light is oil pressure and should never come on if things are working right, then you got your CHECK ENGINE light which means your shit ain't right and you have a problem.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #42
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacocowboy View Post
OK smartasses, I know all this already. Changed the oil Sunday, 3 days ago. Reset the light, and it still comes on. I've reset it 4 times now. Still flashing. Yes I read the manual. Going to a buddies shop today and hooking up his Genisis scan tool to see WTF is up.
Oh, really?

Quote:
The oil light has always come on telling me to change it. Not the maintenance light.
Why did you say this then?
Old 06-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #43
tacocowboy has a spectacular aura abouttacocowboy has a spectacular aura about

tacocowboy's Tacoma Gallery
My ecm needs a reflash. Its confusing input signals from various sensors. For instance engine off, and cold, its reading air intake temp at 130. And O2 sensors fluctuate their values as well. All with engine off. Even shows RPM to be at 1100. So call me a dumbass if you like, I've been doing this a long time. How many of you who attempted to burn me are actually in the automotive industry? (I know what the f-ing oil light is for) I just thought maybe someone on here with a brain had encountered this before. Instead I got a hunch of know it all jackasses looking to flame someone. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #44
IAFF Local 34 Professional FireFighters
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
You're welcome
Old 06-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #45
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave Smith
elsenordave's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
So this light came on this week and flashes every time I start my truck. No codes are present. Oil level is fine. Everything else looks good. Have 52K on the truck. WTF is this?
Quote:
My ecm needs a reflash. Its confusing input signals from various sensors. For instance engine off, and cold, its reading air intake temp at 130. And O2 sensors fluctuate their values as well. All with engine off. Even shows RPM to be at 1100. So call me a dumbass if you like, I've been doing this a long time. How many of you who attempted to burn me are actually in the automotive industry? (I know what the f-ing oil light is for) I just thought maybe someone on here with a brain had encountered this before. Instead I got a bunchof know it all jackasses looking to flame someone. Thanks for the help.
FTFY

I am in the auto service industry and I will ask my customers when they are unsure of "what a light is" to see if they have already identified the light in their manual and/or I'll have them describe to me what it looks like...and then I'll review it with them...

IMHO I would have posted a picture/video of the light and/or stated has anyone had their maintenance light come on and flash every time they start their rig other than when it's due for service...that way we the "flamers" & those "with a brain" would have known you were aware of what your "maint req" was and that this was something different...#i'mnotsayini'mjustsaying

El Jefe Dave of your friendly TacomaWorldFireDepartment
Old 06-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #46
Dog slave
Erik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
Erik65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OK smartasses, I know all this already. Changed the oil Sunday, 3 days ago. Reset the light, and it still comes on. I've reset it 4 times now. Still flashing. Yes I read the manual. Going to a buddies shop today and hooking up his Genisis scan tool to see WTF is up.
Sometimes the manual is incorrect (shocking I know). The manual in my truck said to shut off the engine with the odo displayed and then turn it on while holding the trip reset knob until the display zeros out and the light should clear. Well guess what my truck is set up to reset the service light from the trip A display. If you haven't sorted it yet try that.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #47
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik65 View Post
Sometimes the manual is incorrect (shocking I know). The manual in my truck said to shut off the engine with the odo displayed and then turn it on whil holding the trip rest knob until the display zeros out and the light should clear. Well guess what my truck is set up to reset the service light from the trip A display. If you haven't sorted it yet try that.
It changed the 11's and up are trip a that I have seen. Probably printed more manuals than trucks...
Old 06-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #48
Dog slave
Erik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
Erik65's Tacoma Gallery
^ that's funny your quote captured my original fat finger response with spelling omissions but my post is all corrected--time travel
Old 06-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #49
HaoleBilt

Quote:
^ that's funny your quote captured my original fat finger response with spelling omissions but my post is all corrected--time travel
What's fat finger I thoughts were talking about my cousin Manula
Old 06-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #50
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My ecm needs a reflash. Its confusing input signals from various sensors. For instance engine off, and cold, its reading air intake temp at 130. And O2 sensors fluctuate their values as well. All with engine off. Even shows RPM to be at 1100. So call me a dumbass if you like, I've been doing this a long time. How many of you who attempted to burn me are actually in the automotive industry? (I know what the f-ing oil light is for) I just thought maybe someone on here with a brain had encountered this before. Instead I got a hunch of know it all jackasses looking to flame someone. Thanks for the help.
I know, I'm a "jackass" for posting the most reasonable answer to your initial question and instructions following it up. Sorry for the inconvience. If I'd had known you were in the auto industry I wouldn't have said anything, of course you would have already known the answer to your question to. Btw the search button works wonders for finding out information and usually getting mad on here and showing your butt hurt don't work out too good.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #51
HaoleBilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunktaco View Post
Btw the search button works wonders
Old 06-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #52
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Your panties are in a wad Sparky.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:52 AM   #53
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
1.) Your ECM is not confusing sensor data. If it did the damn engine wouldn't even run.

2.) Nobody called you a Dumb ass. We just pointed out that your statements were wrong.

3.) How long have you been " Doing It ". I've been turning wrenches since I was 15 years old, I'm now 58. That would be about 43 years, with 19 years actually in the industry.

4. Well you know what the Oil light is for now since everyone let the cat out of the bag!

I do however hope you get your "issues" sorted out however. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:54 AM   #54

Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sometimes the manual is incorrect (shocking I know). The manual in my truck said to shut off the engine with the odo displayed and then turn it on while holding the trip reset knob until the display zeros out and the light should clear. Well guess what my truck is set up to reset the service light from the trip A display. If you haven't sorted it yet try that.

That was a mid year change, when the gauge cluster went from red to white.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:07 AM   #55
He's gone plaid!
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
1.) Your ECM is not confusing sensor data. If it did the damn engine wouldn't even run.

2.) Nobody called you a Dumb ass. We just pointed out that your statements were wrong.

3.) How long have you been " Doing It ". I've been turning wrenches since I was 15 years old, I'm now 58. That would be about 43 years, with 19 years actually in the industry.

4. Well you know what the Oil light is for now since everyone let the cat out of the bag!

I do however hope you get your "issues" sorted out however. Good luck.
Considering the OP's contributions to this thread, that was exceedingly kind. I suspect there's more to the story than we've seen, and I also hope the issue is resolved with a minimum of trouble. My first thought would be to check that the battery is in good condition, and to leave it disconnected overnight to see if that does the trick.

tacocowboy, asking for help by posting conflicting information and insulting people isn't a great way to start life on a forum.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:22 AM   #56

Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in a really forgiving mood tonight for some reason.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:34 AM   #57
He's gone plaid!
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I was going to say, "Try SCE to aux", but I didn't think that'd go over well.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #58
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
OP..hope it all works out.

but even you have to admit, your first few post on this thread were damn confusing..and contradicting.

good luck dude.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #59
IAFF Local 34 Professional FireFighters
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
but even you have to admit, your first few post on this thread were damn confusing..and contradicting.

Judging by his demeanor I'm going to say that he will not concede that fact.

Reference this post:

Quote:
I asked because the light has NEVER come on before. The oil light has always come on telling me to change it. Not the maintenance light.
^^^ This is a quote that means either he doesn't know what the hell he is talking about or lacks the ability to put his thoughts into words that we can understand. The OIL light never comes on "telling" me to change my oil.

No one called him any sort of name but we were just responding to the information that he gave us. He became butt hurt and lashed out at all of us calling us different names and assuming that none of us have worked in the auto industry. I have worked on vehicles since I worked for my grandfather in his machine shop when I was 14. I then went on to be the Service Manager at Saturn when they first started out for 2 years before I started the Fire Dept. Do I know everything?? Hell no. I've never claimed too which is why when I don't know something I rely you you guys and your knowledge base to get the answers that escape me.
All he had to say was that post (referenced above) was confusing and poorly worded. Instead he chose to revert to name calling like a little child with the assumption that no one but him has a clue how to work on the vehicle.

If you are so smart then why even ask the question since we are obviously not capable of giving you a answer to the poorly worded posts that you made?

Hope you get it figured out. I'll not help you though once you resorted to childish name calling. You're on your on slick

But as someone else has pointed out.... You picked a hell of a way to introduce yourself to the forum membership.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #60
He's gone plaid!

^^^ FU DB

Just trying to lighten things up. Does your keyboard ever get too slippy from all of the 303?