1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

U-Joint Questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jamsandwich, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Jun 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM
    jamsandwich

jamsandwich [OP] Ski Bum

Member:
    Teton Village, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD OR 6spd
    I have a 2009 DCSB 4x4 6 Spd and I bought my truck 3000 miles ago. I appear to have developed a failing/failed rear u joint. Something is occasionally chirping from 0-25mph from the rear of the truck. It increases in frequency as the wheel speed increases and stops when I let off the gas or put it in neutral. Also seems worse when going up hills. Didnt check for play but the rear ujoint is really rusty looking. I'm going to guess this means that the previous owner didn't keep up very good maintenance considering the truck has 70k miles and these joints have greaseable zerk fittings. Here is what it looks like at the u joints:

Rear:
    [​IMG]

Carrier Bearing and middle joint:
    [​IMG]

Can anyone tell me what tools I will need to replace the rear u joint? I've got a decent set of hand tools and have taken a driveshaft off to be balanced (on my old rover discovery 4x4) in the past. Never replaced a u joint though. Can anyone take a picture of a u joint that happens to be sitting on the u joint replacement page of the repair manual for this truck? :)

There seems to be some discussion of using Auto Parts stores replacement u joints instead of buying toyota parts from the dealer. Is there any real difference and is it worth the extra 40-50 per joint?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  2. Jun 20, 2013 at 7:24 PM
    White Bear

White Bear Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Probably have the only 2nd Gen with an 8274 in the world.
    I think the bolts/nuts are 14mm, a couple end wrenches for them. I drive the old joint out with a large chisel and shop maul, strike on the axle of the joint not the caps - the caps will bust. I used a large c-clamp and a socket of appropriate size to press the old caps out if one is left after driving the joint out, and to press the new caps in. A pair of needle nose pliers to remove the snap rings.

Some folks might use a bench vise but I did mine on the tail gate.

3. Jun 20, 2013 at 7:34 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    $96.21 is what I needed to change my middle ujoint (good, private mechanic).

I felt vibration anytime it was moving, regardless of speed.

4. Jun 20, 2013 at 8:03 PM
    jamsandwich

jamsandwich [OP] Ski Bum

Member:
    Teton Village, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD OR 6spd
    thanks man. confident this one is totally within my abilities (and tools).

Products Discussed in

To Top