Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

sulfur smell

Old 02-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
redalert is on a distinguished road
redalert's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy sulfur smell

When I start my truck in the morning and go to work a half mile away and turn the truck offi get a sulfer (rotten egg) smell in the cab. My truck is a 06 access cab with the 4.0 automatic. I only warm up the truck for about 20 seconds. Any ideas on what this could be. I changed my cabin filter.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by redalert View Post
When I start my truck in the morning and go to work a half mile away and turn the truck offi get a sulfer (rotten egg) smell in the cab. My truck is a 06 access cab with the 4.0 automatic. I only warm up the truck for about 20 seconds. Any ideas on what this could be. I changed my cabin filter.

A sulfur smell is an indication of a failed cat. If you are smelling it in the cab, it also suggests an exhaust leak. Are you throwing any codes (cel)? If you have less than 80,000 miles on the truck, you cat would still be under warranty
Old 02-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
A sulfur smell is an indication of a failed cat. If you are smelling it in the cab, it also suggests an exhaust leak. Are you throwing any codes (cel)? If you have less than 80,000 miles on the truck, you cat would still be under warranty

I have about 55000 miles. No check engine light though.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
I was also told that they will smell like that when they have not fully heated up. However that was from the dealer so it was probably a lie.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
Rock Solid Toy
SilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordon
SilverSeven's Tacoma Gallery
definatly your cats..
Old 02-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
Should I try warming up the truck longer and see if that makes a difference
Old 02-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
Rock Solid Toy
SilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordon
SilverSeven's Tacoma Gallery
or just cut them out
Old 02-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Should I try warming up the truck longer and see if that makes a difference
Sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
or just cut them out
Nah, he is in cali.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Sure.

Nah, he is in cali.

Yeah that's a big no no here. So any other ideas of the possible cause of the smell? Cmon guys.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #10

Marines:
Quote:
Yeah that's a big no no here. So any other ideas of the possible cause of the smell? Cmon guys.
The smell comes from the cat's inability to catalyze the exhaust. About the only thing you can do, other than have the cats check, is try different octane gas, fill up at a different gass station assuming you use the same one all the time, or seafoam.

You get smog checked in cali right? If you can smell the sulfur now it will probably fail the test.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #11
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Your answer lies within your statement.. The engine is not getting up to normal operating temp on the 1/2 mi drive to work. Yeah they can put a new cat on at the dealer under warranty. But on a 1/2 mi trip the sympton will return in time.

Try this-- put some decent gas in it, drive the piss out of it to clean out the cats then evaluate next week.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:53 PM   #12
Ok I will try that. I will warm it up longer from now on too.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #13
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
damn.... I was just gonna say that's what San Diego smells like in the morning...
Old 02-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #14
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
now the cat has to get really hot to work, till hot it isn't doing that much

so you can actually get it clogged with unburnt crap

might take it out on a sunday drive for about a hour and up to temps and might cook the cat clean"?
all it would cost is the sas ;-D

x2

The cat doesn't do anything until the truck is up to operating temp. When cold, I'd start your truck up and give it about 30 seconds to idle, put it in gear and DRIVE. The faster you get the truck up to temp, its going to clean all the carbon and crap out. Then once you are at operating temp, put some foot into it! Lay into (get tha RPM's up), maybe go for that long drive...run a good half a tank through it!
Old 02-25-2009, 06:17 PM   #15
XC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shedXC4ME is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
XC4ME's Tacoma Gallery
I bought my '05 about six weeks ago. It had the sulfer smell issue also. The first week I had it I took it to the dealer and they replaced the cats under the 80,000 mile emission warranty and I haven't had the smell come back. I'm hoping this was the fix.