Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Kayak rack?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Mechanic for Honda
Mossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to all

Coast Guard: Prior service
Name: billy
Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
Kayak rack?

Anyone making racks for kayaks. I don't like loosing the bed space
Old 06-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Seer will become famous soon enoughSeer will become famous soon enough
Name: Tom
Seer's Tacoma Gallery
Yakima Dry Dock.

Plugs into the receiver when you need it, hangs on the garage wall when you don't.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Pitchfork311 has a brilliant futurePitchfork311 has a brilliant futurePitchfork311 has a brilliant futurePitchfork311 has a brilliant futurePitchfork311 has a brilliant futurePitchfork311 has a brilliant futurePitchfork311 has a brilliant futurePitchfork311 has a brilliant futurePitchfork311 has a brilliant futurePitchfork311 has a brilliant futurePitchfork311 has a brilliant future

Name: Trick
Pitchfork311's Tacoma Gallery
can also get a roof rack, depending on if you have oem or not, they have adapter kits and full roof rack kits, search around
Old 06-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seer View Post
Yakima Dry Dock.

Plugs into the receiver when you need it, hangs on the garage wall when you don't.
Nice!! I don't know if I'm going to need one or not..... Depending on which type of vehicle my husband buys this fall. Right now, we've been only using the truck as a 'return' vehicle on local runs and we throw the yaks in the bed.

Does that mount to the roof gutters (for lack of a better word)? I have an access cab without any special roof rails.... and 2" receiver?

We love Yakima...he has a Yakima Bow Down rack on the SUV.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
Seer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Nice!! I don't know if I'm going to need one or not..... Depending on which type of vehicle my husband buys this fall. Right now, we've been only using the truck as a 'return' vehicle on local runs and we throw the yaks in the bed.

Does that mount to the roof gutters (for lack of a better word)? I have an access cab without any special roof rails.... and 2" receiver?

We love Yakima...he has a Yakima Bow Down rack on the SUV.

Thanks!
It does go in the 2" receiver. I have the front saddles attached to the OEM rails. I know Yakima has the tower and clips for the Taco. I would guess the clips hook in between the door and the body. I take the whole mess, the saddles off the front and the Dry Dock off the back when I'm not using them.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Mechanic for Honda
Mossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to all

Coast Guard: Prior service
Name: billy
Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have a factory roof rack on mine
Old 06-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
Seer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
I don't have a factory roof rack on mine
Then you'd go with the Yakima or Thule rack for your cab. If you go with the Dry Dock, then you'd need just one cab rack.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
ndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: NICK
ndcmack's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.amazon.com/PK-KR2-Pairs-B...1779628&sr=1-5

I use a product similar to these on the factory roof rack. I've carried 2kayaks up there for a couple hundred miles, they worked well. Wish I had apicture to show ya the setup. I'll take one next time I load them up.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
Seer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcmack View Post
http://www.amazon.com/PK-KR2-Pairs-B...1779628&sr=1-5

I use a product similar to these on the factory roof rack. I've carried 2kayaks up there for a couple hundred miles, they worked well. Wish I had apicture to show ya the setup. I'll take one next time I load them up.
He'd still need to add the crossbars as he doesn't have the factory rails. This'd be a good time to ask the OP what kind of yak he's paddling and what model he's driving. That J setup on the cab would work great for a shorter yak and a DC model. The setup I use works great for the long boats and DC, or shorter boats and single cab.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
Odie
trdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdNick's Tacoma Gallery

TracRack. Only $400 for the whole set up and has double the capacity of the roof rack. Could be removed in 10 minutes if needed. I carry a 12 ft and a 10 ft
Old 06-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
Seer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdNick View Post

TracRack. Only $400 for the whole set up and has double the capacity of the roof rack. Could be removed in 10 minutes if needed. I carry a 12 ft and a 10 ft
Nice, how does that attach to your bed? What's the carrying capacity on those bad boys?
Old 06-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #12
Odie
trdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdNick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice, how does that attach to your bed? What's the carrying capacity on those bad boys?
The clamps slide into the bed rails and then clamp between bed cap and bottom of rail.

800 lbs
Old 06-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #13
Seer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdNick View Post
The clamps slide into the bed rails and then clamp between bed cap and bottom of rail.

800 lbs
Again, nice! Who makes'em?
Old 06-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
Odie

trdNick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Again, nice! Who makes'em?
Brand is TracRack, but they are made by Thule. I picked them up on clearance last summer at Lowes for 300 then it was 100 for the Tacoma specific mounts.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #15
Seer's Tacoma Gallery
Mossy, with you not having a roof rack, I'd so recommend you take a long hard look at these TracRacks. I could see you using these for a lot more than just hauling your boats around.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #16
Odie

trdNick's Tacoma Gallery
and the bed cleats fit in the cross members for extra tie downs! I honestly think they are the best value for the money!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #17
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
hmm, no kayak racks. Thule 500xt or something racks, I didn't like anyone's kayak mounts for fit reasons so I just do it the old way.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #18
Odie

trdNick's Tacoma Gallery
This was my old set up. Cheapo roof bars from Pepboys. Ended up loosing the kayaks at 55 mph!!! Luckily they were tied to the toolbox. It ripped the toolbox from the bed and the tool box ended up at the tailgate. Ended up dragging the yaks for a little until I could pull off the road. I was so pissed/worried/shaken up that I did not get a picture of the actual carnage. But needless to say I bought my Tracracs the next weekend. Lesson of story, get the proper equipment the first time.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #19
Seer's Tacoma Gallery
OUCH!!!
Old 06-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #20
Odie

trdNick's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah it was quite the experience. My number one fear when carrying yaks happened the second time I was carrying them. My 12 ft yak held up like a champ though! Only a scratch on the bow.

Products Discussed in this Thread