Notices

Ride height on 4x4 vs. Prerunner ?

Old 06-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
Rabbit n Pancakes vs. Chicken n Waffles
Aryota is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
Aryota's Tacoma Gallery
Ride height on 4x4 vs. Prerunner ?

Prior to the '09 TRD-OR 4x4 I'm driving now, I had an '11 TRD-OR Prerunner. There is a substantial difference in the ride height in that the Prerunner sits higher. A guy I work with has a '13 TSS-Sport Prerunner and sometimes parks beside me. Again, the Prerunner sits higher. His DOES have 17" wheels vs. my 16".

Do ya'll think the 4x4's general sit lower because they are heavier?
Old 06-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Make sense, they are lighter
Old 06-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
Probably. Also the truck sits higher when new, my truck got noticeably lower after about 3 month of driving it off the lot. Springs settle, excuse to get 5100s when tires wear out
Old 06-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't think it would be due to the weight, since the only unsprung difference is the xfer case and a couple of U-joints.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
In case anyone was curious; 235lbs. difference between 4x4 and 4x2 V6 autos according to Toyota website curb weights.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Don't forget the front driveshaft, front diff, CV shafts and that heavy ass 4WD selector button

I would say the front diff, cv shafts, driveshaft, and transfer case are enough to make a noticable difference in ride height of the same truck (body style)
Diff and CV shafts are not sprung weight, i.e., their weight is not on the springs, so will not affect ride height.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
byrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud ofbyrd has much to be proud of

Name: David
byrd's Tacoma Gallery
Just looked at the specifications sheet for my '06...
4x2 Reg 65.7
4x2 Access 65.7
4x2 X-Runner 65.2
PreRunner Reg 69.9
PreRunner Access 69.9
PreRunner Double Cab 70.1
4x4 Reg 69.9
4x4 Access 69.9
4x4 Double Cab 70.1

So no difference in height between 4x4 & PreRunner for the '06 model vs model
Only a 2wd Tacoma & X-Runner are shorter from factory.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #8
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
we are not talking about a solid front axle truck here, IFS differential will definitely add to the sprung weight. The CV shafts maybe not so much.
How dare you bring facts and logic to an Internet discussion! Are you new here!!

Yup, you are correct sir, I R wrong.