Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Kayak rack?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #21
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Socalduckslayer's Tacoma Gallery
Roof rack works perfect
Kayak rack?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371783986.591005.jpg
Old 06-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #22
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdNick View Post
This was my old set up. Cheapo roof bars from Pepboys. Ended up loosing the kayaks at 55 mph!!! Luckily they were tied to the toolbox. It ripped the toolbox from the bed and the tool box ended up at the tailgate. Ended up dragging the yaks for a little until I could pull off the road. I was so pissed/worried/shaken up that I did not get a picture of the actual carnage. But needless to say I bought my Tracracs the next weekend. Lesson of story, get the proper equipment the first time.
Ouch!! You answered one of my questions.... The durability of hauling yaks directly on the roof of an access cab. You probably would've been OK with a better quality roof rack.... Just looks like the access cab is too short. Double cabs have an advantage....

After seeing your experience.... I think I'd go with one roof rack and a hitch mounted setup. I like the hitch mounted setup just for the sake of keeping the bed open (I have a tonneau cover). I have two 10' kayaks.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #23
Odie
trdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdNick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Ouch!! You answered one of my questions.... The durability of hauling yaks directly on the roof of an access cab. You probably would've been OK with a better quality roof rack.... Just looks like the access cab is too short. Double cabs have an advantage....

After seeing your experience.... I think I'd go with one roof rack and a hitch mounted setup. I like the hitch mounted setup just for the sake of keeping the bed open (I have a tonneau cover). I have two 10' kayaks.
Yes I'm sure Thule or Yakima racks would be just fine, but they are quite pricey. Yes that sounds like a solid set up for a toneau cover. Plus putting that 74 lb kayak on the roof was a PITA!
Old 06-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #24
Seer will become famous soon enoughSeer will become famous soon enough
Name: Tom
Seer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalduckslayer View Post
Roof rack works perfect
Attachment 219037
Do you ride your yak on any cradles attached to your roof rack?
Old 06-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #25
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes I'm sure Thule or Yakima racks would be just fine, but they are quite pricey. Yes that sounds like a solid set up for a toneau cover. Plus putting that 74 lb kayak on the roof was a PITA!
Holy crap!??? 74lb ?? You'll need a little winch hoist up there eventually.

Yeah...OEM wouldn't be any cheaper (for a roof rack setup). It'd be a matter of logistics..... how well they play together.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #26
Odie
trdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdNick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Holy crap!??? 74lb ?? You'll need a little winch hoist up there eventually.

Yeah...OEM wouldn't be any cheaper (for a roof rack setup). It'd be a matter of logistics..... how well they play together.
Yeah its a beast! I'm pretty sure you can buy just one cross bar from Yakima or Thule so that should save some there.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #27
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Socalduckslayer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seer View Post
Do you ride your yak on any cradles attached to your roof rack?
No but it's not a bad idea. Yak defiantly rides better upside down tho. Loading is cake, I put it on the front bumper hoop in the v where the outside hoops tie in to the center and grab the other end and slide up on up. It's a monster yak too, 16'
Old 06-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #28
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a OEM rack and use these to carry 2 Dagger 10.5 Axis Kayaks. I don't have a picture of them on the truck but next time we take them out I'll get one. I remove the mounts when not in use even though they fold down. They still have a lot of wind noise going down the road folded.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:02 AM   #29
ndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: NICK
ndcmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This was my old set up. Cheapo roof bars from Pepboys. Ended up loosing the kayaks at 55 mph!!! Luckily they were tied to the toolbox. It ripped the toolbox from the bed and the tool box ended up at the tailgate. Ended up dragging the yaks for a little until I could pull off the road. I was so pissed/worried/shaken up that I did not get a picture of the actual carnage. But needless to say I bought my Tracracs the next weekend. Lesson of story, get the proper equipment the first time.

Holly Shat ! That looks a lot like my setup...might have to double check my tie downs!
Old 06-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #30
Seer will become famous soon enoughSeer will become famous soon enough
Name: Tom
Seer's Tacoma Gallery
Those J saddles seem to work for many folk. I had a set of those on my previous truck and broke my nose and even worse a great pair of sunglasses throwing my yak up on them one day. They're now in the box in my garage. Time to do an Ebay. I use the gull wing saddles from Oak Orchard now. Much easier on my face!
Old 06-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #31
PinkTaco69 is a glorious beacon of lightPinkTaco69 is a glorious beacon of lightPinkTaco69 is a glorious beacon of lightPinkTaco69 is a glorious beacon of lightPinkTaco69 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Luke
PinkTaco69's Tacoma Gallery
For you all with the Trac Racs, you NEED these tie downs. They are retractable and mount to the top of the load bars. http://www.etrailer.com/Cargo-Tie-Do...IMF104933.html
Old 06-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #32
Mechanic for Honda
Mossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to all

Coast Guard: Prior service
Name: billy
Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
He'd still need to add the crossbars as he doesn't have the factory rails. This'd be a good time to ask the OP what kind of yak he's paddling and what model he's driving. That J setup on the cab would work great for a shorter yak and a DC model. The setup I use works great for the long boats and DC, or shorter boats and single cab.
Cobra fish n dive. And a double cab with 6 in lift and 35s. Still a pain to load in the bed! Haha

Kayak rack?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371833300.851753.jpg
Old 06-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #33
Mechanic for Honda
Mossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to all

Coast Guard: Prior service
Name: billy
Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Mossy, with you not having a roof rack, I'd so recommend you take a long hard look at these TracRacks. I could see you using these for a lot more than just hauling your boats around.
Thanks. I'll look into those
Old 06-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #34
rbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: ARFF @ ROC
Name: Rich
rbishopp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

TracRack. Only $400 for the whole set up and has double the capacity of the roof rack. Could be removed in 10 minutes if needed. I carry a 12 ft and a 10 ft
Nick, your tool box just sits on top of the rack legs ? I assume you moved it back a few inches too.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #35
Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?
coma09 will become famous soon enoughcoma09 will become famous soon enough
coma09's Tacoma Gallery
made this out of 1.5" PVC.
Verticals go against the tailgate, and I tie a bungie across the bottom.

Cab roof uses a Yakima roof rack with the kayak V pads.

If you look hard, you will see the left side of the rack has a 2" PVC pipe sleeved over the 1.5" and acts as a loading/unloading roller. If you had 2 kayaks you could do the same on the other side.

The sides are as deep as the tailgate to wheel well, and prevents it from sliding forward.

I just winged it, sizing by eye and checking the height of the bar against the height of the roof rack to have the kayak level. Took an hour and a half to cut and assemble.

You could make two and use T fittings to make fore/aft supports and eliminate the roof rack.
I already had the rack, and just needed the legs to fit the rack towers.

Home Depot - about $55.00 including glue.
Attached Thumbnails
Kayak rack?-kr.jpg  
Old 06-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #36
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
this topic has been covered extensively in the Kayak thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/spo...ml#post3361057

a little searching can go a long way
Old 06-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #37
Odie

trdNick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbishopp View Post
Nick, your tool box just sits on top of the rack legs ? I assume you moved it back a few inches too.
The top.of the clamps have a threaded hole so the toolbox is actually bolted to the base of the racks
Old 06-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #38
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The top.of the clamps have a threaded hole so the toolbox is actually bolted to the base of the racks
If you flip the rack you won't have 4" of dead space behind the tool box.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #39
Odie

trdNick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
If you flip the rack you won't have 4" of dead space behind the tool box.
I've thought about it. The greater spread on the racks is more desirable to me than the extra 4 inches of bed space. I guess I couod try it but with the 12 ft yak the spread is nice.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #40
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've thought about it. The greater spread on the racks is more desirable to me than the extra 4 inches of bed space. I guess I couod try it but with the 12 ft yak the spread is nice.
Check out the yak thread. I got my set up in there. No prob with my 12' yak, 16, lumber, or 40' extension ladder.

Products Discussed in this Thread