Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4.56 Re-gear First Impression

Old 06-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #21
Loco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Loco38SUP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
Why do u have 20 inch wheels and rocks sliders?
- because I like the best of both worlds.

In the summer I run 20's and wide street tires for the sporty feel and higher speeds.

And in the fall/winter I run 16's for my hunting trips in the back woods.

Plus it keeps the door dingers in check at work.

RJM
Old 06-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #22
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheadesw View Post
Thousand bucks a pumpkin, not bad... Any traction devices installed?
god forget that. id be trying to find a friend who knows what they are doin or something haha! thats just a ton of cash
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
4.56 for 32s?
x2 seems like a waste. should have gone to 4.88s and you would be set for 35s if you ever went that big
Old 06-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #23
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco38SUP View Post
- because I like the best of both worlds.

In the summer I run 20's and wide street tires for the sporty feel and higher speeds.

And in the fall/winter I run 16's for my hunting trips in the back woods.

Plus it keeps the door dingers in check at work.

RJM
Makes sense. Nice rig.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #24
SnowmanFX is on a distinguished road
SnowmanFX's Tacoma Gallery
I am seriously thinking of doing this. I can't stand that my RPM is at 1200 at 75mph and a slight hill and I downshift and then over compensate and the truck applies the brakes.

My old 1990 Toyota Pickup could hold 70mph with 35's and stock gears no problem.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #25
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowmanFX View Post
I am seriously thinking of doing this. I can't stand that my RPM is at 1200 at 75mph and a slight hill and I downshift and then over compensate and the truck applies the brakes.

My old 1990 Toyota Pickup could hold 70mph with 35's and stock gears no problem.
How is your RPMs at 1200 @ 75mph???
Old 06-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #26
Loco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowmanFX View Post

Do it, you will not be disappointed. Another benefit is that Im able to stop faster than before. When I let off the gas the engine helps slow the truck down.

RJM
Old 06-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #27
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco38SUP View Post
Do it, you will not be disappointed. Another benefit is that Im able to stop faster than before. When I let off the gas the engine helps slow the truck down.

RJM
So much wrong with that logic, but if that is what you want, great.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #28
SnowmanFX is on a distinguished road
SnowmanFX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gincoma View Post
How is your RPMs at 1200 @ 75mph???
Overdrive in the Automatic, It is extremely low so that it gets the stated MPG.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #29

* 500 mile update with pics, post #1.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #30
Mazzive is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
Mazzive's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd.... I want to see some mpg info
Old 10-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #31

Ok, guys here is an update with the mpg's:

-Gallons Miles MPG
12.327 184.5 14.96715
16.716 251.9 15.06939
15.112 235.4 15.57702
15.987 236.2 14.7745
15.897 221.3 13.92087

This mileage is all city driving with heavy footed acceleration which is how I normally drive. The last entry included towing my dirtbike trailer with 3 full size bikes.

As you can see the gas mileage is pretty much what it was before the gears. I honestly thought it would improve with the gears but I guess not.

I'm suspecting the stock ECU is compensating for the changes and that's what is giving me the crappy mileage. I might install a URD FTC unit to mess around with closed loop fuel ratios.

Overall I'm still happy with the performance gains and it was much cheaper than a supercharger with fuel mods.

RJM
Old 01-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #32
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Hey OP the price you paid $2183 for parts and labor, that seems like a pretty good price.

How long did they have your truck for?
Old 01-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #33
Quentin is a splendid one to beholdQuentin is a splendid one to beholdQuentin is a splendid one to beholdQuentin is a splendid one to beholdQuentin is a splendid one to beholdQuentin is a splendid one to beholdQuentin is a splendid one to behold
Quentin's Tacoma Gallery
I don't follow the logic of thinking that more aggressive gears would return better mileage. The reason Ford runs a 2.7 on the Mustang is because it allows them to claim 31mpg highway. When you get sporting gears, the mileage comes down quickly.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #34
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I don't follow the logic of thinking that more aggressive gears would return better mileage. The reason Ford runs a 2.7 on the Mustang is because it allows them to claim 31mpg highway. When you get sporting gears, the mileage comes down quickly.
The reason I am regearing is with 35" tires, I need a more aggressive gear to return me to the proper RPM at speed and brings it back to a stock feel. Plus it's easier on the trans because it has trouble choosing a gear at HWY Speeds.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #35
DaVikes is on a distinguished road
Name: Ross
DaVikes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I have 4.56's and 32.5" tires (GY Duratrac 285/70/17). The theory is that with lower gearing you use less gas pedal to get up to speed when you are driving around town. I agree with that, it feels like a V8. So if you are conservative, you can get about the same mileage around town as a stock truck. But you are still spinning heavier tires and wheels, and depending on how much heavier, mileage will suffer.

However, on the highway, RPMs will be up and mileage will suffer. I get about the same on the highway as around town, and about the same mpg as the OP. I would love a really tall overdrive.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:25 PM   #37
ramonortiz55 is a jewel in the roughramonortiz55 is a jewel in the roughramonortiz55 is a jewel in the roughramonortiz55 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Ramon
ramonortiz55's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm
Old 01-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #38

Update: I have a wide band gauge and piggy back ECU coming my way. I'm going to be running tests on the closed loop fuel profile. My thought is to tweak the closed loop system for better fuel economy and then tune the open loop for my URD exhaust.

Stay tuned.......

RJM
Old 01-17-2014, 09:41 PM   #39
Banned
Black Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Pipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Black Pipe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
Why do u have 20 inch wheels and rocks sliders?
Why do j00 have a picture of a Nissan pathfinder in your sig and you on TW?