1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brakes Squeaking in the Morning

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cheeseit, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Jun 20, 2013 at 11:26 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    Does any one else's trucks brakes sometimes squeak in the morning?

Mine do it sporadically only when backing out of my drive way first thing in the morning. It doesn't happen only when it's wet/cold/warm/whatever it just seems to randomly do it some mornings. On the days it does squeak once I get up my road about 50 feet to a stop sign it never squeaks.

Not a big deal I'm sure new pads would stop it I was just curious if other people had the same thing going on.

2. Jun 20, 2013 at 11:30 PM
    trooper12

trooper12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Trabuco Canyon, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 PreRunner
    maxtrac 4" lift spindles, wheelers 1.5" 3 leaf pack. nothin special...
    Overnight your rotors will rust a little bit (due to the moisture in the air). The squeaking is caused by the pads rubbing against the rough rotor, and the rust is rubbed off almost immediately when you start driving. It is perfectly normal, and new pads wont help.

3. Dec 2, 2015 at 7:23 AM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I am now having this exact same issue. I bought my 05 a couple years ago used. No idea what pads/rotors were on it. Last January I got my frame replaced, and at the time I had new calipers, pads and rotors put on by the dealer because the calipers were sticking. They replaced them with I assume factory parts, cause the dealer did everything. So now lately, I am having this same issue. Never had this issue before now, and haven't had it on any other car. When backing out of my driveway or when pulling out and stopping after the car has sat at work. For the first slow speed stop or two the brakes squeak HORRIBLY. Like to the point I'm pretty sure I'm waking up the entire neighborhood. After I get going, it stops. I took the truck into the dealer monday to have them look at it. They said it was normal, just the pads getting rid of the rust, and there wasn't anything they could do besides turning the rotors. Well the rotors are brand new so I didn't want them to do that.
    Is there anything that can be done besides replace the rotors with some nice brembo ones, or do I just deal with it.

4. Dec 4, 2015 at 6:32 AM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    Well, called the dealer and they are going to replace the rotors and pads under warranty on Monday.

5. Dec 26, 2016 at 3:46 PM
    HB Taco

HB Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 F150 FX4 S Crew 3.5 TT
    Old thread but exactly what my truck is doing now. I put new pads and rotors on a while back plus flushed out the fluid. Brakes work great just obnoxious squeal backing out of the garage when cold. Anyone have any tips? or just live with it because I'm not replacing otherwise good parts? Also this is after its been in the garage so I don't think much if any rush has formed? Arrgg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  6. Dec 26, 2016 at 6:35 PM
    JCNiest5

JCNiest5 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JV
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road 6' Bed
    OEM brake parts or aftermarket? Don't go with the cheaper parts (if aftermarket). At AutoZone, I experienced squeaking/squealing with their cheap DuraLast basic pads. If I go with their Gold version, no squeaking/squealing. Whatever auto parts stores you go to, go with their top (or near top) of the line and chances are, you won't experience this squeaking/squealing problem.

7. Dec 26, 2016 at 6:42 PM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    its the rear brakes that squeak, my does it , sometimes it goes away. best thing is to remove rear drums clean out with brake cleaner and lubricate the pivot points on the backing plate of the rear assembly

8. Dec 28, 2016 at 8:05 AM
    HB Taco

HB Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 F150 FX4 S Crew 3.5 TT
    Thanks guys, Next time I take the wheels off I will pull the pads and try regreasing the backs/shims and de glaze them. I bet that will resolve it at least for a while? I may have skimped on the grease since I only had one little packet? Went with Wagner Thermo quiet pads and centric rotors bought at Rock Auto online. They're supposed to be a quality OEM replacement. Stops just like new - which isn't that great anyway???

Products Discussed in

To Top