Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do you use your RCSA (side air bag) turn off button?

Old 06-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
jsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jsi's Tacoma Gallery
Do you use your RCSA (side air bag) turn off button?

I've been driving off-road vehicles for many years and before my Tacoma they've been pretty basic vehicles, not a lot of electronics and sensors. (like none). Now with the Off Road option package I've got more whistles and bells than I know what to do with. Thanks to the search function I have a handle on some of them, but not much is said about the RCSA button. The owners manual say use it for extreme off-roading, but doesn't define what that is.

So does anyone mess with the RCSA button? How does Toyota define extreme off road?
Old 06-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
:D
Jux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Jux's Tacoma Gallery
My understanding is that it deploys at a certain roll angle.

I do not know what that angle is.

Edit: more info:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...questions.html
Old 06-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
jsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jsi's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the link. The question I have is how does the system handle slow speed rolls rather than impact. Obviously Toyota thinks the side air bags could deploy inappropriately or they wouldn't have included the option to turn them off. In my experience one guys "we are going to ROLL!! " is another guys "don't be such a sissy" Personally I'd like the bags to deploy if it really does roll, just to keep my body parts inside the cab and not being crushed outside the window.

But, lacking a definition of "extreme" I'm wondering what others do or if there have been reports of the side bags going of for no reason.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
Spitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpitz Stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Spitz Stang's Tacoma Gallery
I believe Extreme Off Roading is off roading while drinking Mountain Dew.