1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"When" not "if" - Trail Damage

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Grieby54, Jun 17, 2013.

?

"When" or "If"?

1. Damage is a certainty - just be ready for it or stop wheeling

295 vote(s)
    69.7%
  2. If you're smart and don't push your truck, you can avoid damage

116 vote(s)
    27.4%
  3. Only idiots damage their truck when wheeling

12 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. Jun 17, 2013 at 12:27 PM
    ColoradoTaco

ColoradoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Boulder
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB OFFROAD
    :worthless:

Allways wanted to use this someone always beats me to it.

2. Jun 17, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    Seer

Seer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bayfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    13 Double Cab 4x4 stock
    Pinstriping and minor dents aren't damage, they're called character. I'm sure the OP's talking about trashed rocker panels, transmission pans, quarter panels and such.

3. Jun 17, 2013 at 12:36 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    You sir are on your way to more than Moderate Wheeling. :thumbsup:

4. Jun 17, 2013 at 12:40 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Maybe he's into extreme mall crawling :notsure: Curbs be tall at some malls...

5. Jun 17, 2013 at 12:41 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Bro-Coma time, maybe he could join the VA boys at the mall.

6. Jun 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    there are two kinds of drivers; those who had accidents and those who will have an accident.

also why did toyota put a switch in my tacoma to disable the side curtain airbags when i roll over. made for fun.

7. Jun 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM
    Swimmerboy2112

Swimmerboy2112 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Walnutport, PA
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD V6 5 Speed X-Cab
    Borla exhaust, K&N intake, ARB bumper, 16x8 Konig Countersteer Offroad wheels, 20% Tint
    You WILL have damage eventually. I was trying to be especially careful when I had my 86' 4Runner and managed to put a softball sized dent in the side thanks to a tree (tire slipped off a rock and that was WITH sliders). It will happen, that's why I really don't wheel my Taco, save the carnage for an already beat-up vehicle.

8. Jun 17, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    Grieby54

Grieby54 [OP] Horsebit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off Road 4x4 DCSB MGM JBL/Entune/Nav
    WeatherTech Digital Liners, ImMrYo rear view mirror bracket, color matched grille, Tacoma door sill protectors, OEM hood protector, clear bra, tint, OEM roof rack, trimmed front mud flaps to match rear clearance, debadged, color matched grille, Plasti Dipped front Toyota emblem, OME 884X coils with trim packer on driver's side, OME Nitro Sport 9000 shocks, Deaver/ToyTec AAL with OME N182 shocks, 265/75/16 Duratracs, ProComp 7032 16" wheels
    Pretty much. I've got a few scratches here and there from branches, and as long as I can buff it all out once a year, I don't mind that so much (though a pin stripe the length of the truck would probably call for immediate attention).

I'm thinking I'll stick with the moderate wheeling, but would like the sliders and skids for those "shit happens" moments :D

Bro. You never know what could go wrong when you're flexing it out on a curb or a rock on the median.

9. Jun 17, 2013 at 1:14 PM
    ChiefManyWrenches

ChiefManyWrenches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DCSB TRD Off Road 4WD
    It is kind of similar to the motorcycle mentality. It is not if you will ever crash it is when and how bad. Just be careful and be prepared to minimize the damage.

10. Jun 17, 2013 at 1:18 PM
    Grieby54

Grieby54 [OP] Horsebit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off Road 4x4 DCSB MGM JBL/Entune/Nav
    WeatherTech Digital Liners, ImMrYo rear view mirror bracket, color matched grille, Tacoma door sill protectors, OEM hood protector, clear bra, tint, OEM roof rack, trimmed front mud flaps to match rear clearance, debadged, color matched grille, Plasti Dipped front Toyota emblem, OME 884X coils with trim packer on driver's side, OME Nitro Sport 9000 shocks, Deaver/ToyTec AAL with OME N182 shocks, 265/75/16 Duratracs, ProComp 7032 16" wheels
    I've heard that saying as well, and in my many years of riding in big cities, I've never had any tip overs, let alone crashes. *knock on wood*

11. Jun 17, 2013 at 1:40 PM
    LoadedTaco

LoadedTaco Kick A$$ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    I chose "If you're smart and don't push your truck, you can avoid damage," but I don't consider pinstriping or small dents damage. Although it really is only a matter of time before something happens.

Here is my wheeling trip experience.

The first time I went wheeling 4/20/13 in my beautiful 2012 that had only been hand washed. Within the first 10 seconds I immediately questioned the entire act of wheeling. The trail was narrow and all I thought was "maybe I just wanted a mall crawler." At this point I already had the front bumper, winch, and sliders. As we drove through the first part of the trail I was having fun and was doing everything in my power to avoid as many trees limbs as possible... Then we got to the first obstacle. It was a small hill that the lifted FJ's I was with were barely not getting high centered. If someone had given me an easy button to take me and my truck out of the woods I might of hit it. Obviously, tightly holding onto my man card I drove over the hill and of course got high centered.

[​IMG]

I couldn't open my doors because the walls were in the way. There were tree branches everywhere and all I thought was "I just fu%^ed up my truck" I calmed down, climbed out the window, hooked up my winch to a tree and got off the hill. The sliders worked and everything was fine.

At this point I was having fun. The next hill same thing only this time I engaged my locker and was able to motor over the hill. From that point on I put down my purse and hit the hills with some speed. I just kind of slid over them without issue. We maneuvered our way through the rest of the trail and by the time we exited I was hooked on wheeling...

..just wait it gets bad...

After messing around in the SUV part of the off road park I started feeling a little cocky.

I had just driven through this obstacle and went off looking for the next obstacle.

http://youtu.be/8JBLOPTUAD8

I had already driven past a rutted out mud hole a 3 or 4 times before I finally decided "what the hell" it doesn't LOOK that deep.

I was wrong! I slowly crept into it to check the depth in 4 low locked, but it didn't matter. By the time my truck sank to the "Ohh SHIT" moment it was too late. I was stuck. I yelled over to my friends who hurried over to pull me out. At first there was no water in the truck and I was hoping and praying I had time. A few seconds later there was water filling up my floor mat.

[​IMG]

http://youtu.be/2bwTebdreZY

I thought I had destroyed my truck. After 48 hours of cleaning, pulling out my interior, and drying out everything I got super lucky. In my conclusion I will say that you will not have a showroom truck if you off-road, but you will truly appreciate what it is capable of. I drove my truck all over Moab Utah for the Rock Therapy event and let me tell you these trucks are freaking badass. Since the trip I have done the CMC, ordered new springs to compensate for all the weight I added and will be on 285's by the end of this week. I might has some "custom pinstriping" but it is better than not using my truck for what it is for. At the end of the summer I will have the truck detailed and attend to the scratches knowing full well that I will just create new ones.

Sorry this is so long, but I thought the OP might appreciate the story.

The trail from the first part of my story.
    http://youtu.be/mTXXJ8dbnR0

Friend hitting the mud hole I just got stuck in after me and also getting stuck.
    http://youtu.be/9bE9OoqARkU

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
    ecgreen likes this.
  12. Jun 17, 2013 at 1:51 PM
    Buckoma

Buckoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    Good for you. Shiny perfect Tacomas are SAD Tacomas because deep inside every one of them wants hardcore action.

13. Jun 17, 2013 at 2:00 PM
    Socalduckslayer

Socalduckslayer Pelfreybilt Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Diego, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma
    Odds and Ends
    Proper armor is key to keep damage "minimal" but wont always cover ya. I have yet to do any major damage to my current rig but it will happen. Here is a quick clip a bubby took in slomo that shows armor doing its job, just about every piece of armor used here and not one scratch where it hurts.

http://youtu.be/Fb3l4DWeb0U

14. Jun 17, 2013 at 2:15 PM
    LoadedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    You got that right. OP I have a Pelfreybilt bumper and skids and they saved my a$$ in Moab.

15. Jun 17, 2013 at 3:08 PM
    Marc702

Marc702 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    DC/PRERUNNER
    Excellent poll and thread.

Props to the OP and all the posters input.:thumbsup:

16. Jun 17, 2013 at 3:08 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    Made it all the way through Little John Bull, backed outta Big John Bull and took 3N16 back instead which broke me more than JB would have.

17. Jun 17, 2013 at 3:24 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It was a toss up between damage will happen and 'if you're smart' and I would've picked both.

Wheeled for 8 years with 96 Tacoma and 94 Wrangler.

I've seen more damage in other rigs than on my own. Don't be 'THAT GUY'.
    Wheel smart and expect the unexpected.

18. Jun 17, 2013 at 3:37 PM
    LoadedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    Well Said

19. Jun 17, 2013 at 5:05 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    This is the worst I have.

IMG_7748_zps9ed97562_47c1ae92096e87d7a59d8bd7b6ce5c4c276d22b3.jpg

Same spot. Eric's sliders took the hit.

3d3dfcd0_965df051d20a3339e91b5c14d6aca2957ec14f70.jpg
    f6475600_23bf2268912c1a7f368059ad3c3aa87ecd269f92.jpg

course I'm tired of beating up the Taco and it's not as capable as I want so I bought a land cruiser to build...

and I guess I didn't need to try and get my taco through there but you reach a point you want to wheel for real and shit happens

20. Jun 17, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    teamamerica

teamamerica Get off your horse and drink your milk.

Member:
    Wy
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    none yet
    you're gonna get some damage, i tried not to in my new '13 but i already have some decent pin striping. you can avoid most of it, but you will find yourself in a situation one day that you just cannot help it. it's like a racecar driver saying "can i drive a race car and not blow my motor"

EDIT: alot of this depends on what type of wheeling you do, and the area you live in though.

Products Discussed in

To Top