Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4.56 Re-gear First Impression

Old 06-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
Loco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Loco38SUP's Tacoma Gallery
4.56 Re-gear First Impression

I finally took the plunge after being disappointed with the mpg & power loss when I went to 32" tires. My truck always felt slow and would constantly downshift while driving up the slightest incline. I would average about 250 miles per tank after calculating the 4.7% difference in tires. The stock 3.73 gears were severely under matched for anything but the pizza cutter P245/75R16 Dunlop’s that came with the truck.

I decided to go with Nitro 4.56 gears and dropped off the truck at Just Differentials in Cashmere WA. A day later I received a call from Carl Montoya that my truck was ready.

My first impression was "wow" what a difference. As soon as I put the truck in drive it felt like I was in 4 low. The response from the pedal input was great and the truck would come up to speed much faster than before. Also the problem of constant downshifting from hills went away.

I'm still going through the break in process so I haven't hit highway speeds but at 50 mph I'm at 1800 rpm. Also with my 275/65R16 winter tires I have on right now my speedometer is only half a mile off, at 50 mph my GPS is reading 50.5 mph.

Hopefully this info. helps people on the fence about re-gearing. Here are some shots of my stock 3.73 ring and pinion with only 15K miles.

* 500 Mile Update

I reached the 500 mile mark so it was time for the mandatory fluid change. The front diff fluid was just slightly darker than the new Amsoil 80w-90 that was put in when the gears were installed. The rear diff fluid was a different story; it was dark and smelled rancid. Both the front and rear drain plugs were coated with a thick layer of dark metal particles and a few shavings.

The break in schedule I followed were heat cycles of 15 miles with varied speed and nothing over 50 mph. After 15 miles I would stop and allow the rear diff to cool enough where I could keep my hand on it. The 500 miles were broken up over a 10 day period.

I still don't have any firm fuel mileage data but the preliminary numbers show an improvment. Now that I'm driving it normal I will go through a few gas tanks and then report back my findings.

Rear Diff Fluid

Metal shavings from both drain plugs

RJM
Old 06-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
Canadian Ambassador
garrettnb is on a distinguished road

Name: Garrett
garrettnb's Tacoma Gallery
What'd it run you all said and done? Did you buy the parts first?
Old 06-17-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
Loco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoco38SUP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The invoice total was $2183 not including WA State sales tax, this was for parts and labor. The price may seem a little steep but was completely worth every penny. The guys over at Just Differentials do top notch work and treat their customers right.

RJM
Old 06-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Thousand bucks a pumpkin, not bad... Any traction devices installed?
Old 06-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheadesw View Post
From the quotes I get and the general discussion around here that's about the going rate.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
DirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: USN Retired
Name: Terry
DirtEater's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds way steep to me, but maybe it's a Tacoma thing. I paid $1200 total for front and rear 4.10's on my CJ7 4 years ago.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheadesw View Post
No traction devices installed just the gears and master install kits.

RJM
Old 06-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
4.56 for 32s?
Old 06-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtEater View Post
Sounds way steep to me, but maybe it's a Tacoma thing. I paid $1200 total for front and rear 4.10's on my CJ7 4 years ago.
The Nitro pinion is beefier than standard gear sets so I think this is what drives the price also. Who installed the 4.10's in your jeep?

Old 06-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
4.56 for 32s?
That's right....I don't need no stinkin' supercharger.

RJM
Old 06-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
4.56 for 32s?
I was confused about that to.. If anything I would of done 4.10s with 32" tires but not my truck as long as OP is happy
Old 06-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #12
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
I can understand wanting the power out of it. Not too many daily drivers go over their ideal gear ratio for mileage reasons.

I my self am considering running mid-high 5's on 35's for power only
Old 06-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting to see what you end up getting for mileage.

These the wheels you re-geared for?

Old 06-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #14
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
4.56 for 32s?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gincoma View Post
I was confused about that to.. If anything I would of done 4.10s with 32" tires but not my truck as long as OP is happy
Local member here running 4.88s with stock 245s & a 4banger and he couldn't be happier.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #15
Reaper
09 Redneck is a jewel in the rough09 Redneck is a jewel in the rough09 Redneck is a jewel in the rough
09 Redneck's Tacoma Gallery
subed
Old 06-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregman View Post
Interesting to see what you end up getting for mileage.

These the wheels you re-geared for?
I have different wheels on now but the same tires. Those 20" wheels are heavy mothers, I'm sure all that unsprung weight didn't help my cause.

RJM
Old 06-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #17
DirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: USN Retired
Name: Terry
DirtEater's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco38SUP View Post
Who installed the 4.10's in your jeep?
Off Road Warehouse (ORW) in San Marcos, CA. I lived south of there in Poway at the time.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #18
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco38SUP View Post
I have different wheels on now but the same tires. Those 20" wheels are heavy mothers, I'm sure all that unsprung weight didn't help my cause.

RJM
Why do u have 20 inch wheels and rocks sliders?
Old 06-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #19
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
interesting

Old 06-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #20
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
i had them do my 4.88s earlier this year. couldn't be happier!