1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Leer cap, how much leaking is "normal"?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mck, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Jun 20, 2013 at 9:20 PM
    mck

mck [OP] Member

Member:
    I just had a new Leer cap installed last week. Today was the first time driving it in the rain (for about 20 minutes). I looked in the back once I got home and found that there was a big puddle of water on the "windowsill" of the slider window on the driver's side, mostly in the front half of the "windowsill". The passenger side windowsill was completely dry. Based on my conversation with the dealer, I was expecting some water on the bottom of the bed from the various holes in the bed and the storage compartments, but I the puddle I found had to have come from the windows and there was enough water that it must have been a pretty decent drip.

I was going to go inside the shell the next time it rains to see just how bad and where the leak is before I decide whether or not to take it back to the dealer. How much leaking is normal? Since the passenger side was dry, I am thinking the large amount of water on the driver side means that something is wrong. I did notice that on the outside driver's side, part of the rubber gasket is sticking out below the window frame. Are the windows expected to leak under a regular rainstorm?

2. Jun 20, 2013 at 9:27 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    My side windows only leak a bit if I blast straight at them with the car wash pressure washer , never in rain

3. Jun 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM
    JayAre

JayAre Well-Known Member

Member:
    OR
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB
    I live in Oregon (rains a ton). My Leer has never leaked.

4. Jun 20, 2013 at 9:56 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Reading comprehension issue

5. Jun 20, 2013 at 10:05 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Only leak a bit if I directly blast a pressure nozzle at the window seal of the slider

Has NEVER leaked in normal conditions of rain , and we get rain for 6 months in fall / winter / spring

6. Jun 20, 2013 at 10:10 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    you're

7. Jun 20, 2013 at 10:12 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    :)

8. Jun 21, 2013 at 3:40 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    My Leer has never leaked from the windows. Just a bit from the holes in the tailgate/door seal.

9. Jun 21, 2013 at 3:58 AM
    mdcmn7

mdcmn7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    East Coast
    Agreed, I was not impressed with the quality of mine. My leer leaked from the tail light And the dealer gave me some crap About it being normal

10. Jun 21, 2013 at 4:11 AM
    reddz

reddz New Member

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I had my new Leer cap installed a year ago and it never leaks. Ask the dealer to look at it again and make some adjustments. It may have shifted some and caused a leak unless it truly is a defective part. Then Leer should fix it under warranty.

Good luck.

11. Jun 21, 2013 at 5:46 AM
    Zarny

Zarny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Prem
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    Same. And it's true, Leer isn't making the same quality as before. I had a Ranger with same cap like my taco and it looked better inside and out. On the tacos cap there are these little things showing they cut corners.

12. Jun 21, 2013 at 7:17 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Like what

13. Jun 21, 2013 at 9:05 AM
    mck

mck [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks a lot for your quick replies! I didn't expect so many replies overnight.

Do they have to take the cap off to fix window leaks? The reason I ask is that the shell came with a few small gouges in the paint. The gouges are tiny, but the touch up job that the dealer did to fix it just covers up the white fiberglass that was visible -- the touch up paint that came with the top is not the same color as the top so you can see a difference. Plus there is a piece of rubber sticking out below the outside of the frame of one of the side windows that I don't think is supposed to be sticking out. (Actually, it's the window that leaked.)

The dealer said that they could send the cap back to be repainted, but I need to let them know soon. I was thinking that having them uninstall then reinstall the cap means more chances of them accidentally scratching up the truck, so it might be better not to get the cap repainted. But if it has to be removed to fix the windows, then I might as well ask for the paint to be fixed too.

14. Jun 21, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Get them to send it back and mention the window seals

15. Jun 22, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    Zarny

Zarny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Prem
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Like the cap isn't symmetrical. The installer (Hutch city) measured their install and the cap sits like it's supposed to, but it sticks about 1/2 inch more on the right then left end.
    The glass door doesn't lock easy. One side catches on while the other won't half the time. The installer said to come back after a month if it won't fix itself.
    Removable front slider was installed poorly and had to be re-done.
    Weather rubber seal around glass door had to be re-done. It was glued unevenly and was sticking out by 1/4 inch on left upper corner.
    Rough finish of fiberglass sides (bottom of the cap). One can cut oneself ie. cleaning the truck sides.

I will keep the cap the way it is, because I really need the security it gives my tools. I won't wait another month for factory return.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  16. Jun 22, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    There is an adjustment in the handles FYI

You mean the cap is longer by 1/2" front to back when comparing the two sides ?

17. Jun 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM
    Captarm

Captarm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Armand
    Maine and Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Silver/Black, Tinted windows
    Leather Arm Rest Firestone Ride-rite K&N oil air Filter Wet Okole Black/Gray w heated seats Alpine CDE-123 receiver w Blue tooth,MP3,USB port AP Rock-sliders Viper Auto starter, should have gotten with alarm Anytime Fogs NOKYA7626 yellow lights Muth Heated, Signal Mirror Leer Cap Silver stream line top Differential Breather Mod
    O percent. I have a Leer cap on my DC and have no leaks at all.

18. Jun 22, 2013 at 2:13 PM
    blair

blair Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blair
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 PreRunner
    I got a Leer 100xr about 2months ago. Mine leaks in the same place but on the other side. Through the passenger side window towards the rear of the window. I've taken it back to the installer, but they can't seem to figure out how to stop the leak. Also, the bottom of the cap has sharp edges as well where it overlaps the bed. If I had to do it all over again I'd still get the Leer. I just don't like the looks of the ARE and Snugtop isn't available in my area

19. Jun 22, 2013 at 6:59 PM
    Zarny

Zarny Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Prem
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    It must be. That or my bed isn't symmetrical.

20. Jun 22, 2013 at 7:06 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    The only time mine leaks is when I wash it. It might be your truck bed that's off. Mine is about 1/2" closer to the cab on the driver side. I never noticed it until trying to square up the shell.

Products Discussed in

To Top