1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OBA Setup

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BillJC, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Jun 15, 2013 at 3:34 PM
    BillJC

BillJC [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Novato, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 White SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Ok, I've decided that it's time to finally start an OBA project of my own. I bought Firestone Ride Rites this week and before I get them installed, I'm already thinking about adding an air system to my truck to fill them.

I already have a Viair 300P that I keep in my toolbox for emergencies and am contemplating just hard mounting it in either the engine compartment or under the bed. I figured that since I already own this, it would be less expensive than buying another pump. Unless of course, someone will talk me out of doing this.

Should I just hard mount my 300P or should I just buy another compressor meant to be hard mounted? (Leaning towards an ARB if I go that direction.)

As for a tank, I just bought a Viair 2.5g tank that I'm planning on mounting under the bed and running airlines to one of the storage compartments in the bed.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  2. Jun 15, 2013 at 10:50 PM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
  3. Jun 16, 2013 at 8:28 AM
    BillJC

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Novato, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 White SR5 DCLB 4x4
    I didn't think about that. If I did use the 300P, could I use a remote filter assembly and mount it away from the engine compartment? I'm thinking that could help make it last longer. However, after seeing the picture above, I may mount it in one of the storage compartments in the bed instead.

Either that or just spring for new pump instead and sell the 300P.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  4. Jun 17, 2013 at 10:32 PM
    BillJC

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Novato, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 White SR5 DCLB 4x4
    I've been emailing with Viair customer service today trying to figure out what to do with my compressor. Other than add a check valve there really wasn't that much I needed to do to it to run with a tank. I asked if I would have any issues mounting it in the engine compartment and they said no. Just keep an eye on the filter like one would do on any compressor. Basic construction is the same for most compressors so it was just a matter of stripping the "P" pieces off and adding the check valve and I am good to go. Just thought I would share in case anyone else was contemplating it.

Products Discussed in

To Top