1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone had luck fixing a windshield leak?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jshsltr, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Jun 19, 2013 at 8:27 AM
    jshsltr

jshsltr [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    St Louis
    My 07 has been crying from the overhead console. I removed the headliner and found that the sealant is no longer sealing in at least 2-3 places along the top of the windshield.

The window seal itself seems to be fine. It is leaking past the adhesive which has become hard and rubbery.

Thinking about spending $10 and trying to take care of it myself rather than spending $150-200 to have it resealed.

Tips or input would be appreciated. Such as a clever way to get the new adhesive behind the window seal at the top of the cab. Its a pretty tight fit.

2. Jun 19, 2013 at 8:37 AM
    georgeandkanoa

georgeandkanoa the point is simply this

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    calgary
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma trd
    bilstein5100's front tinted windows access cover pioneer stereo weathertechs grillcraft grill kc's behind cbi sliders
    I had leaks in my 07 also, tried to fix it myself to no avail,had to take it in and have it resealed.

3. Jun 19, 2013 at 9:01 AM
    jshsltr

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    St Louis
    How much did it cost you to have it resealed?

4. Jun 19, 2013 at 9:06 AM
    WHPLSH3

WHPLSH3 Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Spruce Mica 6spd 4x4
    Build thread coming soon!
    What a glass shop will do to reseal it is run urethane along the inside of the glass from edge to edge. You can do it yourself if you feel up to it- just undo the interior trim along the windshield posts so the headliner will drop down slightly. Try not to smear it on anything! But if you do, methyl hydrate is the best thing to clean it off with while it's still wet.

5. Jun 19, 2013 at 6:33 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    I would just take it to a glass shop and get it done professionally. If they mess up they have to fix it. This means you don't have to worry about spilling shit all over, new leaks and whatever else

6. Jun 19, 2013 at 9:18 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    http://www.topindustrial.com/index.php?loc=products&sub=900

this stuff is amazing. if your looking for a quick fix and are good at caulking, this will do it. . . . for-ev-er.

we use this stuff extensively at work, as an adhesive, and sealant between any commercially available materials. I unfortunately have no idea what store you could find this in though

7. Jun 25, 2013 at 6:04 AM
    jshsltr

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    St Louis
    Thanks.

I think i may have stopped the leak(for now anyway). I used a urethane sealant from HD. Took my time and did a fairly clean and thorough job of caulking it into the seam between the window seal and the metal window edge. If my $6 fix doesnt last then its going to the shop.

8. Jun 25, 2013 at 6:49 AM
    Agent Smith

Agent Smith Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad Ivan Stewart Edition
    Toytec lift,FJ Anthracite wheels wrapped in BFG A/T 265/75/16's,WAAG Brush Guard, IPF 868's,sleeved fog lights
    Just be aware of one thing. Years ago, on my '67 Ford, I did the same thing as you. The sealant/adhesive dried out on my rear window and I had a water leak straight into my trunk. I used sealant to plug the leak and it worked. For many years, the car was garaged. Years later I had the car restored, to include removing and resealing the front and back windows. The shop had to fix the pinch weld (where the out roof skin meets inner and the rubber seal lays) because it had rusted badly. I'm not saying that is your case, but if you plan on keeping your rig for awhile its something to consider.

9. Jun 25, 2013 at 5:53 PM
    jshsltr

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    St Louis
    I have considered this. I may try to find a thin urethane sealant and seal it from the outside as well. But at least for now no water in the cab.

10. Feb 11, 2017 at 12:59 PM
    tacomamekrazy

tacomamekrazy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    NYC
    Vehicle:
    '06 Dbl Cab, only slightly modded (so far!)
    About 4-5 years ago Safelite replaced the windshield on my '06. A few weeks ago I noticed water leaking from the overhead display.

I took it in and they confirmed the leak at the top of the windshield. The tech told me that he sees this a lot and it has to do with the style of moulding that Toyota uses on these trucks.

There was a lot of rust on the old moulding, which tells me that water was getting in there a long time before I caught the leak. I got kinda lucky this time, there was no serious damage. They installed a different style moulding that has better drainage. Look out for this one folks!

Products Discussed in

To Top