Notices

Camper Shell Options For My 2013 Tacoma

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
weatherbox is on a distinguished road
Name: Charles
weatherbox's Tacoma Gallery
Camper Shell Options For My 2013 Tacoma

I'm looking to get a camper shell by the 29th of this month. I will be driving up the coast of CA and camping in the back. I'm not going to be in any sort of harsh conditions except that it does get hot here during the summer months.

I looked at Leer and I like the 100xl. I think that because it has sliding windows and removable screens that I should get enough ventilation to sleep in the shell. I am wondering if anyone here has had this cap and could recommend some accessories that might be worth investing in like the interior liner, etc. Maybe there is a better camper shell for what I am looking to do? I looked at A.R.E but I am not familiar with the brand at all.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Definiy get the carpet headliner so you dont pull out all of your hair on the unfinished fiberglass interior. It also helps keep condensation down. The led lights seem like a good idea until they stop working in a week or so.. Get the 12 volt one.. It will work. I also added the pet screens.. Great for dogs and or a little more security.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
cstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant future

cstallings's Tacoma Gallery
I doubt you can get one that quick even if you order one right now. I have a leer xr, which I love. They told me 2-4 weeks. I believe I recieved it in 2 weeks.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
cstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant future

Oh yea...I have a electric actuator on my lock. Best investment ever...
Old 06-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
Definiy get the carpet headliner so you dont pull out all of your hair on the unfinished fiberglass interior. It also helps keep condensation down. The led lights seem like a good idea until they stop working in a week or so.. Get the 12 volt one.. It will work. I also added the pet screens.. Great for dogs and or a little more security.
Thanks! I was thinking about the 12 volt light already. Seems handy. I will consider the headliner for sure as well as the pet screens.. I plan on getting a dog soon so might as well prepare.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstallings View Post
I doubt you can get one that quick even if you order one right now. I have a leer xr, which I love. They told me 2-4 weeks. I believe I recieved it in 2 weeks.
awe well its looks like i'll be in the tent instead then. thanks man i'm going to at least look at them in person and get more information today.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
clc clc is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
clc clc's Tacoma Gallery
I forget what leer i have but i added the thule rack and the 12volt power outlet in the back. If your camping sleeping in the back def get the outlet. One thing i woukd change is doing the bedrug all around. With my setup and a cot i was extremely comfortable but this was months ago.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Carpeted interior , removeable front slider and consider a commercial rated cap if you intend to put much weight on the roof racks
Old 06-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Don't give up on the shell until you ask your local dealer first. When I ordered my Leer, it only took a week to arrive and that's color-matched. I know they have a facility in northern CA which may be able to get you what you want in time.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
Tacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud ofTacoma VT has much to be proud of

Army: 14J, 3rd ID
Name: Kessler
Tacoma VT's Tacoma Gallery

I have the ARE Z series. It flares at the end for a larger opening. It has a tilt down sliding rear window. Good for allowing the dog to poke her nose into the cab, then fold down and clean her drool. The side window is a split window. It opens at the end and the split breaks up that one piece window look. The Z series is a really tight fit and rather light. You will want the carpet headliner no matter what.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
OK, so I went to a couple different stores and checked everything out. I was quoted just over 2,000 on a snug top rebel with the upgrades in question at a store in Escondido. However, I found a nice store in San Diego where the guy quoted me 2,033 dollars for a Leer XR with these upgrades:
roof rack, removable & sliding window, pet screens, carpeted interior (included), 12v light (included), installation & lock actuator. He also offered to lend me something comparable for my trip free of charge until I get my actual Leer in.

I think this is a pretty stellar deal? What do you guys think. I am going to be pulling the trigger today or tomorrow because I leave Friday. Thanks for all your suggestions guys!
Old 06-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #13

Sounds like a good deal, but even better customer service. I have a leer xr with carpet, pets screens, sliding removable back glass, 12 volt light, and lock actuator. I paid right at 1900 out the door. This was the best deal I could find around my area. Wish I would have gotten a roof rack, but I assume I can always add it.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #14

Be sure to look for coupons on the leer website. They usually have something on there.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #15
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherbox View Post
OK, so I went to a couple different stores and checked everything out. I was quoted just over 2,000 on a snug top rebel with the upgrades in question at a store in Escondido. However, I found a nice store in San Diego where the guy quoted me 2,033 dollars for a Leer XR with these upgrades:
roof rack, removable & sliding window, pet screens, carpeted interior (included), 12v light (included), installation & lock actuator. He also offered to lend me something comparable for my trip free of charge until I get my actual Leer in.

I think this is a pretty stellar deal? What do you guys think. I am going to be pulling the trigger today or tomorrow because I leave Friday. Thanks for all your suggestions guys!

pull the trigger.. thats customer service!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #16
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 180CC.

Its been a great shell. Got it in 08.

For me the pull out front window was a waste because I have never really had to pull out to clean. Also the 12 volt light my dealer used was POS and did not take long to break. Have them wire it but look for a better one. Or at least ask to see the one they install and ask if they have a better one. And the 12 power supply was a joke. I guess that is another dealer supplied item? They mounted with only one screw and it poked out in the way. Again if you want one have them wire it but look for a better one.

YES on the carpet.

One last thing order a can of LPS #3 to spray in the locks and they will last forever. And spray in once a year before winter. Also works great on cables and chains. Just don't use the #1 or 2 they are for different things.

http://www.amazon.com/LPS-LABS-00316.../dp/B000Z34GWK

Products Discussed in this Thread