Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is there a mod to force OEM backup camera to stay on during drive?

Old 06-17-2013, 02:03 AM   #1
arasbm is on a distinguished road

Name: Aras
arasbm's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a mod to force OEM backup camera to stay on during drive?

Hi All,
I am wondering if there is a way to force the OEM camera to stay on while driving. This is for a 2012 double cab SR5 which has the backup screen embedded inside the rear view mirror. This would make the rear view mirror much more useful when carrying a large furniture, a slide in camper, or what have you, that would completely block the rear view.

I saw in another thread people discussing wiring up the backup camera, which made me think there must be a way to do it. I am just wondering if someone has done a mod, or can suggest a way to do this.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:36 AM   #2
Master Navigator/Zipper Operator
Germ is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Germ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by arasbm View Post
Hi All,
I am wondering if there is a way to force the OEM camera to stay on while driving. This is for a 2012 double cab SR5 which has the backup screen embedded inside the rear view mirror. This would make the rear view mirror much more useful when carrying a large furniture, a slide in camper, or what have you, that would completely block the rear view.

I saw in another thread people discussing wiring up the backup camera, which made me think there must be a way to do it. I am just wondering if someone has done a mod, or can suggest a way to do this.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ew-camera.html

Welcome and FYI the search function is amazing.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:05 AM   #3
bigef12 has a spectacular aura aboutbigef12 has a spectacular aura aboutbigef12 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Eric
bigef12's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome! Wealth of knowledge around here. Sift through the smart @$$ comments you'll get every time you ask a question and you'll get what you need.

Yes, search function works great. Takes time to get the feel of the site (especially if you're not a forum guy).
Old 06-17-2013, 04:18 AM   #4
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Just drive around in reverse.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:25 AM   #5
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
Just drive around in reverse.
X2
Old 06-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
arasbm is on a distinguished road

Name: Aras
arasbm's Tacoma Gallery
LOL! Why did I not think of driving in reverse ...

@Germ thanks for that link, that is exactly what I was looking for! Also thanks for mentioning the search, because I did not see it at all. I was using google site search before.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
Germ is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Germ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by arasbm View Post
LOL! Why did I not think of driving in reverse ...

@Germ thanks for that link, that is exactly what I was looking for! Also thanks for mentioning the search, because I did not see it at all. I was using google site search before.
No problem. Post up some pics when you get it finished.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
xspxtacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
xspxtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOHeHblIZ4k

got bored and did mines today, didnt like the switch showing so added my own little touch
Old 06-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xspxtacoma View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOHeHblIZ4k

got bored and did mines today, didnt like the switch showing so added my own little touch
i think this is worse then texting and driving.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #11

Germ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamamerica View Post
i think this is worse then texting and driving.
Seriously, how can you drive while listening to that crap?
Old 06-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
Marc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc702's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germ View Post
Seriously, how can you drive while listening to that crap?

How do you post that video and NOT expect to take heat for it?
Old 06-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Or lack of touch...Like lack of touching the wheel with either hand while shooting video and driving...
he is probably steering whit his knee. it’s not hard to do at all!! I do it almost any time i’m on the interstate. put the CC on and eat some beef jerky, or put a dip in you got do that.

also music sounds like dub step. but idk what song.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #14
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
he is probably steering whit his knee. itís not hard to do at all!! I do it almost any time iím on the interstate. put the CC on and eat some beef jerky, or put a dip in you got do that.

I'm guilty of this. It's not like my hands aren't right there, and it's easy to maintain control on a straight road. I can just grab it if I see some crazy guy swerving my direction.

But no I don't ever text and drive either way. Just do this if I want to relax while I'm cruising.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
Dang Quesadila is on a distinguished road
Dang Quesadila's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's not Dubstep...

http://youtu.be/B-fRo5kiZxI
Old 06-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #16
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
he is probably steering whit his knee. itís not hard to do at all!! I do it almost any time iím on the interstate. put the CC on and eat some beef jerky, or put a dip in you got do that.

Oh..I know exactly how it's done. Doesn't make it safe at all. Attention focused of the video, not the road and phone in hand, rooting around for the hidden switch...No better than texting and driving.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #17
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
I'm guilty of this. It's not like my hands aren't right there, and it's easy to maintain control on a straight road. I can just grab it if I see some crazy guy swerving my direction.

But no I don't ever text and drive either way. Just do this if I want to relax while I'm cruising.
yeah. also is easy when traffic is moving at like 10 or 20mph.

and X@ I donít text and drive. and also use my blue tooth most the time now since i got it at christmas time. I consider my self a good driver. 21 no wrecks at all of any kind. not even backing into a tree or anything. and no tickets of any kind, and have not been pulled over since i was 17. and that was because i bumped my head lights to where only my parking lights were on. (i had my frosty in my hand, and was is a at an intersection that is very well lighted up( when putting the turn signal on in the scion xb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang Quesadila View Post
It's not Dubstep...

http://youtu.be/B-fRo5kiZxI
oh.. wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Oh..I know exactly how it's done. Doesn't make it safe at all. Attention focused of the video, not the road and phone in hand, rooting around for the hidden switch...No better than texting and driving.
agree. itís not very save taking a video like that when driving, when it could have been done parked in the drive way.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #18
ShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
Name: Shawn
ShawnR's Tacoma Gallery
Did you notice he is driving without a helmet? Totally unsafe.
If only people would wear helmets while driving. If we only saved one life it would be worth it...