1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma or not to Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ktm138, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Jun 18, 2013 at 3:10 PM
    Ktm138

Ktm138 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello I would like to just start off saying that i am 17 and looking into getting a Tacoma for my first vehicle(if my funds permit). It look like the tacos have a lot of small problems( squeaking, interior materials, etc). I have not seen many threads that the motors, rear diff , or any of the major components are messing up. I don't want to spend all of this money on a truck that I'm going to have to fix all of these little problems. I would rather get different brand truck that doesn't have these minor problems instead of getting a Tacoma and having to spend a little money here and a little money there to fix the problems. So now I'm in a dilemma on my decision to get a Tacoma or to go with another vehicle?:confused:
    Please give me your two cents!

Thanks

2. Jun 18, 2013 at 3:16 PM
    WHPLSH3

WHPLSH3 Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Spruce Mica 6spd 4x4
    Build thread coming soon!
    Tacoma!

3. Jun 18, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    drunktaco

drunktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sage
    Southwest Va
    Icon ext travel C/O's, Total Chaos UCA's, King R/R shocks, All-Pro leaf pack, lights, RCI skid, Brute Force sliders, ect.
    Tacoma, it's a Toyota, it runs forever

4. Jun 18, 2013 at 3:20 PM

5.56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB Off Road
    Better to have little problems than the big, expensive ones. As someone who's had a handful of vehicles...they all have problems. Some are little, some are big. It's just part of vehicle ownership, and something you need to prepare yourself for, no matter what you pick.

5. Jun 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM
    delmandi

delmandi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Millington, TN
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport
    TRD Short Throw Shifter
    Just look around the area you live in and see how many toyotas you see that are old. Then look around and see how many of the other makes of old vehicles there are(and take note of the condition). I am pretty sure you will find more toyotas with more miles than the majority of other manufacturers. Even if you dont go with a tacoma, at least stick with a toyota. I doubt I will ever own anything else.

6. Jun 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    Ktm138 what are you expecting of a vehicle and are you talking new or used?

7. Jun 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM
    Island Cruiser

Island Cruiser TVita

Member:
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    Baja
    Get a Ford, then you'll come back

8. Jun 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Here's the thing man, yea there's little random issues, teeny squeaks or whistling or something...but ten years and 200k miles down the road when our Tacomas are still squeaking and whistling...the other trucks that have "nicer" amenities are going to be broken down rusted hulks. That we drive over. Or recycle.

9. Jun 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM
    TailDrag

TailDrag Well-Known Member

Member:
    Squeaks and questionable interior materials aren't exclusive to Tacoma's. The more you spend doesn't equate to less of either, either. I'd look at your budget, what you want out the car you buy (good mileage, good reliability? Or fun, fast, loud?), and find one you like. When you love a car, you end up loving the squeaks, too. So it's kind of a wash.

Also, you're on a Tacoma forum asking if you should get a Tacoma. It would seem like you DO want a Tacoma or you'd be on another forum asking another question about that specific vehicle.

So, pull the trigger if you can afford it. You're already sweatin' things that are negligible. Squeaks are nothing, and if you don't want plastic interiors, you'll be looking for something more "vintage."

10. Jun 18, 2013 at 3:26 PM
    michaelrussell

michaelrussell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    belleview,FL
    Vehicle:
    09 prerunner sr5 2.7 / 5 speed
    lots of stuff done more to do
    Tacoma know matter what you get all vehicals have their own little problems I've had 5 different trucks in the last 5 years and I can honestly say my tacoma has been by far the best

11. Jun 18, 2013 at 3:28 PM
    CASTRATE

CASTRATE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    SW of Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 SR5 6spd
  12. Jun 18, 2013 at 3:31 PM
    TailDrag

Member:
    Are you going to college after high school? There's more to think about than monthly payment if you're not working full time for a reasonable wage. Maintenance, insurance, and fuel costs should be considerations especially if you're going to be on a limited budget for the next 5 years, especially if you'll be financing for that same amount of time.

If you can't put money aside to cover possibly expensive repairs, tires, etc,. and keep a couple grand on reserve for those moments you might need that money to get going, then definitely re-evaluate your wants that you might not be able to afford, and consider things you can settle for that are more easily managed.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  13. Jun 18, 2013 at 3:31 PM
    Ktm138

Ktm138 [OP] New Member

Member:
    thank you all for the help! I was thinking about getting a used tacoma dc trd offroad 4x4 1 gen or 2 gen but they are both still a bit pricey! It looks like i might be getting a different vehicle but will eventually end up with a tacoma in the next 5 years. The weird thing is i know the basics of what i would do to my taco :D

14. Jun 18, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    TailDrag

Member:
    At 17 I'd buy something I can pay cash for that's in good shape. You have a couple years before you'll be able to afford a new car payment, especially if you're going to continue education, or if you're going to want move out of your parents house - even if you find a full time job.

The above is entirely BS if you're a genius with a job at Apple waiting for you when your diploma dries. In that case, go nuts.

15. Jun 18, 2013 at 3:40 PM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    Ur gonna save money in the long run to get a taco first if that'd what u want Any way. If gonna lose money trading it selling another vehicle in 5 years plus have 5 years of intrest before u even get a tacoma payment. If u really want one save till it hurts and shop around for a good deal. Cargurus.com is a pretty good site imo, and when u find it pull the trigger amd make smart decisions at least until its paid for.

16. Jun 18, 2013 at 3:50 PM
    jparf

jparf blissfully biased

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Silver Highlander Limited
    You're on a tacoma forum. Do you really think everyone is going to try and persuade you to get anything other than a Toyota?

Anyway, get the Tacoma if funds allow. You won't be disappointed and you won't keep thinking 'what if' everytime you see one. All vehicles squeak. Tacomas are for the most part reliable.

17. Jun 18, 2013 at 4:08 PM
    TailDrag

Member:
    I gotta disagree with this. OP is 17! Unless he's a genius he's going to get a minimum wage, part time job for the next 2 years. If he is smart, then it doesn't matter if his income provides for it. Either way, there's no point in having the car of your dreams when you're 17, when it breaks down and sits in the driveway because you can't afford to fix it.

18. Jun 18, 2013 at 4:15 PM
    Mattnatti

Mattnatti TEQ HED

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    12' reg cab 4x4 2.7L auto
    If you have to ask then don't get a Tacoma. You will learn quickly after that grasshopper. ^^This says a lot.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  19. Jun 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Tacoma! At least if you have little squeaks you can fix them yourself. Plus you get to know your truck if you look for little things like that. Personally my truck doesn't squeak except for the rear springs which aren't toyota springs as I'm lifted. All they need are to be cleaned and it goes away. The rest of my truck is perfect. I've owned 3 toyota's and wouldn't think of buying something else. I had my last truck 12 years and knew every inch of it. Buy you a Taco and learn everything there is to know about this truck. When it's out of warranty you will thank yourself for knowing how and what to do to fix it if anything every happens to it.

20. Jun 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    WTFaulkner

WTFaulkner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    SLC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Stuff
    I got a Tacoma because it will run forever with regular maintenance.

Every vehicle is going to need regular maintenance, but the thing that gets you spending is modifying the vehicle, I have only needed regular maintenance on my Tacoma I didn't have to fix any minor things besides the temp/compass gauge then again electronics come undone and stop working in any vehicle soo it come down too what do you want?

That's why I got the most reliable truck on the market and because it was the truck that I have been drooling over for years:cool:!

Products Discussed in

To Top