Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Air Bags Not going Off

Old 06-17-2013, 04:40 AM   #1
butch56 is on a distinguished road
butch56's Tacoma Gallery
Air Bags Not going Off

I have a 2012 Tacoma Acces cab. A young kid ran a stop sign and my truck is on its way to the body shop. I "T" bone him the nose of my truck is destroyed. My air bags did not go off. This is a problem has anyone else have or heard of this happening. All info would be helpfull.
Butch
Old 06-17-2013, 04:43 AM   #2
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
It takes a bit to deploy an air bag. I shot through a guardrail on interstate and rolled several times in my 08 and only deployed the driver side air bag. I was also in another wreck and ended up tagging another car and a rock wall about 55. It ripped the front drivers side axle out completely and destroyed the motor and no air bags deployed then whatsoever.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:18 AM   #3
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by butch56 View Post
I have a 2012 Tacoma Acces cab. A young kid ran a stop sign and my truck is on its way to the body shop. I "T" bone him the nose of my truck is destroyed. My air bags did not go off. This is a problem has anyone else have or heard of this happening. All info would be helpfull.
Butch
If you were alone, the passenger side airbag should not have gone off. The airbags, in general, are set off by an inertia sensor. Perhaps your accident did not cause you to slow in a short enough period of time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunktaco View Post
It takes a bit to deploy an air bag. I shot through a guardrail on interstate and rolled several times in my 08 and only deployed the driver side air bag. I was also in another wreck and ended up tagging another car and a rock wall about 55. It ripped the front drivers side axle out completely and destroyed the motor and no air bags deployed then whatsoever.
You should not be allowed to drive.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
If you were alone, the passenger side airbag should not have gone off. The airbags, in general, are set off by an inertia sensor. Perhaps your accident did not cause you to slow in a short enough period of time?

You should not be allowed to drive.
The 08 tacoma one was a tire blowing out (retread) the other one I got hit into another lane then a car then I went into a wall. Wasn't my fault.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:45 AM   #5
ChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
ChiefManyWrenches's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty sure that if nobody is in the passenger seat, that airbag will not blow. I had a front end collision with a tree in my '10 a few months ago and only the driver bag went off. The impact was ~35 mph.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
butch56's Tacoma Gallery
On impact his car turned 180 degrees around and I stoped in the middle of the intersection. I am sure I was doing at least 20 MPH
Old 06-17-2013, 06:09 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
On impact his car turned 180 degrees around and I stoped in the middle of the intersection. I am sure I was doing at least 20 MPH
But his car might have been light enough to where it didn't slow your truck quickly enough upon impact. When you say the front end of your truck was destroyed, keep in mind most of the front end is plastic bits and superficial. After you break all the plastic crap, then you get back to the frame of the truck and that's the damage you should be concerned about.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:15 AM   #8
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
These trucks are pretty robust, I doubt there was any more damage than cosmetics, at least you are okay.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:15 AM   #9
Fiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fiveology's Tacoma Gallery
Were you wearing your seatbelt?
Old 06-17-2013, 06:34 AM   #10
butch56's Tacoma Gallery
I am ok and was wearing a seat belt thank god. I am hoping that the damage is cosmetic. I do feel that the air bag should have deployed
Old 06-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am ok and was wearing a seat belt thank god. I am hoping that the damage is cosmetic. I do feel that the air bag should have deployed
If you walked away perfectly fine and are not injured in any way, why would you have wanted the air bags to deploy? Have you ever been slapped in the face by an air bag? It hurts like hell!
Old 06-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #12
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunktaco View Post
Sounds like you live up to your name..
Old 06-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
Sounds like you live up to your name..
Haha thanks I guess
Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #14
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OK here is how to figure it out:

do you have visible bruises from the accident and
from the seatbelt and shoulder strap ?

a) yes ?
airbags should have deployed, have system checked

b) no ?
don't be a puss, was not enough of an accident to matter

Old 06-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #15
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
I've run many wrecks where an airbag didn't deploy. I hate it when we pull up on scene and have to cut someone out of a car that the airbags didn't deploy. It seems there is no rhyme or reason as to why some do and some don't. It takes the right set of circumstances for them to go off and yours seemingly didn't meet that criteria.

It is extremely dangerous when one doesn't deploy for you and the Firefighters on scene.

I have been teaching auto extrication for the Fire Department for the last 10 years or so. The VERY first thing we do when we arrive on scene is disconnect the battery. The only problem with this is some vehicles are equipped with capacitors which can hold a charge for another 10 mins or so. Where you cut also plays a huge impact on airbag deployment. Those that have taken the cover off of their "A" pillar noticed the airbag sitting right there. That is why when we cut a "A" pillar we always cut it 2" from the cowling. It is almost a science and each model year they change something up. Now Ford even offers air bags in their seat belts
Old 06-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #16
butch56's Tacoma Gallery
I did not want to be hit with an air bag but I still would like to know that they will deploy if needed. How do you know that your air bag really work?
Old 06-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #17
Monkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud ofMonkeyboy has much to be proud of
Marines:
Monkeyboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Butch
The only way to know is to have the computer pulled and the logs analyzed by someone who knows what they are doing.

I can tell you that most cars these days only deploy the airbags in severe circumstances. This is for two reasons: One is reduce the risk of injury from the airbags themselves and to reduce the repair cost. The second - and this is important - is to keep the airbags for use in the event of a secondary collision.

Based on your description, I would bet that they airbags didn't deploy because the collision profile wasn't severe enough to warrant it. But as I say, only someone who can read the logs and evaluate the system can tell you if that was the case or if there was a malfunction.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #18
frankbmg is on a distinguished road
frankbmg's Tacoma Gallery
From the NHTSA,

Because air bag sensors measure deceleration, vehicle speed and damage are not good indicators of whether or not an air bag should have deployed. Occasionally, air bags can deploy due to the vehicleÕs undercarriage violently striking a low object protruding above the roadway surface. Despite the lack of visible front-end damage, high deceleration forces may occur in this type of crash, resulting in the deployment of the air bag.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #19
Manic Mechanic
Hugh Morron is a jewel in the roughHugh Morron is a jewel in the roughHugh Morron is a jewel in the rough

Name: Bill
Hugh Morron's Tacoma Gallery
Be glad that your air bag did not go off. First off it would cost thousands more to fix. Second I don't know how the Toyotas are but a lot of vehicles airbags are packed in a white powder to protect them from dry rot. When they go off it scatters the white powder throughout the vehicle. Almost impossible to completely clean from the interior. Most vehicles with airbag deployment get totaled.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #20
Token
Fluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Fluffymonkey's Tacoma Gallery
I had a recent experience with Toyota air bags. Hit a cow that ran into the highway at about 65mph. Mine deployed perfectly and was like hitting a big marshmallow when I was whipped forward. In your case, 20 mph might not have been enough force to deploy it, as it has to break through layers of fiberglass and plastic before it reaches those sensors. And as someone else said, it costs thousands more per airbag to replace after they've been deployed, not to mention replacing your steering wheel and dash where they explode through.