Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OEM Roof Rack Guidance

Old 06-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
RedDead will become famous soon enough
RedDead's Tacoma Gallery
OEM Roof Rack Guidance

Just wondering if any of you guys had experience with hauling a mattress while utilizing the oem stowaway roof rack? all i got is ratchet straps just wondering whats the best way to strap the mattress down securely..don't have the roof rack just yet i just ordered it so i really dont have a visual on how im gonna do this. i'm driving from NYC to MISSOURI...fml...
Old 06-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
What else are you going to have in the bed? Cap or no cap? Need more info to give any advice.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if I'd haul a mattress 1200 miles strapped to my roof. Is it a tempurpedic or one of those fancy ones that its actually worth hauling that distance? Or is it just a regular box spring and mattress that you can leave behind and buy new when you get there? I'd rent a U haul trailer and put my junk in there for moving before I'd kill my gas mileage or someone else by strapping something that big to catch the wind on my roof.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
I don't know if I'd haul a mattress 1200 miles strapped to my roof. Is it a tempurpedic or one of those fancy ones that its actually worth hauling that distance? Or is it just a regular box spring and mattress that you can leave behind and buy new when you get there? I'd rent a U haul trailer and put my junk in there for moving before I'd kill my gas mileage or someone else by strapping something that big to catch the wind on my roof.
^^^^ What he said
Old 06-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
x3
Old 06-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
That would be a sail.. like the others said..

I would assume you can just put the hooks straight on the rack, if your dead set on doing it..
Old 06-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
RedDead's Tacoma Gallery
i have a bestop camper on my bed and it will loaded with some other furniture. So what you guys are saying is im better off folding up the camper and placing the bed in there?

if it was up to me i would leave the bed but I'm moving my sister's furniture and shes pretty set on keeping it...don't ask me why?!?!

the trailer crossed my mind but i figured it would just kill my gas mileage more than a bed would
Old 06-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
Deuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Deuxdiesel's Tacoma Gallery
Assuming you get similar mileage to mine, it would cost about $100 extra in gas- may or may not be worth it, it's up to you. The bigger issue is how strong (or not strong) the racks are. They can hold the weight of the mattress, but the amount of lift and drag generated by a mattress (and box spring?) could easily rip the crossbars right out. You would need to tie it down front and rear to hold it in place.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDead View Post
i have a bestop camper on my bed and it will loaded with some other furniture. So what you guys are saying is im better off folding up the camper and placing the bed in there?

if it was up to me i would leave the bed but I'm moving my sister's furniture and shes pretty set on keeping it...don't ask me why?!?!

the trailer crossed my mind but i figured it would just kill my gas mileage more than a bed would
I think the bed on top of your truck would be worse for MPG. Add to that the safety factor and the trailer is looking like a good option to me. JMO
Old 06-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #10
slowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Retired
Name: Mike
slowmachine's Tacoma Gallery
Another recommendation for the trailer. Keeping the mattress clean and dry will be nearly impossible without a trailer. If you can't get to the destination without destroying it, it's not worth the effort and expense.

Mike
Old 06-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #11
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
IMHO, your sister should be footing the bill for your gas if you are putting wear and tear on your ride. BTW, it's easier to tow than it is to carry stuff on your roof. You will be changing the aerodynamics adding height, but the trailer will be in your slipstream.

Tell your sister to leave the fartsack behind and buy a new one when she arrives in Missouri, sounds like this is causing you a headache anyway. Good luck in your decision, but everyone here has given excellent advice against tying a bed on the roof.

I'd be all nerved up moving a bed in the fashion you want across town, let alone a move 10 states away!
Old 06-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
RedDead's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, thanks guys for the advice...i will be returning the roof rack back to the stealership(had to buy it from there due to availability and shipping dates).

my sister will be paying for all my gas...leaving wednesday morning for new york wish me luck.